Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Rachel's Place production
1  2  Next

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:42 am
This year's production is called Katalina. Does anyone know which movie they're copying this year? What story is it??

flapsmom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:02 am
"Anastasia" a Broadway show.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:51 pm
Isnt it the same story as the one Malky Giniger did "Alexandra"?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:57 pm
Is there a way to watch their old plays? I heard they do an amazing job but I'm abroad and can't buy a cd... is there somewhere to download it?

hello 1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:49 pm
Yes, mostlymusic.com you can rent their dvds

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:44 pm
Can't wait to see the DVD! Any idea which actresses are starring this year? Last year's were fantastic and hope to see them again!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
Isnt it the same story as the one Malky Giniger did "Alexandra"?

That’s what I heard.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:20 pm
Just wondering why these organizations are taking plays from non Jewish sources and performing them for ultra orthodox crowds? Why can't they perform something more Jewish? Why the exposure?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:30 pm
OP here, thanks everyone.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
Just wondering why these organizations are taking plays from non Jewish sources and performing them for ultra orthodox crowds? Why can't they perform something more Jewish? Why the exposure?

Bc it's very hard to compose an original play with original songs... much easier to take something that's already established and tweak it to make it more 'kosher'. Original plays / musicals are a true mazel thing - hit or miss. Rachel's Place productions, by now, I guess are known for this being their 'thing' - kosherizing broadway productions.

rd

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:36 pm
Alexandra is an amazing production!
I wish these professional woman's groups didn't repeat each other's plays!
that being said, I'm sure they will do an unbeleivable job as they always do.
probably this play will be closer to the original. Wink
and personally, I too wish they could create original Jewish plays.
with their talent, it could be SO inspiring!
(I mean Regal Productions too, and so on)

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:44 pm
Amother Linen, many schools dont allow the girls to attend their plays, I guess because of this?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
Amother Linen, many schools dont allow the girls to attend their plays, I guess because of this?

Maybe. I was just wondering as I saw so many ultra chassidish women in the audience. It's not frowned upon in the chassidish world? As someone who grew up sheltered not knowing about Annie, Fiddler, Music Man and all the other plays they've done, I find this real exposure to the outside world.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 4:03 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Bc it's very hard to compose an original play with original songs... much easier to take something that's already established and tweak it to make it more 'kosher'. Original plays / musicals are a true mazel thing - hit or miss. Rachel's Place productions, by now, I guess are known for this being their 'thing' - kosherizing broadway productions.

Oh please, that's just an excuse to imitate the chukos hagoy. There are so many talented women in our circles who have written beautiful scrips, songs, lyrics, composed tunes. Why do we need to shop elsewhere?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:00 pm
Amother Linen, the schools dont let the girls attend, I guess no one is keeping the women back from attending.

sarah58

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:08 pm
I agree... I think its better to watch a [gentile] act like a [gentile] than to watch frum jewish ladies acting like that.....

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 5:08 am
amother wrote:
Oh please, that's just an excuse to imitate the chukos hagoy. There are so many talented women in our circles who have written beautiful scrips, songs, lyrics, composed tunes. Why do we need to shop elsewhere?

A whole practice can be chukot hagoy, so I could see if someone considered all theater as such. I don't see how a particular play could be, unless it had particular ritual use, say a play traditionally performed on a non-Jewish holiday but I don't think anyone is rewriting a passion play here. So if chukot hagoy is your reason not to see re-written plays, I think you may have to also skip those written by those talented Jewish women.

On the other hand I could see preferring an original script to a doctored one. But it would be on a case by case basis. I also sometimes wonder if people who rewrite plays wanted to be playwrights themselves and this is the best they can do in that area given constraints of time (or talent). And then there are purimshpiel writers but at least at my shul they also mock themselves which saves the audience the trouble.

On the third (is this a haiku?) since you mentioned shopping I wonder about the intellectual property rights for the plays. I'm not a lawyer but intellectul property comes up in software, so it seems to me that if someone puts on a modified version of a play they may need a license just like any other theater company that puts it on using the original script, book, and music. Friends of mine involved in amateur productions tell me that they license the plays they put on. But then even if one licenses something already written it may be cheaper than something written custom, so perhaps a small production of Annie pays a token fee while if you hire Mrs. Blumenfeld (I made that up, apologies if there is a frum playwright by that name or someone in this thread has that name) to write a musical about Hannah Rachel Verbermacher it's going to cost much more.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:49 am
imasoftov wrote:
A whole practice can be chukot hagoy, so I could see if someone considered all theater as such. I don't see how a particular play could be, unless it had particular ritual use, say a play traditionally performed on a non-Jewish holiday but I don't think anyone is rewriting a passion play here. So if chukot hagoy is your reason not to see re-written plays, I think you may have to also skip those written by those talented Jewish women.

On the other hand I could see preferring an original script to a doctored one. But it would be on a case by case basis. I also sometimes wonder if people who rewrite plays wanted to be playwrights themselves and this is the best they can do in that area given constraints of time (or talent). And then there are purimshpiel writers but at least at my shul they also mock themselves which saves the audience the trouble.

On the third (is this a haiku?) since you mentioned shopping I wonder about the intellectual property rights for the plays. I'm not a lawyer but intellectul property comes up in software, so it seems to me that if someone puts on a modified version of a play they may need a license just like any other theater company that puts it on using the original script, book, and music. Friends of mine involved in amateur productions tell me that they license the plays they put on. But then even if one licenses something already written it may be cheaper than something written custom, so perhaps a small production of Annie pays a token fee while if you hire Mrs. Blumenfeld (I made that up, apologies if there is a frum playwright by that name or someone in this thread has that name) to write a musical about Hannah Rachel Verbermacher it's going to cost much more.

Yiddishkeit costs money. We don't sacrifice on yiddishkeit for money just like we don't eat treif food, send to p.s. etc. Shabbos and YT cost money, tznius clothing cost money, yeshiva tuition costs money and Jewish play writing costs money. Why expose our sheltered girls and women, who crave entertainment, to Broadway shows with very little, if at all, lessons to be learnt?

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:04 am
It does bother me when talented Jewish singers and playwrights recycle existing non-Jewish material, but I never thought of it as chukas hagoy. What exactly is being exposed to sheltered people? The material is doctored until it’s totally clean and even has a moderate Jewish lesson or two.

However, a huge part (IMO) of a theater is the stunning orchestrated music. You can actually buy the instrumental soundtracks of many broadway numbers. Most if not all frum show producers do not have the budget for a professional orchestra to play their original music. Maybe one day!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:13 am
tigerwife wrote:
It does bother me when talented Jewish singers and playwrights recycle existing non-Jewish material, but I never thought of it as chukas hagoy. What exactly is being exposed to sheltered people? The material is doctored until it’s totally clean and even has a moderate Jewish lesson or two.

However, a huge part (IMO) of a theater is the stunning orchestrated music. You can actually buy the instrumental soundtracks of many broadway numbers. Most if not all frum show producers do not have the budget for a professional orchestra to play their original music. Maybe one day!

When we try to imitate the non jews, I believe it's chukos hagoy. Isn't that what happened in Yavan?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics