Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If there are any KJ moms here, did you see filming for this?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:38 pm
Looks like people were okay with the filmmaker filming in the village?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:50 pm
As if he asked anyone for permission

The 10-20 seconds that you see families walking on the street was done on a shabbos. I can bet he didn't even get out of his car so no one saw him.
Otherwise it would be very obvious and people would've asked him why he is doing it.

The rest of it was done at huge Rebbishe weddings. He didn't have to ask for permission really.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 10:12 pm
Seems like drone footage.
In Williamsburg it's very common to see people filming, especially on shabbos. No one ever says anything to them, it's no big deal.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:

The 10-20 seconds that you see families walking on the street was done on a shabbos. I can bet he didn't even get out of his car so no one saw him.
Otherwise it would be very obvious and people would've asked him why he is doing it.

The rest of it was done at huge Rebbishe weddings. He didn't have to ask for permission really.

There’s a longer trailer, not much longer, I just found that shows him in homes. No faces are shown so I’m assuming they asked for their faces not to be shown but it’s such a small clip that I don’t know. If people in KJ did participate, I think that’s really great. We get so many documentaries of OTD people. It’ll be nice to see a documentary with Chassidim who are happy amd satisfied with their lives.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 10:42 pm
I watched this documentary when it was shown at a film festival. He has interviews with several people in the community, amd footage of them interacting with their families, and was allowed to participate in events in order to get the film done.

The film focuses mainly on the conflict between KJ and its surrounding neighborhoods regarding property and land zoning, but gives some in depth looks at the lives of the people, most of them positive.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 10:56 pm
Maya wrote:
I watched this documentary when it was shown at a film festival. He has interviews with several people in the community, amd footage of them interacting with their families, and was allowed to participate in events in order to get the film done.

The film focuses mainly on the conflict between KJ and its surrounding neighborhoods regarding property and land zoning, but gives some in depth looks at the lives of the people, most of them positive.

Cool! I want to see it. Wish it was on Netflix lol.

zrfm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:14 pm
Which film?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 11:24 pm
zrfm wrote:
Which film?

It’s called City of Joel.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:41 am
amother wrote:

Is there a local law in KJ forbidding photography?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:28 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Is there a local law in KJ forbidding photography?

That would be against the 1st ammendment.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:36 pm
What is the point if this video?
Does it show chassidim in a bad light?
Why did he make reference to crown heights? Nothing to do with satmar in the least bit!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
What is the point if this video?
Does it show chassidim in a bad light?
Why did he make reference to crown heights? Nothing to do with satmar in the least bit!

He became interested in insular Chassidic communities when he moved to Crown Heights.

If you are interested in insular Chassidic communities - and want to learn more - KJ is a good one.

If you make your parnassah as a film producer - you marry your interest (if you are lucky) or what other people are interested in - find a story in it - and make a movie.

His story was 'what happens when this insular community needs more space'.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics