Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Highlighting dark wig

shepherdess

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:11 pm
Hi! I'm looking to get my dark wig (color #2) highlighted with a lighter color. I'm going for a gentle amount of cool tone blondish highlights (I don't want red or warmer tones). Does anyone know what color I can tell the stylist the highlights should be colored to? I'm looking for numbers if possible. (for example I think with #4 wigs they often highlight to color #8 and 10)
I'm looking to save money on this and they don't speak english well. If it doesn't work out I'll spend more $ and go to regular shaitelmacher.

Pickle1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:45 pm
my color #2 wig has #8 highlights and its gorgeous. I get loads of compliments - it adds just the right amount of blond without making it too blond

shepherdess

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:49 pm
Thank you! sounds beautiful.

bamba

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:08 am
Can you find some pictures of what you want and show them?
Less room for mistakes this way

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:17 am
Just know that you will most likely be wasting a lot of money by trying to go cheap, especially when highlighting. If it doesn't come out good, a color correction will be a lot costlier and many colorists won't even want to touch it.
Besides, with highlighting, if not done properly, it can damage the hair beyond repair.

1Life2Live

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:20 pm
make sure that whoever you bring it to does a strand test. Not all shaitels can be dyed lighter and even when they are they may not be the color you expect. Better to test the hair than end up with an orange shaitel. Speaking from experience.

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 12:31 pm
1Life2Live wrote:
make sure that whoever you bring it to does a strand test. Not all shaitels can be dyed lighter and even when they are they may not be the color you expect. Better to test the hair than end up with an orange shaitel. Speaking from experience.

Especially since she wants cool tones, which are difficult to achieve to begin with since the majority of hair will lighten with some kind of warmth. Also, you may have to tone it here and there to get it to stay cool.

shepherdess

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:03 pm
Hi, thanks for warning me Smile
I am buying an Ali wig for 300 and highlights are $12. It's a risk, but I did my research with ppl who have experience buying from them, and I'm going to take the risk. I can pay $150-$200 for someone just to add highlights and it will probably damage the hair as well. The fact is, bleach wears the hair down right? This way my wig might get more worn out but at least my bank account will still be intact!
I just spent a lot of money dying another wig from an expert and unfortunately am not happy even after taking it back to her. I just can't do that again without seeing if this cheaper option can work.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:08 pm
I color wigs. Some wigs bleach better than others. I have dealt with she shevis that dont bleach at all, and some that do. I've dealt with Irene's where the wefts on the bottom dont bleach, and the ones on top bleach beautifully. Ive dealt with Irene's that bleach really well. I've dealt with shulis where every highlight is a different color, and I've dealt with shulis that bleach beautifully.

It all depends on the wig and how many times it's been processed in the past.

If you're buying new- it's easier to buy a light wig and root+low light it.

shepherdess

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:41 am
Oh interesting - I didn't think of doing that. thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels