Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you take the baby to the doctor?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:58 am
Let me preface this by saying that I have many children and am not one who rushes to the doctor, especially for a cough, but I'm not feeling confident right now about what to do.

My baby is 4 months old, healthy and happy. Since yesterday, she's been having coughing fits. The cough sounds dry, not at all phlegmy, and the fits were very infrequent yesterday. During the night, she started coughing and coughing and it just didn't stop. It persisted for about 2-3 minutes with a cough approximately every 2 seconds. She seemed like she couldn't come out of it. Eventually she started crying and I picked her up an she calmed down and was okay.

I nursed her this morning and as soon as I was done, she started another one of those fits. Dry hacking cough one after the other, but this time she continued until she threw up. And then she cried.

In between fits, she's happy and alert and doesn't seem sick at all. Not even a runny nose.

I've never seen anything quite like this in my other kids and am at a loss. Would you go to the doctor for this?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:01 am
I just want to add that I have 2 kids with runny noses and coughs and one had fever--clearly something viral going on there, but the baby's presentation is very different.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:24 am
Was there a gasping for breath at the end of each cough? That might be whooping cough. Dont want to scare u but any coughing attack that ends in throwing up and lasts that long, especially in such a tiny baby should be checked out asap.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:25 am
Yes I would.

Context: Concerned mother is the biggest red flag here. I was very nervous a few times about my child's health, and most of those times it was something serious but treatable.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:29 am
amother wrote:
Was there a gasping for breath at the end of each cough? That might be whooping cough. Dont want to scare u but any coughing attack that ends in throwing up and lasts that long, especially in such a tiny baby should be checked out asap.

Thanks. She wasn't really gasping, but she sounded like she couldn't come up for air between coughs. I did get the pertussis vaccine when I was pregnant, so hopefully she's protected.

I'll probably take her in anyway. I'm not enamored by the pediatrician who's in today though.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:29 am
amother wrote:
Yes I would.

Context: Concerned mother is the biggest red flag here. I was very nervous a few times about my child's health, and most of those times it was something serious but treatable.

Thanks. I think you're right.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 4:41 am
Infants don't always present with the "whoop" of whooping cough. Better to get her checked.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 4:48 am
Thanks. I just got back. Her lungs are clear. He said I could give her nebulizer treatments of saline to loosen everything up.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:13 am
I'm trying not to freak out, but my baby's cough sounds just like this first 12 seconds of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....t=32s If I was vaccinated when I was pregnant, it's not likely she has whooping cough, is it?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:20 am
My baby has had a croupy dry cough a few times. They usually tell me to do nebulizer with saline.

Once it was actual croup. The rest of the times it was just plain scary.

But they had tested for RSV and Whooping cough bcause he sounded that bad.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:25 am
We had croup a few times. Easily treatable

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:31 am
Amother dtap during pregnancy doesnt give a ton of protection to baby. It s more to prevent you from exposing her. Rs!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:32 am
This is not croup. My kids have had croup plenty of times and this sounds nothing like it. It sounds just like the cough in the video, which is not a croupy cough. Croup sounds like a seal barking. This is different.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:46 am
Sebastian wrote:
Amother dtap during pregnancy doesnt give a ton of protection to baby. It s more to prevent you from exposing her. Rs!

Can you explain this? When I got the shot, the nurse told me that it was to protect the baby after birth until she was old enough to get the vaccine.

Latke

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:27 pm
It sounds like your baby doesn't have anything too serious, but I'd get it checked out just to be safe.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. I just got back. Her lungs are clear. He said I could give her nebulizer treatments of saline to loosen everything up.

OP my baby had exactly the same thing at the same four months. I was told the same thing by the doctor. The cough has persisted for almost two months and now she got a cold which turned her cough into a wet cough.
When I took her to the doctor again recently the doctor said it can be reflux or possibly allergy. It's to early to know since baby's lungs are still growing. If it will persist we will look into it more thoroughly. The cough only happens once in a blue moon when she is in her sleep and once in a while during the day. The doctor checked her oxygen levels and lungs and all is clear. They also recommended re nebulizer with saline or to fill the bathroom with steam from the shower .

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP my baby had exactly the same thing at the same four months. I was told the same thing by the doctor. The cough has persisted for almost two months and now she got a cold which turned her cough into a wet cough.
When I took her to the doctor again recently the doctor said it can be reflux or possibly allergy. It's to early to know since baby's lungs are still growing. If it will persist we will look into it more thoroughly. The cough only happens once in a blue moon when she is in her sleep and once in a while during the day. The doctor checked her oxygen levels and lungs and all is clear. They also recommended re nebulizer with saline or to fill the bathroom with steam from the shower .

Thank you for sharing this. Did you watch the video I linked to above? Is that what your baby's cough sounded like? It's exactly how my baby sounds.

Allergies, asthma, and reflux are rampant in our family, but this is something I've never seen before in any of my kids. And I have a lot of them (as in more than you can count on your fingers).

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:54 pm
(Many doctors wouldn't be able to recognize pertussis unkess they actively see the coughing fit. And even so, not all would recognize it. Doctors are trained to look for horses not zebras and whopping cough is quite uncommon.
When my baby had it, she didn't have any fever or classic cold symptoms. And her pediatrician missed the diagnosis.
Diagnosis is from witnessing the cough and confirmed with nasal swab.)

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. Did you watch the video I linked to above? Is that what your baby's cough sounded like? It's exactly how my baby sounds.

Allergies, asthma, and reflux are rampant in our family, but this is something I've never seen before in any of my kids. And I have a lot of them (as in more than you can count on your fingers).

My baby's cough is a bit more barky than the one in the video and she is able to catch her breathe after and not cry but she turns red around her eyes and gets tears and her face is all red from the force of the cough. My mother was by me and when she heard the cough she insisted we go to the doctor that day. She came with me and was shocked when the doctor said it's nothing to be concerned about. She did mention that Pertussis is going around but that my baby had just had her vaccine so then it wouldn't be the case. She did warn me that if there are additional symptoms or if the cough worsens to bring her back right away, but everything remained exactly the same.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
(Many doctors wouldn't be able to recognize pertussis unkess they actively see the coughing fit. And even so, not all would recognize it. Doctors are trained to look for horses not zebras and whopping cough is quite uncommon.
When my baby had it, she didn't have any fever or classic cold symptoms. And her pediatrician missed the diagnosis.
Diagnosis is from witnessing the cough and confirmed with nasal swab.)

This is precisely my concern. The doctor saw her for 5 minutes when she was asleep and not having a coughing fit. All he did was listen to her lungs and tell me they were clear, which I knew because her cough is not pleghmy or croupy. She also has no cold symptoms or fever. Just coughing.

How long did it take to get results of the nasal swab? Did your baby have to be hospitalized?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics