Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial Situation- Poll
1  2  3  Next

Are you struggling financially?
Yes, I'm really in a big crunch right now  
 24%  [ 59 ]
Not necessarily poor but can't afford luxuries  
 30%  [ 74 ]
B"h I can afford to buy an extra item or treat myself a bit  
 32%  [ 78 ]
We're B"h well off, I have what I want, and give tzeduka to the poor  
 12%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 241

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:22 pm
We're not talking about the average person, who's not wealthy. Most people can't afford everything they wish for.
If your answer is yes struggling, it means you're in an extreme poverty situation. It means you don't have money, are in debt (no savings put away) and are living on thin air.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:26 pm
What are you considering as luxuries?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:52 am
Well, I believe going on vacations can be considered a luxury. Buying extra stuff for the house or yourself. Renovating the house...
Things you "wanna" have versus "needs".
There are must have necessities and wants. Wants are usually luxury to some extent.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:57 am
How can we work out that voters from category four, to help out voters in category one? When all are anonymous?

mom_13

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
How can we work out that voters from category four, to help out voters in category one? When all are anonymous?

This is so thoughtful, forward thinking, and super kind. 👏👏

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:25 am
Wait, I think cat 3&4 are confusing. We have enough, I can buy myself a Next sweater or new purse from time to time, I cant have whaterver I want, but we do give tzedakah. You dont need to have everything before giving to others, just enough. (Our tzedakah goes to family & community, so is all "spoken for")

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:16 am
I believe everyone gives charity on a certain level.
What I meant by well off and giving tzeduka is if you make a nice income and can afford decent luxuries.
Maybe you can sponsor some money to a family that's in the first bracket. Can we make shidduchim here?
I would ask Yael if there's a way of getting in touch with each other (anonymously). At least you would know for a fact you're money is going to a real cause.
Are you in for such an idea?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:35 am
I think you’re missing a category. We have a lot of what we want, we give tzedakah. But our income is not one that would be considered well off. Also, I need to budget and NOT get a lot of things that I want.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:37 am
Mommy3b2c, you seem to be in third bracket. Of course as a yid you give tzeduka.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:18 am
Someone who struggles financially can still squirrel away a few dollars each week to save up for a vacation or other luxury if it’s important enough.
For example, growing up my parents were struggling. Any little bits, like birthday money, mymotherput aside in her "bread machine" account. That is where she saved her pennies till she had enough. (Her friend bought her a bread machine, so she kept the name but gets other stuff).
I would still consider one who budgets wisely and put aside a little to be struggling if they have trouble paying for the basics, food, tuition, utilities...

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
Mommy3b2c, you seem to be in third bracket. Of course as a yid you give tzeduka.

What’s third bracket?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:24 am
Also, everyone has the Mitzvah of tzedaka. If you have tuition to pay, some could co e from your maaser, talk to a Rav.
But giving tzedaka does not make one wealthy (actually it does...). It is not a way to describe a frum Jew as wealthy.

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
I believe everyone gives charity on a certain level.
What I meant by well off and giving tzeduka is if you make a nice income and can afford decent luxuries.
Maybe you can sponsor some money to a family that's in the first bracket. Can we make shidduchim here?
I would ask Yael if there's a way of getting in touch with each other (anonymously). At least you would know for a fact you're money is going to a real cause.
Are you in for such an idea?

How would I "know for a fact" that the money is going to a good cause?

Honestly, there is absolutely no way to know that. This is the internet. This thead could be a scam you set up with the intention of getting money from the beginning. I know men that went on this site to promote their cause. GoFundMes and collections for cancer victims are exposed everyday.

When posters tell their stories, sometimes it touches us and we offer. Sometimes we get to know ladies through this site, and we offer. A place where money is available over the internet for someone who claims they are in need is ripe for abuse.

Some towns have collectors varify their story through the local rabbi. What mechanism do you propose to varify posters' stories?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:50 am
This Is going to sound absolutely crazy but I go from feeling like I fit in category 1 to feeling like I fit in category 4 on a day to day basis. We are In our late 20s with 2 kids and own our home (parents didn't help at all with down payment) . I'm in the service business and sometimes I'm doing better financially than others. My husband is in grad school and wont be making money for a few years but then his salary will hopefully be 150k +
We have access to a lot student loans if we need it (or want it) and we have very little savings relative to our cost of living in our expense community...
We have a tremendous mortgage and DH tuition is also debt we are accumulating...
When I gave birth in the past my emunah certainly strengthened but Hashem helped the money come when we needed it . So I tell me, do I vote ?!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:56 am
Most people giving charity have their fill of causes just from within their immediate circle, or at least that's my experience!
I wish I would earn as much money as maaser I would like to give for tzedaka.

Even if we do give a couple thousand a month in charity I would not be available to sign up for such a program.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
This Is going to sound absolutely crazy but I go from feeling like I fit in category 1 to feeling like I fit in category 4 on a day to day basis. We are In our late 20s with 2 kids and own our home (parents didn't help at all with down payment) . I'm in the service business and sometimes I'm doing better financially than others. My husband is in grad school and wont be making money for a few years but then his salary will hopefully be 150k +
We have access to a lot student loans if we need it (or want it) and we have very little savings relative to our cost of living in our expense community...
We have a tremendous mortgage and DH tuition is also debt we are accumulating...
When I gave birth in the past my emunah certainly strengthened but Hashem helped the money come when we needed it . So I tell me, do I vote ?!

You are definitely in the being well off bracket.
You live in an expensive community, you own a nice large house.... of course you'll have a larger mortgage to pay and feel a bit crunched.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:14 am
To figure out in which bracket you belong, Look at what lifestyle you live. Do you do luxury trips, go on vacations, buy whenever you feel you want something, decorate your house, take lunch breaks often...
That's considered being well off.
Btw, if you live Frugally but put away (even small amounts) money, you are considered in the second tier. Not poor, but not rich...

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:19 am
I'm above the below and below the upper
I'm stuck in the middle where the money gets tight
But I guess I'm doing all right

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:21 am
amother wrote:

I figured out what is troubling me so much about this thread.

Come right out and say this is a financial helping thead rather than a light hearted poll. I feel it was your intention from the beginning to ask for money. You, the OP, mentioned getting money early.

I don't like the political polls either. They are a great marketing tool to find supporters to ask for donations.

mom!

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:23 am
There is a fifth category, those of us who can bH pay our bills but no room for luxuries. This means that yes here and there I will buy myself a small treat ($10 range) but not more than that. I grew up financially well off, with zero clue about money. My parents bH help us generously and I work VERY VERY hard. We do not have government programs (besides for insurance for kids). But guess what?? The cost of living is astronomical. I lowered my standards DRASTICALLY. So while you may think, oh I see her in the neighborhood grocery instead of the supermarket so she much have money, that isn't necessarily the case. I come there to buy bread, milk ect nothing else. We are working very hard to put away money for a house. Yes, my father has mentioned to me that is planning to help me but I have no idea if that means $5,000 or $50,000. So yes, I pay my bills BH BH and I am so grateful to Hashem for allowing us to be in this wonderful place that many people wish to be in. But I am in no way able to swing luxuries...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics