Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o When you work full time you have a lot of cleaning help
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Working Hours / Cleaning Help
I work full time - have no cleaning help  
 18%  [ 81 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 14%  [ 63 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help twice a week or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I work part time - have no cleaning help  
 13%  [ 61 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help once a wk or less  
 12%  [ 56 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I am SAHM - have no cleaning help  
 7%  [ 33 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 6%  [ 30 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 444

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:31 am
For those who work FT without household help, how does that work with your kids schedule. Kids are in school less than 40 hours and there are so many days off. My help is more babysitting than cleaning but if I didn't have many hours of help I would need to work school hours and cut my pay by a lot more than I pay my help.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:32 am
Raisin wrote:
Some people work full time and also have their kids in daycare till 5 or 6 pm. Then the kids go to sleep at 7 or 8 pm - how messy or dirty can the house get? Obviously a sahm with kids at home for most of the day will have a messier house.

Also, if you let your kids watch tv or use electronics means you need less toys and kids make less mess.

I’m not sure I agree. Putting toys alway on shelves isn’t cleaning. I consider cleaning to be: bathrooms, kitchens, surfaces, floors, windowsills: stuff that gets dirty from use. My oven, stove top, counters are dirty from cooking. My bathroom is dirty because a family uses it. Putting toys and books away is tidying up, certainly, but it’s not cleaning

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:34 am
I work part time, but I also do a lot of work at home. I am a single mother. I have no cleaning help.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:35 am
mommyhood wrote:
For those who work FT without household help, how does that work with your kids schedule. Kids are in school less than 40 hours and there are so many days off. My help is more babysitting than cleaning but if I didn't have many hours of help I would need to work school hours and cut my pay by a lot more than I pay my help.

To answe your question, mine is in full time daycare, not quite school age and not on a school schedule. But for others, I imagine that not all babysitters do housework and cleaning. I know many (most) of my friends who have nannies, the nannies don’t do cleaning.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:41 am
I am currently a SAHM because after I had my baby the expense of transportation and babysitting would have me coming home with so little at the end , that there wouldn't be any funds for anything extra, like cleaning help and it wouldn't be much of anything. So DH decided that for now my sanity is way more important then working, being strung out and still not coming home with anything.
I have suffered from severe depression one year when I was overworked and didn't have the extra help I needed and it took a toll physically and mentally on me. No money in the world is worth that suffering I went through. I made this choice for now. My DH is working harder and trying to compensate for my not working. However, I'm not a SAHM because I'm financially comfortable. I've worked the past 18 years with only taking a break for two years in between. I don't like that I had to make this choice . If I was able to get over my fear of driving that would cut down a transportation expense of $400 a month (if I worked). My goal is to get rid of my fear , get my drivers license and maybe reconsider going out to work.
I'm currently a SAHM and actually hate that I feel like I'm a cleaning lady all day. At least when I was at work I had a 7 hour break from cleaning.

cookies6

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:42 am
keym wrote:
I work 32 hours a week- not quite full time, but pretty full. I have 3 hours a week, and leading up to Pesach sometimes another hour.

Of all my friends, those that work 25+ hours a week tend to have no more than 2-5 hours a week, sometimes less.
Those who work very part time or not at all are my acquaintances who have 10-30 hours a week.

The one friend who has an in-house babysitter hires her to also do light housework.

I agree keym. I work the same hours as you and have 3 hours of cleaning help per week. And she's cleaning the bare minimum - just the bathrooms and kitchen.

I also have noticed that it's the women who are at home or work very minimally who have a lot more cleaning help.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:43 am
It could be on the whole, sahms are more likely to be better off, so can afford help. But also, not everyone works because they have to, plenty of women like working better than being a sahm. I've done both, have always had a lot of cleaning help either way (although more now that I'm working than when I was home). Both me and dh have ADHD and we wouldn't be able to manage without. We even had some cleaning help before we had kids. It's the absolute first priority in the budget after the actual necessities.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:47 am
Raisin wrote:
Some people work full time and also have their kids in daycare till 5 or 6 pm. Then the kids go to sleep at 7 or 8 pm - how messy or dirty can the house get? Obviously a sahm with kids at home for most of the day will have a messier house.

Also, if you let your kids watch tv or use electronics means you need less toys and kids make less mess.

I dont think the majority of full time workers have their kids away from home until 5 or 6. My friends and I work full time but our kids start coming home 4:30 and on, still have plenty of time to make messes and make the house a wreck.

I think we're cleaning more or less the same things: keeping bedrooms tidy, doing and putting away laundry, cleaning the kitchen, tidying living and dining rooms and play room etc full bathroom cleanings, sweep and mop, vaccume, dust, wash windows (less often)...all pretty much the same whether you work or not

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:02 pm
I work full time and have cleaning help once a week for about three hours. I live OOT and the biggest challenge here is that cleaning women charge by the house, not by the hour, so I pay $75 a week and she can finish the house in as many or as few hours as she wants. I have not been able to find anyone reliable who would charge hourly, and even then it’s still way more than what I’d pay in say the Brooklyn area. She is also not perfect and I still find myself having to do plenty of supplemental cleaning. That being said, I trust her completely and have no problem with her cleaning while I’m at work when no one is home. My favorite day of the week is the day she comes, I love coming home to a tip top house at least once a week. I still do a ton during the week however because my husband does essentially nothing in regard to house work and my kids make a huge mess, Bh.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
So I work full time and have no cleaning help , and when I do have cleaning help I usually have CL for 6-8 hrs every other week. Most of my friends who work full time have less cleaning help then those of my friends who stay home or work part time. I think people who have enough money to afford to work part time (or stay home ) also have enough money for a CL. Anyway, I wanted to create a poll to see if my experience is common.

The poll is misleading. I have three times a week - but a total of 7 hours. (I work full time).
Days in no way correlated to hours.

SacN

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:16 pm
Quote:

I think its quite obvious that those who work full time and the husband learns or works FT, barely have enough for food,clothing,rent, tuition.

Wait, what?

My husband be I both work full time. BH, we are comfortable enough to have 3 hours a week of cleaning help. We are both professionals.

esuss

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:57 pm
I work part time but have a very hard time finding help who is willing to come in the few hours that I am home. Right now I am lucky but could go months without any help because I can't find someone and don't trust them to be in my house by themselves.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:
To answe your question, mine is in full time daycare, not quite school age and not on a school schedule. But for others, I imagine that not all babysitters do housework and cleaning. I know many (most) of my friends who have nannies, the nannies don’t do cleaning.

Some cleaning, at least for the kids stuff is almost always part of a full time nanny's job description.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:14 pm
esuss wrote:
I work part time but have a very hard time finding help who is willing to come in the few hours that I am home. Right now I am lucky but could go months without any help because I can't find someone and don't trust them to be in my house by themselves.

This in out of the house twenty eight hours a week. I won’t live someone alone in my house. Finding help on Sunday is impossible. If someone knows of a cleaner in Brooklyn willing to work on sundays please let me know

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
Some cleaning, at least for the kids stuff is almost always part of a full time nanny's job description.

This has been my experience as well, they'll wash the kids dishes, fold their laundry, put away toys, which adds up to a nice amount of help.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:31 pm
Dh and both work full time and I consider us well off. I can definitely afford it but at the moment no cleaning help because I consider myself a balabusta and don't need it. It is constant maintenance that keeps things nice around here.

I have a few friends who make way less than us who have cleaning help because they are overwhelmed have bigger families are used to a standard of clean from their childhood.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:36 pm
Who says sahm are wealthy? Some communities it's the norm to work by some the majority are sahm.

I'm sahm & can't cover expenses, but couldn't go to work with a kid that was home due to illnes. Dh couldn't either work too much at time, bc of child's hospital stays & appts.

I have some help from HHA. Also more work where there were times that everything needed to be sterilized on a daily basis, like toys, couches, bathtubs, toilets, child's bed & bedroom, all surfaces touched by other kids, as dc was in a precarious stage.

More mess was created as well, as volunteers baked/melted choco/painted/did crafts/play dough all day & didnt always have time to clean up the mess before they were off.

After spending entire day at hosp with child I came home like a shmatte....didnt have physical or emotional energy left for cleaning...so never judge

Heard feedback that volunteers said my house is not clean enough....my mom warned me about shidduchim!

So if you are my neighbor & see that a lady is coming often to my house, don't be jealous on my cleaning help yet.

Besides she's not interested in doing heavy work as she's hha. Before pesach she puts up a fight. She's boss by now, cannot tell her a single thing what & how she should do. Gets moody. Makes her own schedule.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:54 pm
Work 40 hours per week, sometimes more, never had any cleaning help. I have 1 preteen and 2 teens so we’re all responsible for keeping the house, as well as cooking, walking the dogs, etc. I can afford cleaning help and grew up with such but I don’t know. Just never was a priority for me to have.

greengrapes

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
This in out of the house twenty eight hours a week. I won’t live someone alone in my house. Finding help on Sunday is impossible. If someone knows of a cleaner in Brooklyn willing to work on sundays please let me know

Same here. I work 9-3 30 every day. Come home tired beyond. I wld love a cleaning lady but im out all day so I need on friday. Now go fund someone on friday!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 4:08 pm
I work full time and have full time help.
Didn’t see that option on the poll...
She watches my baby and does all the cleaning.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics