Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Little kids and dirty walls

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:24 pm
Do you have this problem as well?
My walls are painted in different colors, with normal paint (sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore), by an experienced painter. However they are not one bit washable. Handprints, food spills (from an enthusiastic baby), black marks from guests' suitcases being Carried upstairs... if I try to wash it off using a magic eraser or a damp cloth, an ugly water stain is left behind.
Is this just my reality?
I can't really afford to reprint every year or even every three years!
I have rules about being careful near the walls but all it takes is one mistake, or one friend... and the handprint is stuck on the wall!
I asked my painter for advice but all he said was "you don't live in a museum."

asmileaday

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:28 pm
I make sure to have my walls painted with a satin or semi gloss finish. I don't care what the official rules are, I need my walls washable!
I do satin for the entire house and semi gloss for the kitchen.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:35 pm
Good quality semi gloss in the kitchen and high traffic areas like hallways.
With standard high quality eggshell finish it's hard to keep clean but classic Fantastik really is the way to go.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Good quality semi gloss in the kitchen and high traffic areas like hallways.
With standard high quality eggshell finish it's hard to keep clean but classic Fantastik really is the way to go.

How do you use the fantastik?

Marigold

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:47 pm
Currently most painters use water paint since the flat look is what’s ‘in’ and also because it is simply easier to work with. Even with pearl finish, black fingerprints and stains are hard to remove, and when you do finally get it off, the downside is there’s definitely going to be a mark there.

Oil paint however is way more practical and protects the wall from scratches. It will also wash much better and and with satin finish and a good painter it can be pretty too.
When I moved I opted to to the high traffic area in oil and I’m ever so glad I did. Tip: Windex sprayed directly on a wet rag that’s been dipped in water with Murphy works wonders for me.

solo

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:53 pm
For high traffic areas (behind the kitchen table, up the stairs) I use a steam cleaner and then dry in a circular motion with a cloth. For tough stains I use magic eraser followed by steam cleaner

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
How do you use the fantastik?

Spray on dirty spot and have soft cloth ready to wipe right away. Don't let it sit.

nanny24/7

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:03 pm
When my little one colored on the walls with crayons soft scrub took it off. With a lot of scrubbing. I don't remember exactly how I used it but it worked.

Marigold

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Spray on dirty spot and have soft cloth ready to wipe right away. Don't let it sit.

Doesn’t it remove some of the paint? I use Murphy/windex or lestoil. It would never dawn upon me to use fantastik.
Interesting.

Last edited by Marigold on Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:10 pm
Marigold wrote:
Doesn’t it remove some of the paint? I use Murphy/windex or lestoil. It worth never dawn upon me to use fantastik.
Interesting.

Nope. Spray and wipe immediately on spot. Recommended by painter. Windex can remove some of the paint though.

Marigold

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 9:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Nope. Spray and wipe immediately on spot. Recommended by painter. Windex can remove some of the paint though.

I know. And soft scrub and the magic eraser is even worse. Will most def try this one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics