Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone have of a place in the poconos similar to fernwood

skinny

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:54 pm
anyone have a place to rent out in fernwood or the like? something like an apartment set up where we can stay over shabbos? tia

DVOM

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:02 pm
This sounds amazing! I'm sure it's out of our price range, but I'm following so that I can dream... Smile

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:11 pm
if your'e gonna need a minyan - at this time of year your best bet is bushkill inn and conference center and just make sure greenwald caterers has an event going on that wk.
if you don't need a minyan, search for private houses on vrbo or airbnb

sky

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:10 pm
Bushkill is expensive.

GoDaven.com sometimes has lists of temporary minyanim in vacation areas.

Chabad teshiva in the poconos has little apt for rent (no kitchen). We went in the summer and had the most relaxing time. I wonder what it is like in the winter. It might get cramped not being able to go out. They also daven very late , unless there is a big group there making another minyan.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:46 pm
Not op- but wondering if anyone knows what people do about shabbos davening if going for the mid winter vacation shabbos?
The person who said to find out if greenwald catering is doing an event, where would that be advertised?

Pickle1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:43 pm
sometimes you will see a weekend retreat publicized in the local newspapers like midwinter etc. to find out if there's a sheva brachos or convention you'd have to call Bushkill and ask.
just another idea..we once did - wanted to go away for shbbs without my kids and husband wanted a minyan. there's a site hotelsnearshuls.com however none of those hotels had suites in our budget...so we did godaven.com, and found hotels listed in that city and we googlemapped hotels in the area how long to walk and we ended up finding a really nice suite less than a mile from a shul very affordable and bought shbbs food with us, was amazing and relaxing.

proudmomma

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 8:04 pm
Pickle1 wrote:
sometimes you will see a weekend retreat publicized in the local newspapers like midwinter etc. to find out if there's a sheva brachos or convention you'd have to call Bushkill and ask.
just another idea..we once did - wanted to go away for shbbs without my kids and husband wanted a minyan. there's a site hotelsnearshuls.com however none of those hotels had suites in our budget...so we did godaven.com, and found hotels listed in that city and we googlemapped hotels in the area how long to walk and we ended up finding a really nice suite less than a mile from a shul very affordable and bought shbbs food with us, was amazing and relaxing.

That sounds AMAZING! Would you please share what hotel/ shul and any other information that'S relevant? I've spent hours trying to find someplace like that as my DH can't take off easily. Shabbos getaways are really our only option right now. Thanks!

sky

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 8:28 pm
You could also look up ‘reserve kosher’ or ‘Lakewood hosts’ website and rent a house in a Jewish community.

One winter we rented a house walking distance to tanersville shul. Vrbo also has listings. Just need to make sure there is s minyan that Shabbos.

Pickle1

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:21 pm
we stayed in homewood suites in eatontown,nj (I think was like $139 for the suite - bdrm had separate door from spacious living/kitchen area. there wasn't much outdoors - I stayed in rm all shbbs brought reading material, nosh and popcorn and I wasn't bored or cooped up.minyan was congragation shaarei tefilla 25 min walk - I actually see now they added this hotel to the hotelsnearshuls website so u can see info there. so yeah, we didn't have scenery of nice walks/oceanviews etc but it was the winter and an indoor getaway without are kids was good enough!

Pickle1

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:25 pm
keep in mind - if you aren't staying over m's - u still need to pay for 2 nights. since checkouts are usually like 11 am

proudmomma

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:19 pm
Thanks a lot , pickle! Was the walk an easy one? Was it streets/ well lit?

Pickle1

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 4:55 am
main streets. b4 shbbs we drove the walking route to make sure he knew the way. very simple. fyi, my husb only did shacharis& mussaf(& I think mincha dont remember) in shul. rest did byichidus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics