Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The Gift

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:02 am
Did anyone watch "The Gift" by Toby Einhorn and Chavy Klein? I'm so blown away! What a powerful message and so professional and well done!

rd

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:22 pm
Hi Im a bit new here... just re-did my password...
anyway, The Gift is great! the acting is just amazing!
But, the other Mekimi videos are better, in my oppinion. They all made me cry, and for some reason, this one didnt. I couldnt ger over A Matter Of Chance, and the two previous ones were also wonderful, the feelings were more real, or something like that.
does anyone share my oppinion?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 4:07 pm
rd wrote:
Hi Im a bit new here... just re-did my password...
anyway, The Gift is great! the acting is just amazing!
But, the other Mekimi videos are better, in my oppinion. They all made me cry, and for some reason, this one didnt. I couldnt ger over A Matter Of Chance, and the two previous ones were also wonderful, the feelings were more real, or something like that.
does anyone share my oppinion?

This one actually made me laugh, especially when the kids were acting up in class! Adorable! But it was also emotional to watch how she develops relationship w them and Peppy and goes so out of her way for them. I was wondering legally like how she's allowed to spend so much time alone just her and the student and seeing how they become so intimate, with Peppy hugging her and saying I love you. Just seemed like the boundaries were very crossed and ended up how they did, could've been a lot worse. But I'm sure they checked out everything before writing the plot.
I was disappointed to see that some of the actresses aren't frum? I would expect actresses from our circles in such a production.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:26 pm
What is it about? Is it for a 10 year old? Or is it about sickness and death and meant for a more mature audience?

lora

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:37 pm
it was very enjoyable. I loved how its compatible for all ages and yet interesting. its emotional, funny and entertaining.
I do agree Toby's previous films were a tad more... stirring, left more of a long term impact but I was honestly starting to see a pattern in the stories so it was nice to see it change yet retain the great standards

imachossid

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:41 pm
It's a truly touching video, I actually cried in a few parts. I assume there was someone else in the school... Or cameras... It's for a more mature audience, at least teens. The story is about a rich girl whose father died (mother died when she was young) & in his will he said that if she wants to be able to get the business etc she needs to spend a year being a teacher. She was used to not having to lift a finger, & thrown into the hardest class of "challenged" kids. She grows a lot & really helps a girl who had a reading disability who had lost her father, & gets really close to her...

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:55 am
I watched it again last night and here are my comments:
1. It's extremely professional with highly talented actresses. It's so real!
2. It teaches many important life lessons such as money isn't everything, teaching is so valuable, which is really missing in today's world as teaching is becoming more and more out of style.
3. I disapprove strongly of the way Pepi yells at her mother chutzpahdik and then gets her way by running away and having her mother apologize and teacher coming back to her. That's a poor lesson to teach our girls that if you're hurting, you just scream and get your way. Where is respect and derech eretz?
Also, how chutzpahdik and disrespectful the class is to teacher and how the assistant principal yells and reprimands the teacher in front of the class!
This just teaches kids that it's a kids' world out there and adults are secondary.
4. I was sort of hoping Jenna would somehow make up with her sister at the end or give her part of the money, all in good will, even though she was right. Oh well.

All in all, I'm sure lots of work went into this and was very well done.

sarah58

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:18 am
I actually loved it! it made me cry and I dont cry so easily..... very professionally done!

clowny

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
What is it about? Is it for a 10 year old? Or is it about sickness and death and meant for a more mature audience?

My 9 year old really enjoyed it. I think it’s a beautiful film. The only thing that dissapointed me was that Jenna never makes up with her sister. When the movie starts it seems that that is the plot of the story. And then it shifts.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 1:23 pm
I watched it after reading the book. Excellent movie but the book is even better, especially knowing the authors personal story.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:59 pm
Which book is it based on?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:23 pm
I just bought this for my kids. My 11 year old dd became very interested in women’s plays.
As we didn’t watch this yet, I’m hoping that it will be suitable for my older and younger kids.
Glad to see the good reviews here.

Gneshe

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 5:48 pm
I believe it's based on the movie, "The Ultimate Gift".

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:06 am
Gneshe wrote:
I believe it's based on the movie, "The Ultimate Gift".

And before that the book "The Ultimate Gift" by Jim Stovall.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:01 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
This one actually made me laugh, especially when the kids were acting up in class! Adorable! But it was also emotional to watch how she develops relationship w them and Peppy and goes so out of her way for them. I was wondering legally like how she's allowed to spend so much time alone just her and the student and seeing how they become so intimate, with Peppy hugging her and saying I love you. Just seemed like the boundaries were very crossed and ended up how they did, could've been a lot worse. But I'm sure they checked out everything before writing the plot.
I was disappointed to see that some of the actresses aren't frum? I would expect actresses from our circles in such a production.

Reviving the thread because I just watched this. It was amazing but wanted to comment that one of the main actresses is not even Jewish, forget frum!!

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:37 am
How/where can we access it to watch?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics