Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dairy & soy free formula
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:49 pm
For a 17 month old.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:56 pm
Neocate Jr., flavored or unflavored, Elecare Jr., Splash EO28

Has this child ever been on an elemental formula before?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:02 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Neocate Jr., flavored or unflavored, Elecare Jr., Splash EO28

Has this child ever been on an elemental formula before?

No. She doesn't have any allergies or gastric issues that would require her to have elemental.
We had her on baby's only but now her nutritionist wants her off dairy (for respiratory sake).
We trialed Kate farm peptide but coincidentally she vomited right after.
I want to keep her off a soy based formula.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
No. She doesn't have any allergies or gastric issues that would require her to have elemental.
We had her on baby's only but now her nutritionist wants her off dairy (for respiratory sake).

These formulas are not that great tasting so it may be difficult to get her to take one if she's never had it before. Probably SPlash is your best bet. What does her nutritionist recommend?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:14 pm
anonymrs wrote:
These formulas are not that great tasting so it may be difficult to get her to take one if she's never had it before. Probably SPlash is your best bet. What does her nutritionist recommend?

She wants her on Kate farm peptide now, but I think she can't handle it. Or a blenderized diet (I can't handle LOL due to time constraints)
We discussed splash a while ago. Don't remember why she didn't want. I'll bring it up again. Taste is not an issue (gt fed).
I think she didn't want because these are really artificial? Iirc, but I may be mixing it up with a different one.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:18 am
My son did well on Elacare and PureAmino- he drank it orally but it was his main source of nutrients for a long time. My youngest is allergic to soy and dairy and drank protein shakes that I watered down with oat milk. Show the nutritionist the nutrition facts/ingredients so he/she can decide how to use it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:38 am
Nutramigen and Alimentum are extensively hydrolyzed and safe for babies with milk and soy allergies. Neocate and EleCare would be the next level up.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:45 am
Another kid was on Peptemen Jr. Its hydrolyzed like Alimentum and Nutramigen and it does contain soy lecithin. Kid couldn't handle dairy without breaking out in hives but she was ok with this. Its a complete formula.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:49 am
Complete is ready blenderized food. http://www.nestlenutritionstor.....17nIU

A friend does a partial blenderized formula and elacare the rest of the time for her child. In the feeding disorder group on Facebook some ladies posted exact recipes if you ever do want to try it. (I totally understand why not)

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:57 am
bnm wrote:
Complete is ready blenderized food. http://www.nestlenutritionstor.....17nIU

A friend does a partial blenderized formula and elacare the rest of the time for her child. In the feeding disorder group on Facebook some ladies posted exact recipes if you ever do want to try it. (I totally understand why not)

thanks. I actually have a sample of complete & nourish at home. the reason we are not trialing it now is because we don't think we'll get insurance to cover it anyhow.
I am going to give the kate farms peptide another go tonight on her next tube feeding & we'll take it from there.
one of the main reasons I don't want doing a homemade blenderized diet (besides the time) is because I often have nurses & I don't want them patchkening in my kitchen when prepping her food & treifing things up.
I remember the peptamin jr from when my sib was on it & I'd rather not go that route (plus we're trying to avoid the dairy, not for allergy reasons so I'm not sure if predigested will help).
I'm going to look into the elecare & nutramigen. nutritionist said no to neocate (for now).

Thanks for the responses! btw, whats the exact name of the Fb group you mentioned?

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:15 am
Pediatric feeding disorders / FTT/ GERD/and kiddos with feeding tubes https://www.facebook.com/group.....ubes/

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:35 am
amother wrote:

Most formula contains dairy or soy. If you want it free of both then its usually elemental. See if you can get a can to trial and if insurance will pay for it. Otherwise google 'soy and dairy free formula' and see what you get. Keep in mind that you can't use infant formula for much longer so trial the JR version.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:01 pm
bnm wrote:
Most formula contains dairy or soy. If you want it free of both then its usually elemental. See if you can get a can to trial and if insurance will pay for it. Otherwise google 'soy and dairy free formula' and see what you get. Keep in mind that you can't use infant formula for much longer so trial the JR version.

Actually, you can use infant formula past a year. You can speak to your nutritionist about mixing it to higher calorie content.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:19 pm
Yes, you can, speak to the nutritionist and all that. We didn't have a good experience doing that- my son reacted badly. The dr gave us a specific ratio and told us to work our way up slowly but he didn't tolerate it. We had to give him clear liquids for a while then start working our way up to regular infant. Our goal had been to increase calories per ounce and it backfired.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
thanks. I actually have a sample of complete & nourish at home. the reason we are not trialing it now is because we don't think we'll get insurance to cover it anyhow.
I am going to give the kate farms peptide another go tonight on her next tube feeding & we'll take it from there.
one of the main reasons I don't want doing a homemade blenderized diet (besides the time) is because I often have nurses & I don't want them patchkening in my kitchen when prepping her food & treifing things up.
I remember the peptamin jr from when my sib was on it & I'd rather not go that route (plus we're trying to avoid the dairy, not for allergy reasons so I'm not sure if predigested will help).
I'm going to look into the elecare & nutramigen. nutritionist said no to neocate (for now).

Thanks for the responses! btw, whats the exact name of the Fb group you mentioned?

BTW if you live in New Jersey, insurance companies including Jersey care are mandated to cover elecare and other formulas for feeding tubes and for babies who cant handle typical formula

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:

BTW if you live in New Jersey, insurance companies including Jersey care are mandated to cover elecare and other formulas for feeding tubes and for babies who cant handle typical formula

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:57 pm
nourish, real food blends (similar to nourish, no clue if kosher) Levana kirschenbaum meal replacement https://www.levanamealreplacement.com/

why does it need to be formula? you need liquid complete nutrition?

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
nourish, real food blends (similar to nourish, no clue if kosher) Levana kirschenbaum meal replacement https://www.levanamealreplacement.com/

why does it need to be formula? you need liquid complete nutrition?

one of the posts mentions the kid is tube fed. I don't think shmooshing chicken down the tube will work.....

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:56 pm
bnm wrote:
one of the posts mentions the kid is tube fed. I don't think shmooshing chicken down the tube will work.....
I figured it was for tube feeding, but wasn't sure. It wasn't in the OP. I'm a tubie mom too.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
I figured it was for tube feeding, but wasn't sure. It wasn't in the OP. I'm a tubie mom too.

thanks for the Levana meal replacement suggestion. I'm going to check if it will work for my kid. Did you ever taste it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics