Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tonsillectomy for strep throat
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:49 pm
how many strep infections did your child have for you to decide to go ahead and do a tonsillectomy? Is there a set amount of infections for an ent to go by?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:50 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:14 pm
I had continuous step as a kid until removed.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:49 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I had heard 6 in a year.

Thanks!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
I had continuous step as a kid until removed.

Antibiotics didn’t help at all? What is considered continuous strep? How old were you? My child keeps on getting strep but I keep hoping the next round of antibiotics will help, I’m wondering when to just throw in the towel n go to ENT

smileyfaces

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:55 pm
My doctor told me 8 times in a year unless the child also snores then it’s a different story.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Antibiotics didn’t help at all? What is considered continuous strep? How old were you? My child keeps on getting strep but I keep hoping the next round of antibiotics will help, I’m wondering when to just throw in the towel n go to ENT

You should be testing a few days after you finish antibiotics to know if it's continuous or recurring.

With my son, we did antibiotics, stronger antibiotics, clyndamaycin, Penicillin shots x 2. After that we went to an ENT and had it removed.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
strip that returned a day or two after finishing antibiotics. Had strip from ages 3-9 when my tonsils were taken out. Never got it again. Apparently they had been acting as reservoirs of bacteria and were teeming w step when tested after removal.
Im very lucky. I had a friend with same problem she ended up with I think it's called Scarlet fever where strip gets to your heart. Her parents didn't believe in tonsil removal

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
You should be testing a few days after you finish antibiotics to know if it's continuous or recurring.

With my son, we did antibiotics, stronger antibiotics, clyndamaycin, Penicillin shots x 2. After that we went to an ENT and had it removed.

Ok we just finished clindamycin n my dc is exhibiting strep symptoms again, hope culture is negative but if it’s positive then our next step is penicillin shot. I guess after that it’s ENT.

Is there anything but a tonsillectomy that an ENT can do to treat the strep?

Did your son ever get strep after the surgery?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
strip that returned a day or two after finishing antibiotics. Had strip from ages 3-9 when my tonsils were taken out. Never got it again. Apparently they had been acting as reservoirs of bacteria and were teeming w step when tested after removal.
Im very lucky. I had a friend with same problem she ended up with I think it's called Scarlet fever where strip gets to your heart. Her parents didn't believe in tonsil removal

Oh wow! That’s 6 years of strep! Ye so I had people telling me to try natural stuff, someone couldn’t believe that I would give my kid antibiotics for strep Banging head but I’m afraid to go that route because of complications

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Oh wow! That’s 6 years of strep! Ye so I had people telling me to try natural stuff, someone couldn’t believe that I would give my kid antibiotics for strep Banging head but I’m afraid to go that route because of complications
the weird thing is I'm always strep b positive. I wonder if my body just can't deal with strep. Every uti I have ever cultured was also strep b

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
the weird thing is I'm always strep b positive. I wonder if my body just can't deal with strep. Every uti I have ever cultured was also strep b

Do you know if the strep that hits the tonsils is strep b too or it’s different?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know if the strep that hits the tonsils is strep b too or it’s different?
its strep a in the tonsils. Related but strep a is much more dangerous than strep b

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
Ok we just finished clindamycin n my dc is exhibiting strep symptoms again, hope culture is negative but if it’s positive then our next step is penicillin shot. I guess after that it’s ENT.

Is there anything but a tonsillectomy that an ENT can do to treat the strep?

Did your son ever get strep after the surgery?

I don't think ENT can do anything else.

I think he got strep once since, it's been 3 years.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:34 am
We tried everything before tonsilectomy but wish we would have just done it sooner because our dc suffered with strep for years and it was only when formally diagnosed with pandas that we had tonsils removed.
Infectious disease doctor tried tuberculosis meds twice over the years to try to eradicate the strep from dc's body once and for all, but it came back after a few months anyway.
Twice ENT did 3 weeks of clindamycin with lots of probiotics to try to keep dc's stomach safe, also to try to eradicate the strep.
Poor kid. The younger one is during tonsilectomy the easier the recovery. We should have done it sooner. And we are so grateful they are actually out - burned out all the way, not scraped, so less risk of them growing back.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:58 am
Hatzlacha! I had a tonsillectomy after non stop ear infections as a child (think well over 40 years ago). B"H I didn't take antibiotics again for anything for over 13 years till I got...yes, strep, in seminary. I have since got strep. But b"H no more ear infections.
So I guess I can't give you the answers you need but it sounds like it might be a good idea.

momX4

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:51 am
smileyfaces wrote:
My doctor told me 8 times in a year unless the child also snores then it’s a different story.

My ds had sleep problems. Strept wasn't an issue. Had enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Once removed our life drastically improved.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 5:14 am
Thanks everyone for responding

I see from all the replies that no one regrets doing the tonsillectomy. I’m scared to have my child go through with it but constant antibiotics are terrible. I basically feel like I’m between a rock and a hard wall.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 5:15 am
amother wrote:
We tried everything before tonsilectomy but wish we would have just done it sooner because our dc suffered with strep for years and it was only when formally diagnosed with pandas that we had tonsils removed.
Infectious disease doctor tried tuberculosis meds twice over the years to try to eradicate the strep from dc's body once and for all, but it came back after a few months anyway.
Twice ENT did 3 weeks of clindamycin with lots of probiotics to try to keep dc's stomach safe, also to try to eradicate the strep.
Poor kid. The younger one is during tonsilectomy the easier the recovery. We should have done it sooner. And we are so grateful they are actually out - burned out all the way, not scraped, so less risk of them growing back.

My child has PANDAS too, does it get much better once the tonsils are out?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:06 pm
My child had tonsils and adenoids removed but not due to infections just had grade 4 tonsils and had a swallowing disorder. Doctors said that it def won't help for swallow but as he was turning 5 they were happy to try and see if it will help and 2 weeks after we had a new swallow study and his swallow was perfect. I thank hashem that we did this coz according to the books tonsillectomy does not help for a swallow disorder.
Go with your gut instinct,
Btw, his consultant told me that from age 13 the surgery and recovery is much more difficult so thats another thing to have in mind
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics