Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Delete
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:40 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:58 pm; edited 4 times in total

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:01 pm
You don't need a vision therapist specifically, you can see a pediatric ophthalmologist. That's definitely something they will be experienced in treating, and I'm sure there's a local group covered under your insurance. I don't live in Brooklyn, but we have excellent pediatric opthalmologists that take all insurance, including Medicaid.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:10 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Hi. My 6-month-old baby still has a mild cross-eye. It was worse when she was born, and now only happens when she's focusing on objects that are closer, but it's still there. My doctor told me to go to Dr. Steele's group, but he doesn't take my insurance (or any, I believe), and it takes forever to get an appointment with him.

Any recommendations for a vision therapist or optometrist, or whoever would deal with cross-eye in young babies?

I have GHI/Emblem Health. I doubt she would qualify for EI services.

Sorry I’m not answering your question, but when did you get concerned about the cross eyes?

My 9 week olds eyes are often crossed, though it has been diminishing over time. When I mentioned it to my pediatrician at 6 weeks he said to make sure each eye can go in each direction (bH yes) and it’s not usually a concern before 4 months unless there is a family history. I told him there wasn’t, but then I spoke to my in-laws and they said we have a bunch of aunts who had lazy eye type troubles! So basically, when do I address this? At what point is it a real concern?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:14 pm
Just wanted to say to please take your child to a real opthamologist and get a diagnosis before going to a vision therapist. My son was also sent to an eye doctor at six months because he was still cross-eyed, and it turned out he had a very very rare condition that required immediate surgery or he would lose use of the eye.

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:18 pm
I use Dr. Lustig from Dr. Steele's practice who is also excellent and takes more insurances than Dr. Steele.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:26 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:33 pm
smileforamile wrote:
My doctor told me that it's normal until about 5.5-6 months. I had noticed it from when she was a few weeks old. It has gotten a lot better, but I do notice that when something comes closer to her, she will cross her eyes to look at it. Her eyes are lined up properly when she tracks objects from side to side, but not in front of her. It's mild, but it's there.

If there's a family history, I would get it checked out at 4 months.

Thank you!

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:09 pm
Hi, so I used Dr. Steele many, many years ago and I was very happy. But I'm sure there are other good doctors out there.

As for vision therapy - it doesn't work unless the child is a lot older. Anyway, I'm not sure it's always the best route to take, it depends a lot on the problem. Some children just need glasses, some need surgery, some need prism glasses. It really depends a lot. Glasses and surgery are mainstream, vision therapy and prisms are not.

I agree with the posters above - go to a good pediatric opthamologist and have it checked out.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 5:07 pm
I have that insurance and I go to Dr Anthony panarelli. He has offices in Scarsdale and Manhattan. Very happy so far- same issue with my daughter

mom24.7

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:42 pm
I used Dr Wang in manhattan and had a positive experience. I also used Dr. Lustig and Steele. Was happy there as well. Call their office to check which insurance plans they accept. My children all have some degree of cross eye/lazy eye issues.

As a child my family used Dr. Muchnick, however he has now passed on.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:46 pm
We used Dr lustig for cross eyes and we're very happy. He's excellent.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:06 pm
I used dr scwartz from ezra medical and was extremely happy explained everything and was very patient with my toddler. My dd doesnt have a cross eye just astigmatism and prescription. But was very happy with him. I didnt want to wait over 2 months for an appt by steele's office since I knew there was a possibility she needed glasses( had vision screening done in school).

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:26 pm
Btw, while Dr. Steele barely accepts any insurances, his partners accept many plans. One of the doctors in his practice saw my baby (clogged tear duct) and it was fine. Their office was convenient and run very well.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:38 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:40 pm
call the office and ask them. It can't hurt.
I got an appt the next week after I called btw. I was really surprised.

yidishmamma

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:37 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Btw, while Dr. Steele barely accepts any insurances, his partners accept many plans. One of the doctors in his practice saw my baby (clogged tear duct) and it was fine. Their office was convenient and run very well.

Which dr did u c for that? My baby has a blocked tear duct too I wud want to check out

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:05 pm
Dr Schwartz I think. That was who they offered me. She was nice.

aprildiamond

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:54 pm
Dr. Lustig is amazing, so nice and kid-friendly. Def worth a call to see if he accepts your insurance.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:25 pm
We have GHI too, and Dr. Steele would not take our insurance, so we’ve been using Dr. James Deutsch, who is Director of Pediatric Ophthalmology at the SUNY Downstate School of Medicine and Kings County Hospital. He has an office on Remsen Street in downtown Brooklyn. He is very knowledgeable, up on all the latest medical info, and is very pleasant to deal with. We’ve been using him for more than ten years and are very satisfied.

dvoras

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:18 pm
Any body from dr. Steeles group is ok
Also anybody from dr. Wangs group
I have some others if u need u can PM me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics