Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
ISO a life coach in Brooklyn

koalamum

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:10 am
I see more ads for how to become a life coach than how to make an appointment with one, lol!
I want to do something with my life as my kids are mostly grown up. My youngest is 16 and dorms in yeshivah.
Who can help me figure out what job would be suitable for me and...I also want to LIKE my job and to feel good about myself....

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:57 am
Are you interested in phone sessions?

koalamum

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:14 am
I’m a little shy on the phone but how would that work?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:22 am
Hi, you are now a life coach. Exactly. There are no legal requirements, no minimal education, no state exams, no licensure, no ethical guidelines, and no board of mental health to deal with. Your 4 year old who wets the bed is one too. Because I (or any random person including yourself) decided that.
Great- you passed!
But buyer beware, life coaches don't need minimal training, have possibly no education or training, and if they do something wrong you have no board to report them to. They could blab all your life secrets and struggles and you have no recourse!!

Maybe find an educational or vocational counselor?

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:35 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Hi, you are now a life coach. Exactly. There are no legal requirements, no minimal education, no state exams, no licensure, no ethical guidelines, and no board of mental health to deal with. Your 4 year old who wets the bed is one too. Because I (or any random person including yourself) decided that.
Great- you passed!
But buyer beware, life coaches don't need minimal training, have possibly no education or training, and if they do something wrong you have no board to report them to. They could blab all your life secrets and struggles and you have no recourse!!

Thats a fairly broad brush stroke against an entire population. While the barrier to entry is lower than other occupations, I am not sure that every life coach out there is a four year old bed wetter. There are many qualified individuals who have gone through rigorous training and are actually helping many people.

koalamum

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:41 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Great- you passed!

Lol!! Do you know any counselors?

koalamum

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:18 pm
ellacoe wrote:
Thats a fairly broad brush stroke against an entire population. While the barrier to entry is lower than other occupations, I am not sure that every life coach out there is a four year old bed wetter. There are many qualified individuals who have gone through rigorous training and are actually helping many people.

I need some recommendations please!!

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:36 pm
ellacoe wrote:

I didn't say all life coaches were 4 year old bed wetters. But one could be- and that is the point. Anyone can be a life coach. It isn't like there is a low barrier- there is NO barrier! There is no board overseeing qualifications, no educational requirement and no required supervised training!
So your post is just like me saying "I know I would be a great doctor. I have read a bunch of books on the subject and spoke to a doctor. Today I am going to call myself a doctor and will start prescribing medication and doing medical tests. I diagnosed my kid's strep throat and my neighbor's pink eye! I have helped people before so why not!?"
Why not? There is a licensing board, actual educational requirements, required training/internships/residencies...and it would be illegal to impersonate a doctor. There is no law against impersonating a life coach as ANYONE can be one today!

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:08 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I didn't say all life coaches were 4 year old bed wetters. But one could be- and that is the point. Anyone can be a life coach. It isn't like there is a low barrier- there is NO barrier! There is no board overseeing qualifications, no educational requirement and no required supervised training!
So your post is just like me saying "I know I would be a great doctor. I have read a bunch of books on the subject and spoke to a doctor. Today I am going to call myself a doctor and will start prescribing medication and doing medical tests. I diagnosed my kid's strep throat and my neighbor's pink eye! I have helped people before so why not!?"
Why not? There is a licensing board, actual educational requirements, required training/internships/residencies...and it would be illegal to impersonate a doctor. There is no law against impersonating a life coach as ANYONE can be one today!

I understand that there is no board overseeing qualifications, however it does not mean that every life coach out there is untrained, which is what you were implying by saying that every coach is like someone impersonating a doctor. There are some programs that are reputable and do have requirements and supervised training.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:09 pm
koalamum wrote:
I need some recommendations please!!

If you want some recommendations please feel free to PM me.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:40 am
ellacoe wrote:
I understand that there is no board overseeing qualifications, however it does not mean that every life coach out there is untrained, which is what you were implying by saying that every coach is like someone impersonating a doctor. There are some programs that are reputable and do have requirements and supervised training.

Again, I never said they all are terrible but there is no way for anyone to check up on status of a life coach as there is no licensing, laws, or basic standards. No he is overseeing those "programs" and no way to determine efficacy or minimum qualifications. Some programs are if you pay enough you eventually get the paper (it is not a degree). There is also no ethical code for them to follow. Since they aren't licensed they don't have to be bound to follow the laws that a real therapist might. So they can share all your secrets to the world, violate professional codes adopted by other professional mental health fields (confidentiality, payments, boundaries, standards of care) and you can't do anything. You can't get them reprimanded by their board or get their license taken away ever as there was never one to begin with! You can't stop them from seriously hurting other people/families.

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:13 pm
koalamum wrote:
I see more ads for how to become a life coach than how to make an appointment with one, lol!
I want to do something with my life as my kids are mostly grown up. My youngest is 16 and dorms in yeshivah.
Who can help me figure out what job would be suitable for me and...I also want to LIKE my job and to feel good about myself....

Hi, please feel free to PM me.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:49 am
Pearl Flax. She's in Boro Park.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics