Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Lightweight Dell Laptop or Ipad? Both are similar price.
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:25 pm
Lightweight Dell Laptop or Ipad? Both are similar price. Which do I choose?

Im looking for a 2nd very portable computer. Im not into games. I need it for basic use. The Dell is very lightweight, probably not too much heavier than the Ipad. I can add 1 TB of hard drive space to the Dell Laptop for about $100.

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop - AMD A6 - Gray

BrandDell
Computer Screen TypeTouch Screen
Computer Type2-in-1
Graphic CardIntegrated Graphics
Hard Drive Size32 GB
Modeli3185-A760GRY-PUS
Operating SystemWindows 10
Optical DriveNo Optical Drive
ProcessorAMD A6
RAM Included4 GB
Resolution DescriptionHD
Screen Size11.6 in.

or

Apple iPad A10 Fusion Chip 128GB - Silver - Latest Model

BrandApple
ColorSilver
Computer TypeiPad
ConnectivityWiFi Only
Delivery TypeWarehouse Pick-up
ModelMR7K2LL/A
Operating SystemiOS
Screen Size9.7 in.
Storage Capacity128 GB
Type9.7

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:29 pm
I have the IPad Pro with a brydge keyboard. I am past the age of doing significant word processing so I like that I can use it for light typing with the keyboard or take the keyboard off and use it as a tablet. I also like that its easy to keep on a high shelf away from my kids.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:11 pm
What are your specific needs.

I have an iPAD and I love it for browsing the internet; reading books/magazines; email but I gravitate to my desk top for any kind of real typing as well as for documents that need to be filed/organized. I use my computer to keep track of all kinds of documents including scanning documents so I don't have to store paper. I also keep financial records with Quicken on the computer.

A laptop is portable and has more functionality - but it's not quite as portable and comfortable as an iPad if you want to curl up on the sofa and read email; books; watch media or whatever.

Since I have a desktop and don't need portable capability for what I need to do on the desktop, I don't need a laptop. If I didn't have a desktop computer, I would need a laptop because of what I actually need a computer and not a tablet for.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:43 pm
I would consider what other devices you have and how easy will it be to connect and sync.. do you have Apple or Android phones etc

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:09 pm
singleagain wrote:
I would consider what other devices you have and how easy will it be to connect and sync.. do you have Apple or Android phones etc

Yes I have the Iphone 5s.

Ill be replacing my 15" Laptop soon as well, but now I want something portable.

Im wondering what I can do on the Laptop mentioned above that I cant do on the Ipad, and vice versa, because price and weight are very similar. Theyd both serve the purpose, but after use, Im sure Ill discover that there are some differences I not aware of now, when I choose one over the other.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:03 am
I haven't found any problems using an iPhone with a PC, so I wouldn't recommend choosing a computer based on the type of phone one uses (OK, no experience with an Android and a Mac but I'm sure the Androd will auto-mount on a Mac just as well as it does on a PC). Macs and PCs have different styles of working, some people prefer one to the other, also the apps available on each are not entirely the same. So I'd recommend first seeing if there's an app you're used to on one or the other that you need (or would miss having) and if not, just spend half an hour doing stuff in each environment and see which you prefer.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:14 am
I just know my uncle who works in computers has says Apple products are designed to work better with each other and everything ... If you plan to stick forever with Apple.. It's something to consider... However, I also have a MacBook and an iPad... But a Google phone. They def work together...

I don't know if there's an objective yes or no answer here

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:22 am
OP here.

Ive had the Iphone 5s for along time and I cant think of any advantage of buying the Ipad because of it. When I use my phone, I use my phone, when I use my laptop, I use my laptop. I log in easily to all my accounts from both, including whatsapp.

Im just wondering if theres anything Im not aware of that I can do on a laptop that I cant do on an Ipad and vice versa. Those who have Ipads would know that.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:35 am
Synching of everything is easier if you stay in the Apple universe. I have Apple desktop; iPhone and ipad and all my important data like contacts, text messages; emails are available seamlessly between all my devices. I can also select stuff that would be synched seamlessly like books or files or photos.

I don't use my iPad for intensive computing functions that are more easily done on a computer - be it desk top or laptop.

On the other hand, the iPad is much more functional for casual use like browsing internet; email or whatever.

I can read a Word attachment on my iPad but it is much easier for me to create or edit a Word document or spreadsheet on the computer. There are word processing programs for use on an iPad but I find it easier to use a computer for that sort of thing - as well as filing and organizing my documents.

The reason no one can tell you which a person should get is because it really depends on what you want to use something for.

For example, I HATE using my iPhone X for the internet so I always use my iPad for that but even my iPad has limitations like not being able to keep multiple windows open at the same time so I tend to shop on my desktop.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:40 am
Amarante wrote:
even my iPad has limitations like not being able to keep multiple windows open at the same time so I tend to shop on my desktop.

Really? I used to have a Dell Venue 8 Tablet and I had multiple pages open at a time.

peacenine

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:43 am
Just another point to consider. For an iPad you need to buy a data plan like a phone and then you have Internet where ever you are. For computer you need to be able to connect to Internet. It makes a difference if you're planning to use it on the go or at home.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:49 am
peacenine wrote:
Just another point to consider. For an iPad you need to buy a data plan like a phone and then you have Internet where ever you are. For computer you need to be able to connect to Internet. It makes a difference if you're planning to use it on the go or at home.

The Ipad Im considering is limited to Wi-Fi only and costs $400. If I want one that uses a chip, its $900. I get internet on my phone, pretty much everywhere (except in train tunnels), so that works.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:22 pm
You don't need to get the iPad with cellular connectivity as Wifi is adequate for normal purposes.

In fact, you can use your iPhone as a mobile hot spot as it's built into the iPhone operating system. It came in very handy when my home internet was down as I was able to use my phone to provide Wifi service to my computer and my iPad.

I am not aware of any laptop computers that have cellular connections.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
You don't need to get the iPad with cellular connectivity as Wifi is adequate for normal purposes.

In fact, you can use your iPhone as a mobile hot spot as it's built into the iPhone operating system. It came in very handy when my home internet was down as I was able to use my phone to provide Wifi service to my computer and my iPad.

I am not aware of any laptop computers that have cellular connections.

Thanks thats a BIG plus! How do you use your phone as a "Hotspot"? Anything you have to do?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:28 pm
It's in the Settings and you turn it on in your iPhone and then you select your iPhone as your Wifi source on your computer or iPad the way you select any kind of Wifi.

I am on TMobile so it's free. I am not sure if it costs extra for other providers so you should check with them. With TMobile, it literally is as simple as selecting it on your phone and I think I had to use my password - same as any other Wifi.

My cellular plan is unlimited data so I didn't have to worry about going over my plan. However, I don't stream movies or other high band stuff so my usage tends to be pretty moderate anyway.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am not sure if it costs extra for other providers so you should check with them.

I got the answer.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/hotspot

Its $10 a month for Cricket customers (I have a great family plan with Cricket). I really dont need more than a phone when away from home though.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Lightweight Dell Laptop or Ipad? Both are similar price. Which do I choose?

Im looking for a 2nd very portable computer. Im not into games. I need it for basic use. The Dell is very lightweight, probably not too much heavier than the Ipad. I can add 1 TB of hard drive space to the Dell Laptop for about $100.

What is basic use for you?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
What is basic use for you?

Emails, Imamother, Youtube, playing music, shopping sites, mostly.

What am I missing out on, folks?

srbmom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:32 pm
The biggest difference between a tablet and a laptop are storage and processor speeds. A laptop includes a hard drive where everything is being physically saved and it running actual full-size programs.
A tablet has storage but for the most part significant sized things will end up being save in the cloud. It is also running apps which are often "lighter" versions of programs and may not have as many features.
If your major use is internet browsing an iPad probably makes more sense

librarygirl

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:53 pm
Maybe I'm an old fogey, but typing is so much easier on a laptop with a keyboard than on an ipad. You can buy an external keyboard though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics