Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Keto friendly dinner recipes anyone?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:22 pm
So I am going to be embarking on the keto diet shortly... but bh being busy and having limited time, I really need to have easy meal and snack plans ready. For anyone who has done this before can you post what kind of food you ate? TIA!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:54 pm
Lots of ideas here. Skip any processed ideas, legumes, faux sugar or condiment ideas.

Only choose low carb veggie ideas like green vegetables (lettuce, celery, cucumber, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, green beans, avocado, kale, zucchini), yellow summer squash, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cauliflower, cabbage, mushrooms, daikon, radish, bamboo shoots, etc.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 03 2019, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 4:05 pm
thank you ra_mom!

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:52 am
Op can you share which program or how you are doing this? Would love to hear more. Thanks

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:43 am
I usually make a salad with olive oil dressing
To the salad I add hemp hearts or pecans
Then I have 4 oz of protein chicken, ground beef, fish, I mix it up.
And
Some veggies
broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, Brussels sprouts, string beans, what ever I have in the Freezer.

I love making sautéed ground beef with pepper, onions, tomato sauce, green olives
Just make sure to measure the Macros, then I split it up in premeasured baggies and I freeze them.
I also freeze hamburgers- raw
Meatballs- just browned
And tuna/salmon patties
I have salmon pieces in the freezer from Costco.
In other wards I try to be well stocked so dinner is as easy as possible.

I’ve been known to stick frozen proteins and veggies in the oven at high temps. While I eat my salad it cooks.

I serve the family the same. I have 2 different batches if needed, 1 premeasure for me and a large batch for the family.

And I only make “faux recipes” for shabbos and special occasions, but you may need things like wraps, breads, muffins, cakes, brownies. You can make large batches and freeze. I suggest you freeze them individual portions, so you know to take only one. Do the same with nuts. Pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts are the best. STAY AWAY from pistachio, cashews, and peanuts.

It’s best not to snack through out the day
Every time you put something in your mouth you spike insulin.
Try to have bigger meals and lots of good fats.
If you are getting hungry in between you’re not eating enough fats the meal before. Maybe add a handful of nuts, or a fat bomb at the end of the meal.
In the beginning stick to 3 hearty meals a day.
Slowly, you’ll get to 2 meals,
And then you can start eating between a certain window of time.

I like to watch dr berg on YouTube. He gives A TON of free advise.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:01 pm
Another thing I wanted to add
You must drink a lot of water
AND You must replace your electrolytes.
I drink 70oz of water a day and to this I add 1tsp pink salt 1 tsp magnesium and 1 tsp cream of Tatar (potassium).
This will help A LOT with keto flu,

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:00 pm
Thank you everyone! So I am on day two so far and definitely feeling some keto flu symptoms. I'm finding it's a challenge to keep everything under my 22g carb limit- this is a big lifestyle change for me! But I'm determined to lose fifteen pounds on this diet. Also for the amother who asked, a family member of mine has been on the keto diet for a couple of weeks with really good results, I'm not doing any specific program- they are helping me out. Youtube, pinterest, and many online sources have all the info you need pretty much.

marina

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:34 pm
tonight I had

deviled eggs
salmon patties w cheese
feta spinach salad

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:36 pm
marina wrote:
tonight I had

deviled eggs
salmon patties w cheese
feta spinach salad

yum! can you give me the recipe for all those things?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone! So I am on day two so far and definitely feeling some keto flu symptoms. I'm finding it's a challenge to keep everything under my 22g carb limit- this is a big lifestyle change for me! But I'm determined to lose fifteen pounds on this diet. Also for the amother who asked, a family member of mine has been on the keto diet for a couple of weeks with really good results, I'm not doing any specific program- they are helping me out. Youtube, pinterest, and many online sources have all the info you need pretty much.

For keto flu you need to replace electrolytes and have more salt. Also you need to drink a lot.

Keep your food simple
Protein
Low carb veg
Fat

For my first meal I had
3oz salmon
1 avocado
2 TBSP butter in decaf coffee

2nd meal
4 oz lamb chop (special for Rosh Chodesh )
8 oz green salad
3 TBSP Homemade Mayo
4oz Broccoli

I do intermittent fasting

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:24 am
This isn't a dinner recipe, but I find it very helpful.

Keto Bread
1-1/4 cups almond flour
5 tbsp. ground psyllium husk powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
toppings, optional (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc.)

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.

Moisten hands and make 6 pieces of the dough. Place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They're done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.

Serve with butter and toppings of your choice.

After baking, I slice each roll into 4 thin slices and toast them in a skillet with either a little olive oil or butter, and then eat as desired (usually just with butter). I find them very filling.

The recipe author states nutritional info as follows (per roll/6 per recipe):
Net carbs: 4 % (2 g)
Fiber: 6 g
Fat: 79 % (13 g)
Protein: 17 % (7 g)
kcal: 170

My calculation comes up a little different:
Net carbs: 2.6 g
Fiber: 12 g
Fat: 9.4 g
Protein: 5.8 g
kcal: 154

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:

Eat salt for keto flu it also helps with constipation

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:37 am
If you pm me with your email address, I’ll send you the nsng PDF.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:37 am
I've been doing this for around 6 weeks. My biggest challenge from day 1 has been getting in enough fat. I found that the Keto Bread recipe I posted above helped a lot as I can put butter or cream cheese on it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:43 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I've been doing this for around 6 weeks. My biggest challenge from day 1 has been getting in enough fat. I found that the Keto Bread recipe I posted above helped a lot as I can put butter or cream cheese on it.

I’m so glad it’s going well!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:25 am
OOTBubby wrote:

How many grams of fat are you striving for?
Some experts say to only eat as much as you need in order to tap into your own fat stores.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
How many grams of fat are you striving for?
Some experts say to only eat as much as you need in order to tap into your own fat stores.

I am aiming for 115 grams of fat which is what the macro calculator says I need. I was often only getting half of that. Now I'm more in the 3/4 range. Since urine tests don't show ketosis and I am barely losing (and sometimes hungry) I assume I am not getting in enough.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:16 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I am aiming for 115 grams of fat which is what the macro calculator says I need. I was often only getting half of that. Now I'm more in the 3/4 range. Since urine tests don't show ketosis and I am barely losing (and sometimes hungry) I assume I am not getting in enough.

Are you doing bullet proof coffee.
I do 2 TBSP of butter and blend it with a small blender. Really yummy, good fats, and keeps you full for a long time

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
Are you doing bullet proof coffee.
I do 2 TBSP of butter and blend it with a small blender. Really yummy, good fats, and keeps you full for a long time

I know about that, but it's not for me, as I'm not a coffee drinker at all.

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:21 pm
Following this
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen