Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Home Decor

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 12:51 pm
I was looking at real estate listings in Monsey and was surprised at how dreary and sterile most of the homes looked in terms of decor. Beautiful exteriors and well maintained lawns so I was surprised by the interiors.

Periodically I see people asking about decorators and I also see many chic frum women so I imagine that their homes would also reflect some kind of attractive personal decorative element.

Some of these homes are $800,000, $1million so the people theoretically have some degree of money - not all of them could be so completely cash poor that all they can afford literally are beds and a table Very Happy

Are these homes not lived in and so only minimal utilitarian furniture remains?

Genuinely confused because generally homes I visit are "decorated" - not necessarily with expensive super-elegant stuff but look as if someone wanted their house to be some reflection of their family and their personal taste.

Again, it's not that I am pointing out stuff that isn't expensive and done to the nines but these homes don't seem to be a place reflecting a family life.

abound

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:38 pm
maybe they are staged

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:44 pm
abound wrote:
maybe they are staged

I thought of that but when I see "staged" homes or listings for what are presumably secular homes, they are generally decorated versus most of these homes having nothing on the walls and perhaps a random sofa put into the mix.

I ask because I was so surprised as the frum homes I am familiar with look like regular homes - some have expensive furniture - some have IKEA furniture but they all look as if someone wanted to put a personal stamp on the homes.

So I was wondering if this was a Monsey thing to have very bare interiors with just the minimum necessary - I.e. a girl's bedroom will have two beds with bed cover but no other sign that the girls live in the bedroom.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:50 pm
It's a certain modern style to have a very little stuff. They probably have built in closets on bedrooms for a cleaner look. It's not a Monsey thing specifically...

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
It's a certain modern style to have a very little stuff. They probably have built in closets on bedrooms for a cleaner look. It's not a Monsey thing specifically...

I am not thinking it should have what is called the "million dollar" tchotchke look LOL LOL

Given that the style of the furniture that is there is not modern at all, I don't think this was a deliberate aesthetic minimalistic decision.

I was just surprised that the homes didn't look more "heimish"

I am not saying this should be a Monsey living room but it is what I think of as a stereotypical "ultra modern" non-cluttered living room - obviously high end of course

And here's a more traditional room that isn't cluttered and oongapatchnik LOL

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:13 pm
It could be the area you are looking in. It is my experience in Monsey that in general the non--Jews maintain their lawns and landscape nicer than the Jews.

Also, housing prices have increased so much over the last ten years that an $800,000 house is not necessarily that upscale. It depends on the area. My house increased a million more than purchase price plus improvements over the last decade.

I find the interiors decorated like you show not so common either.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
It could be the area you are looking in. It is my experience in Monsey that in general the non--Jews maintain their lawns and landscape nicer than the Jews.

Also, housing prices have increased so much over the last ten years that an $800,000 house is not necessarily that upscale. It depends on the area. My house increased a million more than purchase price plus improvements over the last decade.

I find the interiors decorated like you show not so common either.

I didn't mean that these interiors were common - they are very expensive and from Architectural Digest. I just selected one to illustrate that "modern" doesn't mean completely devoid of any element of individual human taste.

As I wrote, income doesn't have anything to do with it as there are people who decorate their homes inexpensively with IKEA, estate sales; thrift stores etc.

I was just surprised that none of the homes listed that I was looking at had any element of personal decorative style. I understand that you would want a neat appearance for listing photos.

At any rate, then it's interesting that most people in Monsey actually decorate their homes to their personal taste Very Happy

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:47 pm
I bought my home when I was young and could not afford to decorate it. Over time, I've made several purchases,but my walls are still bare.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:15 pm
I actually feel that the second picture is cluttered. I would remove all pillows and leave coffee table and above fireplace empty. But I guess everyone is different

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:34 pm
What listings are you looking at? Whay area?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't mean that these interiors were common - they are very expensive and from Architectural Digest. I just selected one to illustrate that "modern" doesn't mean completely devoid of any element of individual human taste.

As I wrote, income doesn't have anything to do with it as there are people who decorate their homes inexpensively with IKEA, estate sales; thrift stores etc.

I was just surprised that none of the homes listed that I was looking at had any element of personal decorative style. I understand that you would want a neat appearance for listing photos.

At any rate, then it's interesting that most people in Monsey actually decorate their homes to their personal taste Very Happy

You seem to be confusing architectural digest homes with personal decorating style. There is nothing personal about those homes.

I actually had a friend who owned a 3 story 5th Avenue Manhattan penthouse featured in architectural digest. I asked him where are your things? He didn't understand. I told him there is nothing personal here. So he put up a picture of his mother. It was about 4" x 6" smack in the middle of the wall.

If you are looking for those types of homes, you are looking in the wrong neighborhood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics