Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What was your baby's first word?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
Oh, okay...much more normal. My babies were late walkers, but walking with assistance at 10 months isn't crazy. And receptive language (understanding what is said) can definitely be there at that point. By around 11 months my daughter could follow a number of commands like "clap yay" and "touch your nose."

Oh wow. No, my 4-month-talker doesn't do those things. She can wave bye-bye, but that is a skill she just picked up this week, at almost a year. She also just started crawling. (Yes, assisted walking before crawling. She seemed to think crawling wasn't worth the energy...)

I think that ALL kids have some kind of specialty, somewhere, in which they are very advanced. Your child can follow directions to perform actions already. That's awesome!

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:37 am
MILK.

But I've concluded that he might have been saying other things before that, but I just didn't understand. I'm forever hearing babies say "ga koo ga goo da," and the mother telling me how BRILLIANT the child is, speaking in complete sentences. I'm too embarrassed to ask what she said.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:46 am
simba wrote:
I have an “uh-oh” currently! Welcome to the club!

Thanks! Is your child particularly mischievous?

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
I don't want to sound condescending, but 8-9 months is considered young? What is average?

My oldest said MAMA at six months, and now, my "pamper" baby began talking at 4 months.
This baby is almost a year and combines two words at a time, saying, "Nein Mama!" and such. I know that is early, but 8-9 months is more typical for first words, no?

Whenever they start talking though isn't the ikkar, though. They are all yummy and delicious and bring us joy!

Maybe your kids are “gifted”. Or maybe you’re in Lala land. Who knows? 8 months is very young for a first word.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:54 am
14 months "go"
8 months "no"

For 2 of mine
both kids are equally smart afaik

keym

My first two started with Mama, Tata, Shis (shoes) and Baby.
#3 first word was Me Too.
#4 uh oh, Mama, cookie
#5 gimme, nosh, go 'way.

I guess we see the progression of being raised with older siblings and older concepts.

pesek zman

mommy3b2c wrote:
Maybe your kids are “gifted”. Or maybe you’re in Lala land. Who knows? 8 months is very young for a first word.

Mine said ABBA at 7 months. She’s by no means gifted. It was just a sound she made that happened to be a word that we assign meaning to. It wasn’t like she associated it with her father.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
Sounds like you have boys?

Yes Smile
Two boys no girls

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:07 am
pesek zman wrote:
Mine said ABBA at 7 months. She’s by no means gifted. It was just a sound she made that happened to be a word that we assign meaning to. It wasn’t like she associated it with her father.

Then that's not really a word. If a baby says "bababa" to make noises - not a word. If he wants a bottle and says "baba" - that's a word.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:11 am
Abba, Abba and No. You can guess which one gets bossed around the most hahaha.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:14 am
pesek zman wrote:

That makes sense. Abba is a very normal sound for a 7 month old to make. I would even say it’s poswible to have meaning at that point. But at 4 months??

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:27 am
I would have to check the baby book for that. But I do remember my son saying “uch” as his first word.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:31 am
Waaa! (Roar of a stuffed tiger). 9? Months. UmMa = Ima

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 3:58 pm
One of my kids said " Uh Oh" at nine months.

What's amazing is that my six month old is not saying an actual word but she says " Ch" , (a Ches sound) every time I change her diaper . I always say "ich" and stress the "ch" and now she does it on her own without me saying it. My DH changed her today and she did the same thing. It's adorable. She totally understands that this sound goes with diaper changing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:03 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

eschaya

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:17 pm
My current baby's first word was "dy-dy" for bye-bye. He uses it both when others are leaving ("say bye-bye" and wave) as well as to express a desire to go outside. He said it around 9 months. At 11 months he now says mama, tatty, nonono (no), yah (yes) and bati (bottle).

Embarrassingly, I dont really remember what words my other kids said first. Mama, tatty, bird and ball were definitely among the mix.

gibberish

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:18 pm
One of my kids first word was "please." Another was "cup" and the other was "uh oh."
I think for all "mommy " was the second or third word.

dovebird

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:40 pm
My baby’s first words were “baba, mama, and ball” not sure which order Smile but after that was hi!

simba

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! Is your child particularly mischievous?

Yes she is! Very cheeky and looking for trouble full time!
My delicate girl after 2 boys and she is far more advanced in that dept then her 2 big brothers!
So much fun!

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:58 pm
My siblings still talk about my 3 first words.
Hatz (heart) tzitta (terrified) moima (moira-afraid)
Joke is, I'm actually a pretty brave person. if-I-may-say-so-myslef. Lol

My oldest had the typical first words. Tata. Mama, yummy, k, Zach (gitta zach - goody. Yeah she has a terrible sweet tooth.) Alein (alone- she wants to do it herself) and cozy. She's a very cozy kid.

She was a very communicative kid. And insanely reasonable. Like you could bargain with her from when she was about 18 months. I so took it for granted until I started seeing 3 year old kids who you couldn't bargain or make a deal with.... shes my oldest so whatever she did was normal.

She also could wink with one eye on demand when she was around 7 months. Also at the time I never realized it's extraordinary. My now 3 year old still has trouble with it. Lol.

My second's first was "uh-oh!" Then "wow" "yay" "ahuh!"
At 3, my life with her is still going from one "uh-oh" to the next.
Constant mischief, constant movement, constant chaos and destruction. nonstop. Banging head Can't Believe It LOL

At 24 months she had a vocabulary of maybe 10 words and we got her speech therapy. Now at 3, some days, with all her action, she just won't shut up either. Hiding Can't Believe It
Good thing I love her!

I always say hashem knows which kids he makes extra special cute..... the more trouble they give you the cuter they are.
If you see a really cute kid in the street, pity the mother! The other day, she came into my bed early morning and told me my mouth smells. I told her it's the am, teeth unbrushed and hers does too, she tried smelling herslef. Didn't work, she put her open mouth over my nose tells me to take a whiff. LOL LOL LOL my husband was Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics