Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos In Houston

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 2:24 pm
I am thinking of going with my family on vacation to Houston and we willl be there over Shabbos. The only area I see walkable to shul is in a Uptown Houston. What kind of neighborhood is it?
I don’t want to book my airline tickets until I know my Shabbos plans are set.

mfhr

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:15 pm
I know we went off shabbos stayed in the st Regis and walked to Chabad was like a 12 minute walk but seemed perfectly safe

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:35 pm
mfhr wrote:
I know we went off shabbos stayed in the st Regis and walked to Chabad was like a 12 minute walk but seemed perfectly safe

Was the area residential or commercial?

aliavi

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:01 am
I’ve stayed by the Young Israel in Houston. It was a great community. There’s lots of kosher options considering the size, including kosher vegetarian and a kosher steakhouse.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:21 am
aliavi wrote:
I’ve stayed by the Young Israel in Houston. It was a great community. There’s lots of kosher options considering the size, including kosher vegetarian and a kosher steakhouse.

Did you stay in a hotel on Shabbos?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:41 am
call the chabad there and ask them they will know best

sra

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 9:29 am
I used to live there. Young Israel and Chabad both have very nice families//communities

aliavi

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
Did you stay in a hotel on Shabbos?

No. A family hosted. I don’t recall there being a hotel close.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:16 pm
We spent a lovely Shabbos there with a family who lived near the Young Israel. We have friends there who helped with the arrangements, but it couldn't hurt to try calling the shul and asking if there are hotels in the area, or if they can help connect you with a family in the community that could host you. You can also check Shabbat.com and try to find local families to reach out to that way.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:26 pm
doctorima wrote:
We spent a lovely Shabbos there with a family who lived near the Young Israel. We have friends there who helped with the arrangements, but it couldn't hurt to try calling the shul and asking if there are hotels in the area, or if they can help connect you with a family in the community that could host you. You can also check Shabbat.com and try to find local families to reach out to that way.

Thank you! There is no hotel near the Young Israel. I spoke to them. We don’t feel comfortable being hosted since we are going for vacation.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:26 pm
Check VRBO and AirBNB (if you're comfortable using them after their West Bank boycott) for rentals located near the shul.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:32 pm
Quote:
Check VRBO and AirBNB (if you're comfortable using them after their West Bank boycott) for rentals located near the shul.

I would strongly suggest you don't do this. Aside for the immediate neighborhood where the shul is, the surrounding areas are very low class and unsafe.
You can either stay at a family (ppl on vacation come here all the time and do such a thing)
Or stay uptown and daven at Chabad (this is not the main Chabad shul, so I'm not even sure they have a minyan each week. Call before)

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

I would strongly suggest you don't do this. Aside for the immediate neighborhood where the shul is, the surrounding areas are very low class and unsafe.
You can either stay at a family (ppl on vacation come here all the time and do such a thing)
Or stay uptown and daven at Chabad (this is not the main Chabad shul, so I'm not even sure they have a minyan each week. Call before)

What kind of area is the uptown Chabad in? There are several hotels in the area

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:10 pm
Uptown is a very upscale neighborhood. Lots of office buildings with a mix of high end shops and apartments/condos - so not as much of a residential feel. Perfectly safe to walk around there though. (Probably won't be a very shabbosdik feel if you care about that.)
But again, it's a Chabad house, not the actual Chabad community. So call ahead and ask what they offer for Shabbos

aliavi

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! There is no hotel near the Young Israel. I spoke to them. We don’t feel comfortable being hosted since we are going for vacation.

Could you stay by a hotel during the week and then just stay by a family one overnight for Shabbos?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics