Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it legal to charge extra if pay with credit card?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:27 am
I'm so annoyed, I tried a new cleaners and when I picked up and paid with credit card, I saw that it was charged for an extra dollar. I asked the lady about it because I thought maybe she punched the numbers in wrong. She said that she takes extra when paying with credit card because " you know how much it costs me a month to pay credit card processing..." Well, the least she could have done was to tell me before. She lost a customer, not because that dollar is what will make or break it, but because I don't like to deal with these kind of people.
I also wonder if it's even legal

meme6

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:36 am
I have wondered about that also for some reason to me it screams illegal

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:37 am
There was actually a lawsuit about this, and it was dropped this week, I believe it is now legal to charge a surcharge for credit cards

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:38 am
It's complicated as theoretically most credit card companies don't permit it and in some states it may be illegal.

However, it is okay to offer a cash discount even in states where it is illegal to charge a surcharge for credit card use.

So depends on what the store states as policy - stating that they offer x% discount for cash or checks is fine - stating that they charge x% for using a credit card is not okay.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

geshmak

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:40 am
All gas stations have higher rates for credit card purchases.

chatz

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 7:42 am
I haven't googled it but I'm pretty sure it's legal now.

Eta: I googled it and it's legal in 40 out of 50 states but there has to be a sign or some sort of notification.

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:36 am
I live in Israel and was charged an extra 1% on a 3000 shekel purchase!!! Ticked me off but I don't think it's illegal here.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:53 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I live in Israel and was charged an extra 1% on a 3000 shekel purchase!!! Ticked me off but I don't think it's illegal here.

As of Jan 1 you get taxed more or some other knas for paying more than, I think, 1000nis in cash. Credit card processing could be 1%-3%, usually the merchant covers it, or it’s included in the price.

Cheiny

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 5:23 pm
geshmak wrote:
All gas stations have higher rates for credit card purchases.

Not true at all. I regularly use a Mobil station which has one price for both cash and cc’s.

nchr

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:48 pm
I charge 3% for people who pay with credit cards because it costs me 2.85%. I tell them before hand and have them sign a form. My merchant services approved the language on the form and it is legal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics