Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Savanna, Georgia, New Orleans or Charlston, S.C.
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:47 am
Looking to choose location for long winter vacation weekend. What would you pick? We are travelling with teenagers.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:48 am
im not a fan of new orleans

would look into and choose one of the others, probably charleston

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:33 am
They're all nice places with interesting, off-the-beaten-path things to do, but none would be my first choice for a trip with teens. What do your teens like to do, and are you limited to only these options?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:57 am
doctorima wrote:
They're all nice places with interesting, off-the-beaten-path things to do, but none would be my first choice for a trip with teens. What do your teens like to do, and are you limited to only these options?

I am open to ideas. One big requirement is that minyan is a must. I don’t want Miami.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:02 am
Not New Orleans

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Not New Orleans

Why?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:58 pm
many reasons including priztus, avodah zarah, voodoo ish stuff all over, weird death parades...not a particularly healthy or jewish ambience wouldn't choose that for the atmosphere or exposure for my kids in particular and don't like it for us either

unless there is some overwhelming reason to go there then wouldn't

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:34 pm
More family-friendly options to consider depending on your budget are: Norfolk, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego. All should have minyanim, and they all have pros and cons, but I think all are better for teens than the 3 you mentioned.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:05 pm
As someone said previously I was there with my husband for business the most concerning is the attitude of pritzus and nightlife if you try going to the busy areas on motzei shabbos for example we as adults literally felt uncomfortable getting out of the car. I called it Vegas east. Definitely inappropriate for kids. Denver is absolutely beautiful I would try that.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:11 pm
doctorima wrote:
More family-friendly options to consider depending on your budget are: Norfolk, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego. All should have minyanim, and they all have pros and cons, but I think all are better for teens than the 3 you mentioned.

Thanx for the ideas. We want to leave on Thursday morning and come back late Monday. I think some of these locations are a bit to far because we are flying from New York. Chicago is close but I am nervous it might be too cold.

gingleale

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:13 pm
We are doing winter break in Atlanta. Lots to do and see and many kosher restaurants. Found cheap flights from NYC.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
many reasons including priztus, avodah zarah, voodoo ish stuff all over, weird death parades...not a particularly healthy or jewish ambience wouldn't choose that for the atmosphere or exposure for my kids in particular and don't like it for us either

Thank you for clarifying

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:15 pm
gingleale wrote:
We are doing winter break in Atlanta. Lots to do and see and many kosher restaurants. Found cheap flights from NYC.

Is there a hotel walkable to a shul on shabbos?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:05 pm
Yes, I forgot about Atlanta. Coca Cola factory tour and the aquarium are both great for all ages. For teens boys, there's the College Football Hall of Fame. There's also the CNN studio tour. All 4 of these are less than a 5 minute walk from each other. Stone Mountain is also really cool, and Fuego Mundo is a delicious fleishig restaurant.

As for lodging, we spent Shabbos with friends in the area and had a lovely Shabbos, but you could check the websites of the shuls (Toco Hills is the main area, and Dunwoody is another) to see if they list options. Also see the Dansdeals thread for more ideas: https://forums.dansdeals.com/I.....15.0.

For that length of time, I agree that Phoenix and San Diego are a little far, but some of the other options I mentioned could be doable if Atlanta doesn't work.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:58 pm
I am not sure but flights to Atlanta are outrageous and I tried points and I can fly to Israel for less points

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:16 am
amother wrote:

There is also a vibrant Jewish community there:

https://www.chabadneworleans.c.....o.htm

The community was amazing post-Katrina as you can see from the two videos below.

OP, sorry to hijack, but I was there post-Katrina and I feel the strong urge to counteract the above post focusing on the negative. Amazing Chabad Shluchim in New Orleans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q62vtemZxD4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izPd4bpmjQQ

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:55 am
Charleston doesnt have much kosher food, iirc. And I think only a shabbos minyan.

gingleale

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:37 am
We found flights from NYC to Atlanta on Southwest for under 200 per person round trip. Maybe prices have gone up since we booked our flights? We are only going Sunday - Thursday so finding someplace walking distance to shul wasn't one of our considerations.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:45 am
I am sure the Jewish community and chabad shluchim in New Orleans are outstanding.
Still if someone were looking to take a family trip with teens on a sight seeing vacation that would not be my first choice. then again, neither would be the other two choices presented. Perhaps in terms of kosher food New Orleans wins. I don't know.
Great idea would be to contact the shluchim and look into what opportunities might be there for teen activities that perhaps wouldn't involve going to the main area.
They would know more about the community.
Reminds me of Las Vegas, wouldn't be my first choice for a family vacation site; however, there is a vibrant jewish community there with amazing Chabad shluchim!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:49 am
gingleale wrote:
We found flights from NYC to Atlanta on Southwest for under 200 per person round trip. Maybe prices have gone up since we booked our flights? We are only going Sunday - Thursday so finding someplace walking distance to shul wasn't one of our considerations.

We realized our dates coincide with the Superbowl
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics