Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What options are there?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:39 am
I know a few people coming home from seminary and living in lakewood. They have no problem going to college but everyone keeps saying there’s no point. They say special ed is flooded, ot is getting flooded, speech is flooded, graphics and computer program already flooded, aba, they don’t want to teach or do billing bec it doesn’t pay etc...any ideas if this is all true? What can girls possibly do in lakewood to get a college educated job and actually have options once they graduate?

pizzapie

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:45 am
Move out of Lakewood. There are options for jobs in most of these fields in other areas across the country. Don't lock yourself into a specific field that you may not like because you believe that you wiil be able to find a local job with those credentials.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
I know a few people coming home from seminary and living in lakewood. They have no problem going to college but everyone keeps saying there’s no point. They say special ed is flooded, ot is getting flooded, speech is flooded, graphics and computer program already flooded, aba, they don’t want to teach or do billing bec it doesn’t pay etc...any ideas if this is all true? What can girls possibly do in lakewood to get a college educated job and actually have options once they graduate?

The Jewish schools may be flooded for speech and special Ed but there are plenty of public schools within a 40 minute radius and speech is not just limited to working in a school. You can work in a nursing home or clinic too. There are also plenty degrees besides speech and special ed. Dental hygiene, accounting, nursing, school psychology, occupational therapy are all pretty popular degrees as well. That being said I happen to know a few people that are doing very well in medical billing. Yes they started working for not much money but they moved up and while I’ve nevr seen their paychecks I have a feeling they are doing just as well as your average speech therapist now.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:57 am
pizzapie wrote:
Move out of Lakewood. There are options for jobs in most of these fields in other areas across the country. Don't lock yourself into a specific field that you may not like because you believe that you wiil be able to find a local job with those credentials.

Even if this is a good long term plan I'm assuming these girls will go out with BMG guys who would like to learn in Lakewood for the beginning of their marriage. So yup she may have to sacrifice her "dream" job if she is putting who she wants to marry as a priority.

I dont live in Lakewood OP, but from what I've seen, my friends that are accountants (and have their CPAs) are quite successful.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:27 am
amother wrote:

I have so many questions

- are the above careers the only ones taught in college? Perhaps in one program located in LW geared for the Jewish community? A glance at a map shows that there are colleges that are within commuting distance of LW.

- is a LW resident obligated to work within the township limits? There must be schools and businesses also within commuting distance.

- is a college degree needed to do billing?

- is it possible that "everyone"'s real motive is to keep women uneducated and isolated?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:31 am
Have girls study fashion and design. Seamstresses make really good money.

Clothing will always need to be altered, taken in, let out, lace added, neckline fixed, etc. Zippers are forever breaking. Custom gowns sell for a small fortune. Shabbos robes are pretty easy to design and sew. Lots of potential there.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:37 am
You do realize that there are other degrees out there that you haven't mentioned. Why limit to the popular “frum” ones?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:29 am
imasoftov wrote:

- is a college degree needed to do billing?

Nope. I have been doing medical billing in Lakewood for the past nine years. Started out making $12 an hour, now making $34 an hour.
Also now starting salaries are way higher. Billing companies are paying a starting salary of $20 an hour to seminary girls with no BA.

Fox

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:49 pm
No matter what the hot field is in any given year, it's not going to be "hot" if you don't like it and/or don't have any natural aptitude or interest.

Almost no one jumps out of bed with enthusiasm when the alarm goes off, but that's a far cry from really hating your job or just going through the motions. Those are the first people laid off, too. When things get tight, the folks who are going through the motions and have no enthusiasm or motivation are almost always the ones who wash out.

Rather than start with a field or major, it's better to research how people in various jobs and fields spend their days as well as the various potential areas of specialization or career paths. Do you like the routine of an office? Do you prefer to get outside during the day? Do you like a lot of interaction with others or are you a solitary worker? Low-cost career testing may be a good idea, or you may even just need to pick up a book from the library that helps you analyze the kinds of work situations that fit your personality.

The biggest mistake I see people making is misjudging how people make money in various fields and whether or not they have what it takes. For example, I've noticed that many therapists of various types can be extremely successful if they are entrepreneurial and really work at building their business. But individuals with the same credentials who just want a "job," may quickly max out their earnings.

Without diligent research, choosing a major based on predictions by Tante Esther's neighbor's daughter's best friend is probably throwing away time and money.

SacN

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:59 pm
Dental school, PA, nursing, business, law, computer science, marketing, ui/ux design, web design, social work, compliance, finance, life coaching, QA, nonprofit management, data analysis, human resources, engineering. The list goes on and on.

Why limit to just the "flooded" fields?

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
You do realize that there are other degrees out there that you haven't mentioned. Why limit to the popular “frum” ones?

This.

Study actuarial science or engineering or pre-law or dance therapy or computer science or environmental science or microbiology or web design or get trained as a dental hygienist , etc etc etc.

Edit: SacN, I see we cross-posted.

SacN

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:08 pm
Quote:
Edit: SacN, I see we cross-posted.

Great minds...

Your list is good! I forgot environmental science and microbiology.

Lakewood is unique in that it's a huge community far from serious business centers. It might be rough to find a job in computer programming or hr, because you need startups and big companies. For example. It is a dilemma.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics