Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What Landed You at Your $160k+ Job?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
That’s hardly pennies!

It takes 22 years to get there... I believe you get to $100K at around 15 years. Haven't checked the exact details.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:37 pm
cnc wrote:
Her point is that when someone goes into the teaching field, they have potential to move up and make more money.

Precisely.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:39 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Nope. The highest teachers' salary in NYC is currently $122K.

Thats not bad

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:43 pm
cnc wrote:
Her point is that when someone goes into the teaching field, they have potential to move up and make more money.

Yes, but the question is if you can make that much while still being in the classroom, or do you have to move into administration. I love teaching, but you couldn't pay me enough to move into administration, give up working with the kids, and just deal with parents and bureaucracy all day.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:55 pm
I’m a speech therapist. I work in Brooklyn and am employed by Strivright. I don’t even touch 50k, more like 45k. I work 5 days a week, with my hours following my kids school schedule. Just wanted to point this out since someone upthread mentioned her husband makes 150k+. This is highly unusual if you work for an agency. I’d say the exceptions may be for a male or doing private practice with lots of clients. So don’t get your hopes up from that post! I personally would never recommend this field and always thought I make too little for having a Masters and doing so much paperwork.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, but the question is if you can make that much while still being in the classroom, or do you have to move into administration. I love teaching, but you couldn't pay me enough to move into administration, give up working with the kids, and just deal with parents and bureaucracy all day.

I work with kids all day long. The majority of my day is spent in student interaction. All administrators at my school teach as well. I don't think one can be an effective administrator if you've lost touch with the students and classrooms.

But ok, let's say I stayed a teacher. Ten years in, my base pay would be over 94k. The DOE also takes over full pension contributions at this point, which was 29k last year. Plus medical, dental, optical, and rx coverage. Not sure how much these benefits would cost for my family of 8, and although it may not add up to the 160k mark, it isn't too shy of it, either. The last time I was a teacher, I also made an additional 15k per year working part time in summer school and running some extra curriculars.

Sometimes I actually question if it was worth the responsibility and accountability to jump from teacher to admin! But anyway, working in education for a major urban school district can definitely be a lucrative career choice.

jd1212

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:36 pm
Judy Fried wrote:
People in the Finance field, IT, Buyers, Management or Operations earn anywhere from the amount you mention up to 300k.

They don't usually have degrees. Value is measured by their accomplishments.

Anyone who works in a non-Jewish company within these fields, particularly in finance, has a degree, and a legit one.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:54 am
My husband grew up in the Israeli Yeshiva system. With math and English close to none. We moved to n.y 5.5 years ago. After being fired from the Chof k hashgacha, and being unemployed for 4 months, in the most Miraculous Way He got a job in finance in a nursing home with a starting salary of 30k +benefits. 5 years down the line he just left that company and got a job in finance in a chain of nursing homes. His starting salary is 100k +benefits. He is really hoping to get higher in this chain company. I thank Hashem everyday for the neis we had.

Bottom line- no degree, in finance, 100k +benefits

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:02 am
The fact is that men are paid more than women. Why and if this is fair or due to different fields/hours is for a different thread, but just keep in mind that OP is a woman.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:21 am
It is very possible to earn this amount doing real estate and other high profitable sales.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:37 am
I second finance as an option, and also want to note that this can still mean working mostly standard 9-5 hours, as not all finance jobs involve long hours. There are a number of "back-office" jobs in financial services that pay quite decently. You can make 100k after a few years of work, although making it to 160k would likely involve a series of promotions and moving into management.

A BA is definitely required for such jobs; an MA is not.

This is in corporate america; I can't speak about financial jobs within frum companies.

jd1212

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:54 am
@Imamother- that's wonderful that your husband was able to get a great job and I'm sure it wasn't an easy path.

I just want to make it perfectly clear to everyone on the site- from my DH's experience clawing his way up from accounting into finance with hundreds of hours of networking (this word finance *does not include accounting*- they are not the same).

If you want to work in equity research, private equity, investment banking, credit research, venture capital (these fields are finance), outside a frum firm, you NEED a 4 year degree. If not often an MBA, and usually from a top-tier 1 school (Harvard, Columbia, Yale, etc. Sometimes YU and lower universities. Plus a load of networking. My DH works at S&P Global Ratings and is the only one on his team without an MBA (he has a CPA from when he was an accountant) and it took a lot of work to get there.

Yes there are unicorns we've all met who went from BTL, but this is NOT the norm and is an extreme uphill battle).

What are labeled finance jobs in job descriptions by non-financial institutions (like a nursing home or a charter school chain or a hospital), as opposed to jobs in a bank, hedge fund, credit rating agency, etc., are generally called back-office (tracking the money, not being the one actively making it).

By people who work in finance in financial institutions, these are viewed as back-office, much closer to accounting versus financial analysis and investing. DH says it would be much harder to transition to any of the finance fields I listed above that could earn the higher range, especially without an MBA.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
I second finance as an option, and also want to note that this can still mean working mostly standard 9-5 hours, as not all finance jobs involve long hours. There are a number of "back-office" jobs in financial services that pay quite decently. You can make 100k after a few years of work, although making it to 160k would likely involve a series of promotions and moving into management.

A BA is definitely required for such jobs; an MA is not.

This is in corporate america; I can't speak about financial jobs within frum companies.

I work for a large bank and completely agree. Most people here do not have a masters degree and did not go to impressive colleges. A CFA is valued much more than any degree. Also, the only real way to increase your salary in "back-office" jobs within large finance companies is to switch companies every few years.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics