Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The shutdown
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:25 am
How are imas doing? Not sure if anyone works for the gov but my understanding (I;'m not American) is food stamps and Section 8 are affected?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:40 am
I was more worried about not getting my tax returns. I have relatives working for the US gov and I think this Friday is their first missed paycheck? Idk.

I also read that a lot of food inspections had to be cancelled but I'm overseas right now. Good luck you guys. Hope they reopen soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com......html

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:55 am
Food stamps have not been affected yet but could be depending on how long the shutdown continues. FDA inspections are affected and 2,500 stores didn’t get their licenses to accept food stamps before the shutdown. Not sure about Section 8.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 4:12 am
The big concern is tax refunds. They are dependent on filing before Jan 15. If there is no one working to accept the fillings, then Trumps new rebates amount to nothing. It’s the low income people who are affected here.

ces

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:50 am
Iymnok wrote:
The big concern is tax refunds. They are dependent on filing before Jan 15. If there is no one working to accept the fillings, then Trumps new rebates amount to nothing. It’s the low income people who are affected here.

Actually, the IRS already said a few days ago that tax refunds would go out and not be affected. And not sure what you mean about needing to file before January 15. That's the deadline for self employed to file fourth quarter taxes but for people who are submitting regular returns the earliest date to file is January 28.

simcha2

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:06 am
My biggest concern is the TSA. Several reasons. Security (of the 4000 people stopped that Trump keeps working 3994 of them were at airports). And just airport security in general.
Two, practical, we are supposed to be flying for yeshiva week.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:40 am
simcha2 wrote:
My biggest concern is the TSA. Several reasons. Security (of the 4000 people stopped that Trump keeps working 3994 of them were at airports). And just airport security in general.
Two, practical, we are supposed to be flying for yeshiva week.

I flew this week. My heart went out to the TSA workers. To have the work without pay is unimaginably awful. They showed their discontent and we tried to express our appreciation and gratitude to them for being there

simcha2

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:44 am
pesek zman wrote:
I flew this week. My heart went out to the TSA workers. To have the work without pay is unimaginably awful. They showed their discontent and we tried to express our appreciation and gratitude to them for being there

The irony of saying the shutdown is for security while not paying the TSA workers is beyond me.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:52 am
My father works for the IRS along with quite a few frum men. They're basically in limbo and have no idea if they'll get back pay for the time they can't work. I know my father filed for unemployment

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:09 am
I'm wondering why border security wasn't a national emergency two years ago when Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. Their priority then was to destroy the ACA (fail) and pass tax cuts for billionaires. Now after 2 years Trump is going to declare a national emergency to get his wall?

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:59 am
There are gemachim giving out 2000 loans for federal workers (you can take out more than one) interest free

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:27 am
It is all so sad that Trump had to manufacture a crisis that so severely impacts people because Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter didn't want him to sign the funding which had been voted by ALL Senators and a majority of the house - this was when both houses of Congress were controlled by Republicans.

It doesn't just impact workers but has a terrible impact on small businesses that rely on workers like restaurant owners.

And now the liar in chief actually had the chutzpah to state that he never claimed Mexico would pay for the wall.

I don't understand how people can so willingly accept lies when there is videotape absolutely refuting what he claims he said or didn't say. As Daniel Moynihan famously said - Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
My father works for the IRS along with quite a few frum men. They're basically in limbo and have no idea if they'll get back pay for the time they can't work. I know my father filed for unemployment

My Dad works for the IRS as well. It is very hard for him having nothing to do all day (his job is his life) and not getting paid. It's tough....

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:32 am
simcha2 wrote:
The irony of saying the shutdown is for security while not paying the TSA workers is beyond me.

Well, they're also not paying ICE or Customs (border patrol). AND you can't check to make sure that new employees are authorized to work in the US.

And the current estimate is that the federal courts can only be kept running one more week.

My assistant's sister and brother in law both work for TSA. They have little savings, and don't know how long they're going to be able to pay rent or feed their kids.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
Well, they're also not paying ICE or Customs (border patrol). AND you can't check to make sure that new employees are authorized to work in the US.

And the current estimate is that the federal courts can only be kept running one more week.

My assistant's sister and brother in law both work for TSA. They have little savings, and don't know how long they're going to be able to pay rent or feed their kids.

As someone posted above there are free loan places willing to help. Many offered my Dad a loan if he needs it. Please tell them to reach out for help

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:47 am
ectomorph wrote:
There are gemachim giving out 2000 loans for federal workers (you can take out more than one) interest free

MAGA

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
As someone posted above there are free loan places willing to help. Many offered my Dad a loan if he needs it. Please tell them to reach out for help

They're Dominican Xtians. Not sure that they would be eligible.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
They're Dominican Xtians. Not sure that they would be eligible.

I wish I can help. Hope this shutdown ends soon. We all read about it in the news but there are real people affected terrible by this.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:24 am
Places were there are many federal workers are offering interest free loans and late tuition.

My brother is going nuts not working. However he assumes he will get back pay like he has in the past. It’s nuts that they have people not work for so long knowing they will pay them anyways...

Btw if you do have friends/family/neighbors who are federal employees you could offer to have them for Shabbos (assuming it’s not too late) in case money is tight.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
I wish I can help. Hope this shutdown ends soon. We all read about it in the news but there are real people affected terrible by this.

SNAP (food stamps) will be funded through February. Section 8 and public funding also runs out in March.

States have picked up the slack on TANF, but no one knows how long that will last.

So the issue is bad now, but could get much worse.

The House has voted to fund and re-open parts of the government. The Senate -- a la Mitch McConnell -- refuses to bring it to a vote on the grounds that Trump won't support it.

Trump refuses to discuss any border security provisions unless the Democrats agree to provide $5 billion for a wall. Why its an emergency now, but not last year, or two years ago, no one can say. But unless Trump is willing to compromise -- and I can't see that happening -- those gemachs better hold on to their money; they're going to need it to feed a lot of hungry kids.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics