Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Shabbos table discussion

avi0903

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:19 pm
I wasn’t sure where to put this, and in the end I thought “interesting “ will hopefully prove to be correct.

When we go out for Shabbos meals, or have company, our Shabbos meals are fun, long, and I think they create positive memories and associations for my kids.

Now during the cold months, we stay in a lot more, and our meals are fine, but short. Parsha sheets, dvar Torah, some songs, done!! I’m slightly exaggerating, but not by much.

Our kids range from elementary through high school, and it’s hard to keep them all engaged. They like and are interested in different things.

What do you all do to keep the Shabbos table lively? What are good discussion topics? Thanks!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:24 pm
Current events (Jewish and secular), sports, a nice story prepared in advance, what's going on in their lives and at school, an interesting halachic question, parsha riddles, etc.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:41 pm
Prepare stories of Tzaddikim in advance, everyone (including DH) gets a chance to read a story.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:42 pm
doctorima wrote:
Current events (Jewish and secular), sports, a nice story prepared in advance, what's going on in their lives and at school, an interesting halachic question, parsha riddles, etc.

I don’t think sports and secular current events are the right topics for the Shabbos table.

pizza4

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:00 pm
Similar story by me. I feel like its important for the kids that the shabbos table is interesting, but generally ours is whatever dh is into, news, politics and I'm bored stiff. Sometimes I'll read up something on the parsha (though it's often above my kids heads) or halacha and we can have great discussions.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:04 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I don’t think sports and secular current events are the right topics for the Shabbos table.

So don’t talk about them with your family but don’t insult others who disagree.

(Do you really not talk about politics on shabbos?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics