Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What has your dd done in summer post sem?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:05 pm
My dd will be back from sem in June. What do the girls do then /for the summer? She will likely not start work September. She would do a camp but isnt keen on being a counsellor again with a big responsibility. ...
Any ideas/thoughts?
I would like her to make some money at least.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:08 pm
College classes.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:09 pm
What does she want to do? What are her friends doing?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:19 pm
I either worked in a camp or found a local job (not day amp, regular job) and Volenteered to help explore career interest. The summers after I was in college through the summer.

animeme

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:21 pm
College. Or she can take a course in something she can use and that interests her, like graphic design or sheitel/hair or programming. If she is academic, she can do summer tutoring for kids who need help to catch up or cement concepts. She can also start looking for work now; if she will not be working in a school, she can start over the summer.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:22 pm
I started college immediately after seminary. It's also a good time to start looking for a job.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:25 pm
My DD did start working that summer (job she has continued to work on...)

Can she get a job babysitting/mothers helper for a few hours a day? Less overwhelming than caring for a whole group of campers, and good money sometimes.

esther11

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:55 pm
I went to work in a kiruv camp. Many of my friends worked in chessed style camps as well (simcha, the zone, nageela, kids of courage...), some went to their regular camps, some got office jobs, and some started college.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 8:37 pm
I was a shiur counselor in a sleepaway camp. I really enjoyed! But that's not a paying job.
Otherwise, I would have worked for my father or gone to (frum) college. I worked for my father as extra receptionist several summers in high school, and attended a semester of (frum) college the summer before seminary.

I think your daughters options are:
Have fun, don't get paid
Work a summer job, perhaps minimal pay
Intern in potential fields that she's interested in
Begin working toward parnassah - college or coursesa
Any others?

Unless you only want her to be a teacher (I am, but with a degree!), a saleslady, or a secretary, she should think of a career and goals.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:30 pm
I worked in a special needs day camp for the beginning of the summer and got my regular job in middle of the summer, so I started working then already. (The kids go to sleep away camp then, the day camp is only for the beginning and the end of the summer)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children