Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Savanna, Georgia, New Orleans or Charlston, S.C.
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
I am sure the Jewish community and chabad shluchim in New Orleans are outstanding.
Still if someone were looking to take a family trip with teens on a sight seeing vacation that would not be my first choice. then again, neither would be the other two choices presented. Perhaps in terms of kosher food New Orleans wins. I don't know.
Great idea would be to contact the shluchim and look into what opportunities might be there for teen activities that perhaps wouldn't involve going to the main area.
They would know more about the community.
Reminds me of Las Vegas, wouldn't be my first choice for a family vacation site; however, there is a vibrant jewish community there with amazing Chabad shluchim!

We are not going to go to New Orleans but you can choose to stay on the outskirts like the same way you can stay in Henderson and not be on the strip.
New Orleans was one of our choices because of the Kosher Food.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:54 am
We’ve been to savannah and loved it! It’s beautiful! (There were no kosher restaurants at all when we went)

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:56 am
studying_torah wrote:
Charleston doesnt have much kosher food, iirc. And I think only a shabbos minyan.

Brith Sholom Beth Israel says online they have Shacharis, Mincha and Maariv everyday

pause

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
Brith Sholom Beth Israel says online they have Shacharis, Mincha and Maariv everyday

If a minyan is important to you, you cannot rely on online informatin (which may be outdated or only for certain seasons). You need to call and speak to a live person.

pause

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:11 am
Would you consider Myrtle Beach, NC? Washington DC? Phoenix/Tuscon, AZ?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:24 am
pause wrote:
Would you consider Myrtle Beach, NC? Washington DC? Phoenix/Tuscon, AZ?

What can you do in Myrtle Beach in the winter? We did Washington, D.C and Phoenix.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
I am sure the Jewish community and chabad shluchim in New Orleans are outstanding.
Still if someone were looking to take a family trip with teens on a sight seeing vacation that would not be my first choice. then again, neither would be the other two choices presented. Perhaps in terms of kosher food New Orleans wins. I don't know.
Great idea would be to contact the shluchim and look into what opportunities might be there for teen activities that perhaps wouldn't involve going to the main area.
They would know more about the community.
Reminds me of Las Vegas, wouldn't be my first choice for a family vacation site; however, there is a vibrant jewish community there with amazing Chabad shluchim!

We had a great time in Las Vegas too. You have to drive around quite a lot to get to the Kosher restaurants though in my experience.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:31 am
pause wrote:
If a minyan is important to you, you cannot rely on online informatin (which may be outdated or only for certain seasons). You need to call and speak to a live person.

Just confirmed with the Rabbi that there is a minyan 3 times a day

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:32 am
Yes, Super Bowl weekend will not be a cheap or quiet time to be in Atlanta. Smile In that case, I still think you should look into Indianapolis, Norfolk, St. Louis (Google City Museum - it's unlike anything you've ever seen and amazing for kids), Pittsburgh, and Louisville.

I can give you activity suggestions for any that sound appealing. You can also check Godaven to see what temporary minyanim are being made that weekend, often in ski destinations like VT, that you could join.

gingleale

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
We realized our dates coincide with the Superbowl

That explains it!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:12 am
doctorima wrote:
Yes, Super Bowl weekend will not be a cheap or quiet time to be in Atlanta. Smile In that case, I still think you should look into Indianapolis, Norfolk, St. Louis (Google City Museum - it's unlike anything you've ever seen and amazing for kids), Pittsburgh, and Louisville.

I can give you activity suggestions for any that sound appealing. You can also check Godaven to see what temporary minyanim are being made that weekend, often in ski destinations like VT, that you could join.

Are there shuls walking distance from hotels in Indianapolis or Louisville?
Pittsburgh and Norfolk is a long drive for such a short weekend.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:49 am
doctorima wrote:
More family-friendly options to consider depending on your budget are: Norfolk, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego. All should have minyanim, and they all have pros and cons, but I think all are better for teens than the 3 you mentioned.

I just looked online about Louisville and Indianapolis and did not see so much to do. Why are you so against Charlston and Savannah?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:06 pm
New Orleans is great. I've never participated in any pritzus that I'm aware of but I've never gone during mardi gras! There are plantation tours and bayou tours and a great place in Covington where you do a safari type jeep tour and the animals come up to the car. We had a giraffe eat right out of our food buckets!

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:34 pm
I think you could do a family trip to NOLA and the Jewish community there is lovely. I went with just dh and enjoyed that, I do think it’s a more “adult” city.

Charleston and savannah are supposed to be beautiful! I’ve never been but considered it- we ended up picking NOLA.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics