Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Lightweight Dell Laptop or Ipad? Both are similar price.
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:34 pm
librarygirl wrote:
Maybe I'm an old fogey, but typing is so much easier on a laptop with a keyboard than on an ipad. You can buy an external keyboard though.

Its not instead of a laptop, I already have a large laptop thats always in one place, and I want something lightweight for carrying around the house.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
Its not instead of a laptop, I already have a large laptop thats always in one place, and I want something lightweight for carrying around the house.

you are still going to have to type.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
you are still going to have to type.

I had a Dell Venue 8 Tablet (no keyboard) and it was ok for whatever I typed.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Emails, Imamother, Youtube, playing music, shopping sites, mostly.

What am I missing out on, folks?

If this is how you use your device, you will be happier with an iPad as it is a simpler and more comfortable device to do all these activities.

An iPad is a very simple user friendly tool - my 95 year old grandfather enjoyed his immensely and didn't need technical support for it. He also had a nice Apple desktop which he used (although less so as he advanced in years) but I had to provide "technical" support for the computer.

An iPad is lighter and much more comfortable to use if you are not sitting at desk.

I am not a Windows person although I used Windows in work situations. Windows computers are much more complicated to use and maintain than an iPad and for your needs would seem to provide you with no better functionality.

Also (and perhaps I am prejudiced) but I think the iPad is just a better piece of hardware than a cheap Dell laptop.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
Also (and perhaps I am prejudiced) but I think the iPad is just a better piece of hardware than a cheap Dell laptop.

Even a $400 Ipad (cheaper end)?

Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

srbmom

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:34 pm
There are many tablets on the market that are much more affordable than an iPad. Unless you're in need of the Apple apps it may be worthwhile to see what else is out there.
I own a couple of $30 kindles that aside for the app availability work just fine for internet browsing, shopping and email. (Not saying to go with that, just showing you there are other options out there)

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 12:34 am
I have both an iPad and a Chromebook for school. Both are upper end, expensive models but I see I'm in the minority when I say go for the lightweight laptop, not the iPad. As far as coziness, you can flip the Chromebook keyboard underneath so it's the same as the iPad yet still has the keyboard. I hate typing on the iPad, even when I'm just shopping, because of the iPad keyboard, and because it is so much harder to select letters on the iPad when I'm typing emails, even with the stylus. This is all besides for the fact that basic programs like Word and Excel are always getting messed up when I open them on the iPad because they're often incompatible with the Apple equivalents.

I wouldn't take into account syncing with your phone. I never found I needed my Android phone's text messages when I use the iPad and everything else syncs beautifully across the board.

I also wouldn't take data into account, even with the cheaper model, because wifi can be accessed anywhere today. For the few times it can't, your phone can become a hotspot for free with most companies. Verizon and Sprint are both free mobile hotspots.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
Even a $400 Ipad (cheaper end)?

Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

I think the price for an iPad relates to storage capability and whether it is cellular capable and not the quality of the iPad itself.

You can very easily dictate stuff on the iPad so you don't have to use the keyboard for emails and texts.

I'm probably prejudiced but iPad is the best tablet for your purposes as it synchs with your iPhone and provides access to the App Store and other Apple services that are highly functional. It all works well together.

I agree with groisammoa that an iPad (or any tablet) does not have the same functionality as a computer if you are using it for certain purposes. As I wrote upthread, I use my desktop for certain activities that require intensive Word Processing and I also keep everything organized on my computer. I don't use my iPad for Quickbook records; for drafting documents; for storing digital stuff since my computer is a large digital file cabinet in which I keep files that other people keep in paper records.

However for what OP states she wants a device for, the iPad is better suited than any laptop.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:03 pm
So far I see 2 drawbacks for the IPad:

1- I have to buy a case protector

2- Favorites Menu on an Ipad arent as user-friendly as on a laptop.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics