Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Would you rather vacation or cleaning help?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:49 am
Probably cleaning help, but I would possibly cut down on hours to save for a vacation.

If I had no kids or they were grown up my answer would probably be different. I maintain that for a mother of young kids regular (at least once a week) cleaning help is more important for her sanity.

It also depends what you call vacation...I live far from relatives so if I want to see them, I need to travel. We just spent shabbos with my relatives. (plane tickets in Europe are very cheap so the travel part was not so expensive - total cost was less then €200.) For those of you who live near relatives, I'll bet you don't consider a shabbos with your relatives a vacation. It was not more relaxing because we had to spend time flying. I would not forgo this type of vacation because a. its not so expensive and b. its important to spend time with parents, siblings and other relatives.

But a beach/hotel or citybreak type vacation? I can manage without that. When my kids are older and childcare not an issue we might do more of that then we do now.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:06 am
Right now I have neither. If I had to choose to add something to my life I think it would be a vacation. Though daily cleaning help would probably be life changing. I want both!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:27 am
I do make this choice and I always choose vacation. Regular cleaning help is a lot more expensive. I also love traveling! It's fun to see new places and get new experiences and I find it rejuvenating.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:45 am
Cleaning help. But who wants to have to choose?

Most of the time, our vacations are tent camping trips. Cost is minimal, since we have our own equipment, and it's pretty well amortized by now.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:27 am
Big time traveler but I'd give it up for cleaning help

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:10 am
Vacation!!! I have a long list which I would like to shorten.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:11 am
Vacation!

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:17 am
Vacation!

Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:31 am
Vacation.

This was actually a real choice for us this year. We recently bought a house and our monthly expenses went up so much, we had to cut our expenses somewhere. Cleaning lady was one of the first things to go (maybe that's just because she wasn't very good anyway so I don't feel so lost without her).

I cherish the memories made on family vacations and on shorter trips alone with my husband. Most of the early memories I have as a child are from when we were on vacation. I wouldn't want (my kids) to miss out on those.

mom!

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:00 am
CLEANING HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

allcuteonesrtak

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:29 am
pesek zman wrote:
Same! Travel makes me much happier than a perfectly clean apartment anyway. Something to plan and look forward to, change of scenery, time spent with family and memories to draw upon. I think travel makes you a more interesting and well rounded person. I think having a perfectly clean apartment makes you a person with a perfectly clean apartment.

But I could pay for a cleaning lady using points, I absolutely would! (Which is to say, most of my travel expenses are paid for by Points)

Everything pesek zman said lol (she just said it better than I could)

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:45 am
I’m lucky that I’ve had the chance to travel a lot when I was single. At this point of my life, cleaning help is definitely the win because I wouldn’t really enjoy a vacation with my toddlers or without them and worrying about them. When my kids are older, I’d love to travel again (with and without them!).

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:45 am
sequoia wrote:
Vacation!!!

Same here. A vacation gives me the chance to regroup and take a minute for me. I have cleankngnhelp 2x/week, and while it is super helpful and I would not survive as a wife and mother without it, it doesn’t allow me any extra time for me.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:57 am
Cleaning help hands down! I wouldn't need a vacation if I had more cleaning help!

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:57 am
Cleaning help.

Mine coats about $2,300 a year.
3-3.5 hour weekly. Every few weeks she doesn't come or I'm not home that time so I find another place for her. If I have steady I cam deal with a week off.
She does floors and wipe down surfaces on the main level, both toilets and some random extra things every week, like on oven, fridge, freezer, freshen up inside a few cabinets or drawers.... straps the linen and puts it back on. she doesn't do laundry, ironing or vacuuming downstairs (carpet) or any tidying.

Vacation is fun. But then it's a lot more than the cleaning lady would cost. With childcare and plane tickets. It almost reaches that. And once it's over I'll be overwhelmed with life. I hate cleaning and when I don't have cleaning help I get so anxious when the kids make a mess.

So cleaning help it is!!!
Although if I had the choice of twice a week cleaning help, or vacation and once a week cleaning help, I'd choose vacation and once a week cleaning help.

mom2dkay

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:42 pm
Raisin wrote:

If I had no kids or they were grown up my answer would probably be different. I maintain that for a mother of young kids regular (at least once a week) cleaning help is more important for her sanity.

This. Exactly.
Those that choose vacation are probably the ones with no little children creating daily (hourly) messes.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:49 pm
Cleaning help. I wouldn't feel like I need vacation if I had someone doing all that work for me. It's my biggest struggle and takes up all my kochos.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:00 pm
My vote is for cleaning help. I'm not such a vacation person though. I really enjoy vacations but usually choose to save the money on something else (furniture, home improvements, savings, etc).

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:51 am
mom2dkay wrote:
This. Exactly.
Those that choose vacation are probably the ones with no little children creating daily (hourly) messes.

My oldest is 11.5, my youngest is 2.5. She is home all day with me. I still say vacation.

cheese1

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 8:38 am
CLEANING HELP.

For sure!

It makes me happy every week all over again
instead of a few day vacation that costs a fortune.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics