Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help! School anxiety

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:55 pm
12 year old son has so much school anxiety that it hampers his ability to do well. He freezes up when he takes tests. Studying is a nightmare. He's bright and has no real issues or disabilities, or any reason that should be preventing him.

I'm looking for suggestions, including therapy. But if therapy, what would be the name of the program or type of therapist to look for?

miry1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:29 pm
Cognitive behavioral therapy has good efficacy for children. Many therapists use that form of therapeutic intervention. Anxiety is common and it is treatable.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:29 pm
Look for a therapist who specializes in "school refusal". This type of anxiety is a very specific phobia, and needs to be treated as one.

If are terrified of spiders, would you look forward to working with tarantulas all day?

The other thing, is that it can also be tied to perfectionism. If he can't do it 100% right, it's too scary or futile to even try, so he shuts down. Either way, CBT is the best modality for therapy.

I wish I knew about this when DD was younger, it would have saved us so much misery! Please get this treated ASAP, because the longer you wait, the worse it will get.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:15 pm
Thank you both, this is so helpful. FF that's the perfect analogy. And yes I do think perfectionism is a strong component.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics