Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Food related tv series.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:14 pm
I just finished a few Israeli food series absolutely love them!! I find they are much more relatable than other ones. Can anyone recommend any?

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:47 pm
Chopped

Somebody Feed Phil

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 2:58 pm
Top Chef for drama

The British Bakeoff Show (forget exact name) is wonderful because there is no drama between contestants and they are genuinely supportive instead of being cutthroat. They have switched from BBC and hosts changed so the new ones might be different

For learning cooking skills, nothing beats America's Test Kitchen which is the show produced by the Cooks Illustrated people. It's on PBC in the US. Even if you aren't making the actual dish, it is still helpful because of the great cooking techniques and tips that are universal to many recipes.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I just finished a few Israeli food series absolutely love them!! I find they are much more relatable than other ones. Can anyone recommend any?

Can you tell me what it is called?

I love watching Masterchef Austrailia, Masterchef Canada, Masterchef USA, My Kitchen Rules Austrailia & My Kitchen Rules New Zealand.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
Can you tell me what it is called?

I love watching Masterchef Austrailia, Masterchef Canada, Masterchef USA, My Kitchen Rules Austrailia & My Kitchen Rules New Zealand.

There is my kitchen rules Israel.
משחקי השף and משחקי השף קונדיטור

I absolutely loved them! Highly recommend it!!

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:23 pm
Chopped.

Cutthroat Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen

Masterchef Junior

The Taste

The Final Table

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:30 pm
Amarante wrote:
Top Chef for drama

The British Bakeoff Show (forget exact name) is wonderful because there is no drama between contestants and they are genuinely supportive instead of being cutthroat. They have switched from BBC and hosts changed so the new ones might be different

For learning cooking skills, nothing beats America's Test Kitchen which is the show produced by the Cooks Illustrated people. It's on PBC in the US. Even if you aren't making the actual dish, it is still helpful because of the great cooking techniques and tips that are universal to many recipes.

While the great British baking show should be benign, I feel there is a not so hidden agenda promoting alternative lifestyle choices. Letting op know so she can make informed decision

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:34 pm
octopus wrote:
While the great British baking show should be benign, I feel there is a not so hidden agenda promoting alternative lifestyle choices. Letting op know so she can make informed decision

What in the world are you seeing in this completely benign television show? Surprised

Like the real world, some of the contestants are gay but most of them aren't so it's a reflection of the real world. They don't discuss any aspects of their s*exuality or promote any kind of political or other agenda.

The most that could be said is that people see that gay men and women are nice people who bake delicious looking things Very Happy

I

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:51 pm
octopus wrote:

Major alternative lifestyle. These people actually make baked goods the old fashioned way.

Please don't show my kids. They think cakes only come from the store.

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:58 pm
Look, I'm totally addicted. But it's not something I would watch with my kids. When female contestants talk about their wife or male contestant talk about their husband , it's not something I would let my kids watch. Or the hosts from the beginning seasons who are both female and are a couple.

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 8:00 pm
And it's in every season

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 10:55 pm
Masterchef Australia is THE single best food show out there. No comparison to the American version.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:27 am
Feed Phil makes me sad. He eats SO much treif, and oohs and aaahs over it. I just want to scoop him up and give him a good kugel. Sad

The Final Table is really good. It's nice and clean, and it's so fun to see these seasoned chefs nearly pee their pants when they find out their absolute idol is going to be judging them. They're so excited to be in the same room that they don't even care if they loose!

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:52 am
octopus wrote:
Look, I'm totally addicted. But it's not something I would watch with my kids. When female contestants talk about their wife or male contestant talk about their husband , it's not something I would let my kids watch. Or the hosts from the beginning seasons who are both female and are a couple.

That is not a "hidden agenda" - that is just a show that takes no position but draws people from a broad section representing the actual population of Great Britain.

A hidden agenda is if there was some scheme to indoctrinate people in to a certain way of thinking - if people were cast to play roles as hidden heroes or villains.

The bakes often include bakes for x-mas or Halloween or even Saint Valentines Day - does this reflect a hidden agenda or jus that benign mainstream media is going to reflect what most people consider to be what goes on in the real world.

If you work or even have any kind of interaction in the wider world, chances are you will know a gay person with a spouse and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the superficial interaction you have with that person.

And also the OP didn't say she was looking for programming suitable for a young child - presumably an adult is not going to be "indoctrinated" by viewing a program that has people who say they are gay :-).

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
That is not a "hidden agenda" - that is just a show that takes no position but draws people from a broad section representing the actual population of Great Britain.

A hidden agenda is if there was some scheme to indoctrinate people in to a certain way of thinking - if people were cast to play roles as hidden heroes or villains.

The bakes often include bakes for x-mas or Halloween or even Saint Valentines Day - does this reflect a hidden agenda or jus that benign mainstream media is going to reflect what most people consider to be what goes on in the real world.

If you work or even have any kind of interaction in the wider world, chances are you will know a gay person with a spouse and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the superficial interaction you have with that person.

And also the OP didn't say she was looking for programming suitable for a young child - presumably an adult is not going to be "indoctrinated" by viewing a program that has people who say they are gay :-).

It is a hidden agenda in my book when it is in every season. People ask for show suggestions all the time on here and people give suggestions. I let op know in case she has an issue with it. How many times have ppl asked for clean show suggestions with no nudity and bad language and people go ahead and suggest shows with nudity and language. I gave a headsup to op. Putting a smiley face at the end of your post doesn't take the edge out of your post. Don't like my post? Too bad.

cm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:38 pm
Amarante wrote:

Absolutely agreed - until your last paragraph. A young child will not be indoctrinated into homosexuality either. No one will.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:47 pm
cm wrote:
Absolutely agreed - until your last paragraph. A young child will not be indoctrinated into homosexuality either. No one will.

I don’t disagree since people are born with their orientations and they aren’t lured into it by hidden agendas. You don’t become contaminated by knowing that homosexuality exists.

I was acknowledging that some parents might choose to raise children in a particularly cloistered manner since there are many who don’t permit children to view even the benign stuff that is G rated. The reality is that most people don’t find merely presenting people as having same relations partners must be hidden.

I just meant it never occurred to me that an adult might view this show as problematic and certainly if the show is viewed as having a hidden agenda, I don’t know what would pass muster.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:28 pm
octopus wrote:
It is a hidden agenda in my book when it is in every season. People ask for show suggestions all the time on here and people give suggestions. I let op know in case she has an issue with it. How many times have ppl asked for clean show suggestions with no nudity and bad language and people go ahead and suggest shows with nudity and language. I gave a headsup to op. Putting a smiley face at the end of your post doesn't take the edge out of your post. Don't like my post? Too bad.

So what is the hidden agenda?

To desensitize people from thinking that alternative lifesyles are bad - by showing them relate-able people who have 'alternative lifestyles' - so that people will be more willing to accept that people with that lifestyle aren't terrible... and therefore change the way they vote on same relations issues?

imachossid

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:38 pm
Anything from Gordon Ramsey- 24 hrs to H*ll & back etc.

1untamedgirl

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:20 pm
octopus wrote:

It may just be that they can't discriminate so they have to include them on each show. Or they are just trying to ensure that they are reaching a certain demographic so that the ratings will be higher which may also be why some of the contestants are kept on longer than others even if they are mediocre at best. Either way, it is not a Jewish show per se and they have a right to decide who to include in their shows so long as its not discriminatory and they are fair in judging (although I do think all judging should be blind which is why I like The Taste but that is a whole other discussion). You don't have to watch these shows if you don't want to but it will be increasingly difficult to watch any shows as more and more people come out and live open alternative lifestyles. That said, op only asked for cooking shows and didn't say anything about it being clean or not having bad language so not sure why you would even bring it up as it is a non-issue in the first place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics