Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Where is the frugal post? Im starting a new one

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:25 am
I dont find the recent one. I had no vacum bags. Im ing very bad debt. Our income is tiny. Guess what I did? I have seen someone do in the past. I put on gloves and emptied out most of my mielle replaceable bag. Im not alergic to dust, I can handle and Im proud! May Hashem send brochos to everyone

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:02 am
That's great. Google "extreme frugality" for lots of ideas, I'm sure there are some that will work for you.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:05 am
We're in the same bracket. Small income, heavy debt. No vacuum bags. No luxury shopping, we buy what's absolutely crucial to live. No cleaning help... Living low standard but life's great!

aliavi

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:06 am
Hatzlacha. May you and/or your DH have parnassah.

I’ve found that this type of attitude can be empowering and even exciting.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:11 am
Im disoriented without cleaning help. I still cheat and take sometimes but Im getting good at not taking. I was very spoiled as far as housework when I was single. I wish mom forced us at least to make beds and some very minimum.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:35 am
The secret to cleaning is not to let it accumulate. It’s exhausting but worth it.
I wipe down the bathrooms often during the day.
Wash dishes right away
Wipe counters often and right away.
The only thing I’m not great at is sweeping and mopping. B”H DH is, so he does it 3x a week

My frugal go to tips
All chicken bones are used to make chicken broth
All veggie scraps and peels are also put in there.
I put it all in the crock pot, and let it go.

2x a week we eat rice and beans and soup.
Also left over challah from Shabbat.

No left overs EVER gets thrown out- I freeze a bit of this and a bit of that and when I have enough I make a giant soup and blend it smooth.

This might sound disgusting for some, but I save all the fat and drippings from my Shabbat chicken. I use it to add to the rice and beans. To add more nutrients.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:04 am
Nothing is disgusting turqoise. I just dont tell my sisters and friends on the phone. "What happens in my freezer stays in my frezer"

mirror

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:52 pm
As I posted before, free printable HO scale buildings for your son's trains and cars.

1. Illinois state offers 20 free paper models of historic buildings

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnrh......aspx

2. Kraft trains web site for general store buildings:

https://krafttrains.com/Paper_.....ices-(HO-Buildings)/Public-Services-(Buildings).htm

(Note: For Kraft trains web site, it's safe to click on the red icons with the Adobe Acrobat sign. I have done it.)

It is recommended that you use card stock.

aliavi

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:56 pm
Op, was this supposed to be a thread to share tips? I just thought of a hack to share. Instead of buying summer shoes/sandals for home and yard, buy the cheap water socks. They don’t get ruined with water play and the socks stay on, with feet covered. Cheaper than crocs or natives.

I do the broth with scraps too. The collagen is in the bones, so it’s healthy in addition to cheap.

Oatmeal is a fraction of the cost of cereal. Milk is expensive, and may not be necessary for your family. There are other sources of calcium!

Sometimes it’s a good idea to think of one area you want to try and cut down the costs, like the breakfast example above, and focus on that so it seems less overwhelming. Food, clothing, fuel and transportation are some ideas.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:11 pm
aliavi wrote:
Op, was this supposed to be a thread to share tips? I just thought of a hack to share. Instead of buying summer shoes/sandals for home and yard, buy the cheap water socks. They don’t get ruined with water play and the socks stay on, with feet covered. Cheaper than crocs or natives.

I do the broth with scraps too. The collagen is in the bones, so it’s healthy in addition to cheap.

Oatmeal is a fraction of the cost of cereal. Milk is expensive, and may not be necessary for your family. There are other sources of calcium!

Sometimes it’s a good idea to think of one area you want to try and cut down the costs, like the breakfast example above, and focus on that so it seems less overwhelming. Food, clothing, fuel and transportation are some ideas.

You can do oatmeal with water and a splash of milk for taste.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:30 am
But now what I saved is going on a car service

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:08 pm
This is kind of an oxymoronic tip... if you ever indulge in takeout (yeah, once in a while everyone can use a treat) they sometimes come in really nice plastic containers. I save those to use as a saucer under my plants.

(Many of my plants are avocadoes, which cost me only for the pot & soil. Some others I've gotten as gifts. Many plants e.g. peace lily help purify the air.

Well, last night I noticed some tiny gnat-like creatures, smaller than fruit flies, around my plants. I read somewhere you make a solution of garlic & detergent, also I don't seem to have any empty spray bottles around but I was tired & lazy so I just took an almost empty bottle of dish liquid, added some water, and shpritzed all around the plants. No sign of the pests today BH!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics