Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Dd4 keeps coloring on floor/walls
Previous  1  2

pizza4

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:50 pm
My kids bedroom walls are decorated with their drawings, the paint isn't washable there. They've stopped coloring on my kitchen walls, but sometimes color on the kitchen table or floor. I don't discipline for this,don't think it's a battle worth fighting. I just keep reminding that coloring goes on paper and tell them to wipe it up with baby wipes.
My advice would be to kind of "disappear" the permanent markers... and keep baby wipes handy... and remember it's a stage all kids need to go through... like chopping hair Wink

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:22 am
Line the walls with butcher paper, the kind that comes in a fat long roll: https://www.webstaurantstore.c.....pping

Or designate a coloring wall.

And hide the permanent markers! Get the washable ones.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 2:12 am
Graffitti remover spray to your aid!

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:17 am
Would it help to give them a room they are allowed to color on? Maybe their bedroom? Creativity is precious, and whitewash is cheap. Maybe she can contain her colouring drive to one room, especially if that's the only room she does "authorized" arts and crafts in.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 7:00 am
I'm all for limiting temptation.

When I had impulsive wall decorators, all writing implements were disappeared, and the writers were provided with magnadoodles, and that expensive Crayola special paper and markers, where the markers don't work on anything but the paper.

I cut back on other things to justify the price.

Then, every once in a while, I pulled out the other things, to be used under my supervision only, with many repetitions of, "we only color on what? That's right, paper."

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 7:15 am
Ok so here’s what I will try:

1) in response to the writing on walls yesterday (about an hour after she wrote on the floor and had to clean it) she can’t color for 2 days

2) following that I will try the washable markers and baby wipes route

3) her permanent markers will disappear

4) problem solve with her

I wish I could have her color on the walls of one room but we are in a rented apt and I do want to limit damage somewhat...

What do I do about pens though? They are around the house and they are impossible to get off our walls?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 7:44 am
As I wrote earlier. I hide all writing implements. I only use washable crayons because markers leave a stain

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 7:46 am
I agree. Hide the pens.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:14 am
In general they are kept out of reach anyways. The issue is when she finds one under the baby’s crib or in the couch pillows… That’s when she starts using them incorrectly. I can definitely try to keep all of them on that shelf, but it’s those ones that rolled away that I’m more concerned about.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:38 pm
take pictures ~ they'll make funny memories down the line

dedicate one wall painted with chalk board for her to colour ...

get an easel for her to draw ... crayons & other implements of writing should be out of reach & brought down when you can supervise

aliavi

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
In general they are kept out of reach anyways. The issue is when she finds one under the baby’s crib or in the couch pillows… That’s when she starts using them incorrectly. I can definitely try to keep all of them on that shelf, but it’s those ones that rolled away that I’m more concerned about.

Do your best to find the stray pens. Could you reward her for finding one and giving it to you without using it?

Rubbing alcohol removes ink. From fabric it has to be blotted, not rubbed. Any hard surface you can try the Magic Eraser if you haven’t already (name brand only).

creditcards

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:25 pm
All my walls are also decorated with my kids art work. I don't even try to fight with them. Each of my kids get a turn to go through this stage. My linen also gets colored up. When the kids will be older we will paint and replace our linen sets.
Permanent markers are always off limits for all ages.

nchr

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 10:02 pm
Our kids have tried this. We told them that we really liked the scribbles and were impressed of the artwork, but that we were disappointed in the location. We then explained that since we saw how much the child enjoyed painting and realized how much the child enjoyed it too that we would be purchasing large paper pads and white boards for coloring. We then purchased it, which I don't see as rewarding poor behavior, but rather redirecting it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers