Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Time sensative. Call or text

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:18 am
I work 2 days a week Tuesday and thursday. I came into work today and noone is here. It's a small office the owner and two assistance and me. Everyone took off and no one told me.
So I came in to work.
Do I call or text my boss to ask what to do. Is it ok to text. I feel so stupid about this. Or should I just leave.

mom!

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:37 am
Just text "Hi, I am assuming the office is closed today as I see no one is here and the lights off. Once I am here, is there anything you need for me before I go?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:53 am
Just texted him. No response. I don’t want to call him because I don’t want to bother him. I guess I will leave and talk to him on Thursday.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:02 pm
I would leave. I have a policy I dont text non relative males.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
I would leave. I have a policy I dont text non relative males.

How would you communicate with your male boss if he communicates via text?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:10 pm
I have always told my Male boss right away that I dont text with men. Same way that I asked them not to call me by my first name.

momX4

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:21 pm
Was your office closed last Tuesday?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:34 pm
It's New Year's Day. It's a national holiday in the US and in many European countries(not sure where you live). It's highly probable that your office is closed.

Not sure why it's a problem is to text your boss -- it's a 100% work-related question.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
I have always told my Male boss right away that I dont text with men. Same way that I asked them not to call me by my first name.

Well you are lucky you can dictate terms of communication with your superiors - for most of the population - that's not feasible.

( I would also leave the office if I showed up and was the only one there - and not call or text anyone - if it was a statutory holiday.)

esuss

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:20 pm
A short and to the point business text to a male boss is less interaction than a phone call.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:27 pm
esuss wrote:
A short and to the point business text to a male boss is less interaction than a phone call.

Its easier to have a 100% no policy then have to navigate what is and isn't appropriate...

butterfly2

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:32 pm
If you don’t want to bother your boss, text one of your workmates if the office is officially closed or if they took the day off.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:53 pm
emcee wrote:
If you don’t want to bother your boss, text one of your workmates if the office is officially closed or if they took the day off.

Or just sit there and stare at the wall until 5:00.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 2:32 pm
Amother purple, I shall hope a normal male boss will understand and respect when a female worker has boundaries and is sticking to them. I never had an issue bh. If a man would have an issue with it, I would not work for such a man.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:46 am
amother wrote:
Amother purple, I shall hope a normal male boss will understand and respect when a female worker has boundaries and is sticking to them. I never had an issue bh. If a man would have an issue with it, I would not work for such a man.

My opinion on the word "normal" is well known so I won't repeat it but if someone has reasons preventing them from communicating with their co-workers during work hours (now yesterday didn't count because it wasn't work hours, but this doesn't only seem to be OP's policy on legal holidays ...). If I had a man, woman, or one of those aliens in the Asimov story with three genders who wouldn't text, I would already be on the phone with the company lawyer.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:30 am
I don't understand why texting with a male boss isn't OK but speaking to him face to face is.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:03 pm
Because when texting, we tend to let loose and text things that we wont say.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Because when texting, we tend to let loose and text things that we wont say.

I find the opposite to be true. When you are texting you go back over what you wrote before sending, allowing you to correct typos and anything else you don't want there. When you speak you say it and it's done.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:10 am
amother wrote:
I find the opposite to be true. When you are texting you go back over what you wrote before sending, allowing you to correct typos and anything else you don't want there. When you speak you say it and it's done.

Same here.

I'm wondering if people have actually noticed the problem themselves or were been told about the problem by the Luddites
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics