Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o When you work full time you have a lot of cleaning help
1  2  3  4  Next

Working Hours / Cleaning Help
I work full time - have no cleaning help  
 18%  [ 81 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 14%  [ 63 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help twice a week or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I work part time - have no cleaning help  
 13%  [ 61 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help once a wk or less  
 12%  [ 56 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I am SAHM - have no cleaning help  
 7%  [ 33 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 6%  [ 30 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 444

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:59 am
So I work full time and have no cleaning help , and when I do have cleaning help I usually have CL for 6-8 hrs every other week. Most of my friends who work full time have less cleaning help then those of my friends who stay home or work part time. I think people who have enough money to afford to work part time (or stay home ) also have enough money for a CL. Anyway, I wanted to create a poll to see if my experience is common.

cm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:12 am
I have been both a SAHM and a working mom. I have never had cleaning help. I think there is more to the decision-making process than "SAHM=wealthy."

chatz

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:18 am
How many hours do you consider full time?

There's other factors. How helpful/involved the husband is, their standards, how they grew up, size of the home, their health, and number/age of children.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:24 am
I have never had cleaning help until September. Now I have an after school babysitter twice a week who also does some cleaning.

Many people I know have someone who comes once a week, regardless of their working status. But I find that the SAHM I know are more likely to have cleaning help than the working ones because they are generally in a more comfortable financial situation otherwise they would be working.

chatz

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:25 am
To illustrate:

Mom #1 is a SAHM. She has 3 kids under 3 at home with her. Her husband is out of the house from 6 am til 10 pm and is too exhausted to help much.

Mom #2 works full time. Her kids are elementary age or older. Hey husband comes home at 6 pm and every evening they do housework together.

Every situation is different.

Personally, I don't have cleaning help and it has more to do with my upbringing than my work hours.

turca

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:36 am
what is the big deal about having cleaning help or not???

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:39 am
chatz wrote:

There's other factors. How helpful/involved the husband is, their standards, how they grew up, size of the home, their health, and number/age of children.

Somehow I don't think this poll is going to be used to draw make any meaningful conclusions. I sure hope not.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
So I work full time and have no cleaning help , and when I do have cleaning help I usually have CL for 6-8 hrs every other week. Most of my friends who work full time have less cleaning help then those of my friends who stay home or work part time. I think people who have enough money to afford to work part time (or stay home ) also have enough money for a CL. Anyway, I wanted to create a poll to see if my experience is common.

Who watches your kids?

keym

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:49 am
I work 32 hours a week- not quite full time, but pretty full. I have 3 hours a week, and leading up to Pesach sometimes another hour.

Of all my friends, those that work 25+ hours a week tend to have no more than 2-5 hours a week, sometimes less.
Those who work very part time or not at all are my acquaintances who have 10-30 hours a week.

The one friend who has an in-house babysitter hires her to also do light housework.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:50 am
chatz wrote:

I know someone who is wealthy by any definition, has a large number of kids, and no cleaning help. For whatever reason, she prefers it that way.

I have fewer kids, a smaller home, and a much smaller income, and have help once a week.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:00 am
I think that there are so many variables that affect the decision to spending money on cleaning help.

I didn't have for many years. Then I had 2 hours a week for a while. Then nothing again.

But now I have 6 hours per week. I don't know... I'm in my 40s now. I get tired. The emotional needs of my children take a lot out of me. And I'm just not as physically strong as I used to be no matter how much I try to psyche myself up. Also, my responsibilities have changed. As a younger couple, we went away for shabbosim and yomtov. Now I make it all, and sometimes host.

I guess its come to a point where I need a bit of a break. I try to do and do and do for others. I have my struggles and hardships in my life that are terribly painful. If someone comes to help me out and wash down the bathrooms and kitchen floors and change the linens, so what. I am not superwoman. If I ever wanted to be that, its been a long time. I want to try to do my best when I can and try to be good enough when "best" isn't happening. I guess when you're in your 40s its different. You look at life differently. You look at self-definition differently. You know in a more clearly defined way that there is the end of the line, so to speak. And then you think life is so precious how do I want to live it. I would like to enjoy it while I try to make others around me enjoy their life as well. Its a different kind of drive and ambition than I had in my 20s and 30s.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:03 am
chatz wrote:

I'm the sahm who posted I get help. My husband works 24/7 at an excellent job but I can't ever expect him to do anything.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:08 am
keym wrote:
I work 32 hours a week- not quite full time, but pretty full. I have 3 hours a week, and leading up to Pesach sometimes another hour.

Of all my friends, those that work 25+ hours a week tend to have no more than 2-5 hours a week, sometimes less.
Those who work very part time or not at all are my acquaintances who have 10-30 hours a week.

The one friend who has an in-house babysitter hires her to also do light housework.

I think its quite obvious that those who work full time and the husband learns or works FT, barely have enough for food,clothing,rent, tuition.

The SAHMs can be SAHM because they are fairly well-to-do.

It just occurred to me that the other thread wasn't really about Hungarian/Chasidish or Yesh; or Isr/Amer or "how you were raised" .

It was HAVES AND HAVE-NOTS

Very simple...

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:11 am
chatz wrote:

I thought full time Ian universally defined as 40 hours per week.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:14 am
I work full time my kids are 2-8. I don't really have much more then a few hours a week of help but at the same time I rarely have more then one kid home at the same time. My 2 year old is home with DH all day but the 4 year old who helps him or um encourages him to make a mess does not come home until 1 and the older one 2:45 etc. Often times if there are appointments, errands etc no one will be home most of the day so the mess is reasonable to clean up.

If I had 3 under 3 well it would be a whole different story. I think its less about how many hours you work and more about how much mess do you and your kids make.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:15 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I think its quite obvious that those who work full time and the husband learns or works FT, barely have enough for food,clothing,rent, tuition.

The SAHMs can be SAHM because they are fairly well-to-do.

It just occurred to me that the other thread wasn't really about Hungarian/Chasidish or Yesh; or Isr/Amer or "how you were raised" .

It was HAVES AND HAVE-NOTS

Very simple...

To some degree, I agree with your post (Mashiach is coming!)

Though I know people who are have-nots who are spotlessly clean without cleaning help. It's just the way they were raised.

I have a SIL who irons every single piece of clothing in her house that goes thru the laundry. Herself. Large family. Spotless. That's just the way she is.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:19 am
Both my husband and I work full time (40 hrs per week). We dont have any cleaning help, (not because we dont need it!!) only because we realized that we didnt have much money for splurging on real non-necessities, so we decided to allocate the ammount of money we wouldve spent on cleaning help and use that for guilt free treats on us and the kids-as long as we keep the house clean.

So its a huge family effort. We all chip in, the kids get very involved, and we make it happen because like this we're able to reach in that jar and take the kids bowling, splurge on ice cream and art lessons and things like that

Not saying its easy, because it isnt. It takes a lot of hard work from everyone, but for us its worth it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:20 am
I once had a co-worker who said she was working F/T just to cover her F/T cleaning help.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:21 am
Chayalle wrote:
To some degree, I agree with your post (Mashiach is coming!)

Though I know people who are have-nots who are spotlessly clean without cleaning help. It's just the way they were raised.

I have a SIL who irons every single piece of clothing in her house that goes thru the laundry. Herself. Large family. Spotless. That's just the way she is.

A tremendous Adom Godol told my husband MANY years ago there are no nissim giluyim in this dor..

Obvious other equally important matters are falling by the wayside in your SIL's home...

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:28 am
Some people work full time and also have their kids in daycare till 5 or 6 pm. Then the kids go to sleep at 7 or 8 pm - how messy or dirty can the house get? Obviously a sahm with kids at home for most of the day will have a messier house.

Also, if you let your kids watch tv or use electronics means you need less toys and kids make less mess.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics