Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
White shirt help

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:14 pm
Anyone with a foolproof 'recipe" how to get rid of those black color and cuff stains? I've tried almost every product. I do not have time or koach to scrub down each shirt.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:23 pm
The truth is that it takes time and effort.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:27 pm
Following

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:30 pm
I don’t spend much time and our white shirts come out clean. (But need time to iron... even wrinkle free shirts come out wrinkled!)

Here’s what I do:

For heavy stains pour Palmolive dish soap directly on stain. Rub a little and let sit for a while.
Only wash whites in this load.
Fill up machine with hot water. Use the most water possible even if just a few shirts.
Add a generous amount of good detergent and a cup of bleach.
Now add the white shirts.
This works for me.
Let me know if it worked for you too.

Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The truth is that it takes time and effort.

This.
I use nature bright and make a paste with boiling water. I pour onto the area (once a week I do all the shirts together) and let it sit for a while before putting thru a wash cycle. Rubbing Murphy onto it is also great, but even more difficult and time consuming and the following week I always wonder why I do it. Some people spray shout but for me I never saw it help completely.

Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t spend much time and our white shirts come out clean. (But need time to iron... even wrinkle free shirts come out wrinkled!)

Here’s what I do:

For heavy stains pour Palmolive dish soap directly on stain. Rub a little and let sit for a while.
Only wash whites in this load.
Fill up machine with hot water. Use the most water possible even if just a few shirts.
Add a generous amount of good detergent and a cup of bleach.
Now add the white shirts.
This works for me.
Let me know if it worked for you too.

Palm olive and Murphy are both great for tough stains.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:50 pm
I'm in Israel, find the kalia whitening powder works great. 60 degree cycle, detergent+ scoop of the powder and my shirts all come out completely white unless there's a serious stain if some sort

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:58 pm
I don't have time or patience to physically scrub 40 white shirts a week . I spray the collar band and the inside of the cuffs (where the black/grey stains are) with OxiClean spray. Sometimes I let it sit for a few hours other times there isn't enough time . I wash the white shirts in its own load , using detergent that has oxi clean in it as well, with a capful of bleach and some fabric softener. Wash on "White/Whites" , it's an hour or so cycle and then I remove promptly and I do NOT dry them in the dryer. Drying them in the dryer will set the stains in if they remain and it's non reversible at that point. Hang shirts to dry. I don't iron shirts. Anyone that needs an ironed shirt in my house irons it themselves right before they put it on.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:16 pm
Remember that HE machines cannot handle dish soap suds which can cause serious issues, so always wash out the dish soap completely completely before placing in the machine.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:36 pm
Marigold wrote:
Palm olive and Murphy are both great for tough stains.

Murphy oil soap? I’d never think to do that...

Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:13 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Murphy oil soap? I’d never think to do that...

Yes. You’d be surprised at how well it works on stained, light clothing. I use it all the time.

aliavi

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:24 pm
I pretreat with spray and then use peroxide in the wash instead of bleach on warm water.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:26 pm
My mother used Lestoil on the Black of the shirts but she spent time scrubbing and soaking.

salt

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:20 am
WastingTime wrote:
I'm in Israel, find the kalia whitening powder works great. 60 degree cycle, detergent+ scoop of the powder and my shirts all come out completely white unless there's a serious stain if some sort

Does 60 really do a better job at whitening than 40?
Do the shirts come out more creased?
I'll try if if you say it makes a difference. I always thought that's way too hot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry