Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Math special ed opportunities in NYC

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:37 pm
I'm thinking of becoming a special ed teacher with a particular interest in math. I have gen ed certification in grades 7-12. I've heard a lot about people who do P3 and make a parnasa that way. I have a few questions:

1) What opportunities exist for doing P3 as a full-time job?
2) How much money do you make?
3) What do you do about health insurance?
4) advantages/disadvantages/anything else you want to add?

Thanks!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:13 pm
no health insurance youre considered a independent contractorfrom the doe.
usually p3 is during english which automatically is half day. sometimes its from an agency and doubt they offer health insurance but who knows?
one student is 41.95 an hr
2 at one time is 62 something I think
3 is 83 simething
having 5 students is 100 an hour.
You're allowed to have up to 8 students in a group but it caps off at 5 so it stays a 100 something an hour.
You have to pay into your own taxes because you're an independent contractor and no employer to pay employment tax.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:14 pm
cons
if you are absent you don't get paid- you are paid by hour not salaried
if your student is absent you cannot bill
billing is annoying.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
no health insurance youre considered a independent contractorfrom the doe.
usually p3 is during english which automatically is half day. sometimes its from an agency and doubt they offer health insurance but who knows?
one student is 41.95 an hr
2 at one time is 62 something I think
3 is 83 simething
having 5 students is 100 an hour.
You're allowed to have up to 8 students in a group but it caps off at 5 so it stays a 100 something an hour.
You have to pay into your own taxes because you're an independent contractor and no employer to pay employment tax.

Thanks. What employment opportunities exist (meaning, in which schools in Brooklyn)?

Assuming half a day, how much do P3s make per year, on average?

Does it make sense to try to get a morning job and then an afternoon job as a P3?

I know that a P3 wouldn't get insurance through the employer. My question is, if not through the employer, what do people do about health insurance? (I don't know because my current job provides health insurance.)

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:22 pm
I get health insurance through the state marketplace, aka Obamacare. Or marry someone with benefits...
If you work for an agency then you can get employee benefits, only some agencies offer full time caseloads that would apply to, and it would probably be a lower hourly rate in exchange for that benefit and stability.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics