Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
House too cold, dough not rising TIME SENSITIVE
1  2  Next

Motherhood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:25 pm
So my title says it all. How do I get my challah dough to rise? My oven is on and warming the kitchen a bit, but not enough. My dough usually rises for an hour max, it’s an hour already and it didn’t grow much at all. Any help? TIA

4pom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:31 pm
Im totally not a pro at baking but I would lower oven to 100 or turn off and put dough in to rise once its less than 150. Good luck

Rubber Ducky

Put the bowl in the cabinet above the oven.

studying_torah

Turn off the oven and let the dough rise in there, if the oven is not too hot. A too hot oven is no good for dough rising.
Also, are you sure your yeast was alive ?

lora

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:32 pm
put a wet towel in the microwave for 30 seconds then use it to cover the dough.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:32 pm
Turn the oven down and open the door. Put the covered dough either on a table in front of it or on the door/bottom rack pulled out.

Motherhood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:33 pm
Thanks. I wouldn’t put the dough in the oven yet, cuz it might dry it out and I won’t be able to braid it. I might try putting it in the cabinet above the oven. Thanks again

jewwoman

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:35 pm
Motherhood wrote:
Thanks. I wouldn’t put the dough in the oven yet, cuz it might dry it out and I won’t be able to braid it. I might try putting it in the cabinet above the oven. Thanks again

Turn your oven on the highest for 10/15mins. Then turn it off open the door a crack and let the heat rise. Put ur dough above.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:36 pm
Cover the bowl of dough with a clean kitchen towel and place the bowl on the gas range, which should be quite warm being that your over underneath it is on.

Motherhood

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Cover the bowl of dough with a clean kitchen towel and place the bowl on the gas range, which should be quite warm being that your over underneath it is on.

I just did that. Thanks a lot. Let’s hope it works!

cm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:38 pm
Do you have another oven that you can warm up? Put the dough in there after you turn it off. Similarly, you can use a warning drawer. Is the basement warmer than the kitchen? Set up a table down there. Or maybe put the dough over a pan of water on the blech/electric hot plate.

Some people use an insulated cooler with a light bulb in it for warmth to make yogurt; that would probably work for bread dough as well. You could probably create a warm space with a heating pad as well.

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:45 pm
Put dough in a garbage bag and tie the. Put on top of oven with a dish towel in between oven should be on

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:06 pm
did you proof the yeast? Was it alive?

violet1

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 9:31 am
For next time, you can put a cup of water in the microwave for 5 minutes and then put challah bowl in with a towel over it. I do this every week in the winter and it has never failed.

anotherima

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 9:44 am
meme6 wrote:
Put dough in a garbage bag and tie the. Put on top of oven with a dish towel in between oven should be on

Hi, I once read that is preferable not to put food in garbage bags because they are treated with pesticides and chemicals. Better be safe than sorry.

Learning

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 10:20 am
Make sure the towel that covers the challa bowls is dump

boogiebabe

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 10:31 am
If oven is 180F, you can put dough in the oven 30 min to heat up. It will continue rising even when you take it out of the oven and put it on the counter. Return to warm oven for 2nd rising after the bread is shaped.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:01 pm
the top of the oven is always the warmest place ... you could always put a pot of boiling water up next to the bowl of dough ... just hope the yeast is not a dudd cause an hour is a long time for it not to rise at all

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:15 pm
Microwave in defrost for 2 minutes

piece

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:01 pm
I put a pot of water up to boil & let it simmer while the bowl of dough is right there on the counter near this pot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads