Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Mediterranean Diet- Help me stay accountable!
1  2  3  4  Next

rachel0615

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 3:42 pm
I am starting a Mediterranean Diet- My dr recommended I take it to help with my fatty liver and also to help me lose weight in general.

Mediterranean Diet as far as I understands includes who grains, simple carbs, lean proteins, nuts, extra virgin olive oil and all fruits and veggies. I will still be having coffee with creamer and peanut butter in limited quantities. I had a baby in Sept and since highest in pregnancy have lost about 40 pounds- I am currently just about where I was when I got pregnant- a few pounds less.

I will be writing what I eat each day. PLEASE PLEASE comment, ask questions to help me stay accountable!

B- coffee with creamer

Brunch- salad with sweet potatoes, quinia, salmon and dates

Dinner- chicken and rice with roasted veggies

Snack- apple with tablespoon of peanut butter and tea

And lots and lots of water!!!!

rachel0615

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:21 pm
Didnt keep to the posting every day. Oops!!

Today I ate....

B- coffee with creamer and milk

L- Turkey burgers, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies. Also had half an avocado - yum!!!!- and a little bit of a chickpea spinach dip with a slice of challa

D- whole wheat toast with 2 tablespoons peanut butter and a banana on top. Yum! Also had some delicious trail mix.

Still working on the water....

Last week I managed to lose 5 pounds and I am feeling really REALLY good. Lets see what this week brings!

Cheshire cat

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 11:07 pm
Hi rachel065.
Please keep posting! I'm trying to dredge up the motivation to start the Mediterranean diet. Your lunches make my mouth water!
I will bookmark this thread, and hopefully, will join soon

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:25 am
Double yum!
Any chance you could provide the recipes for the chickpea -spinach dip and the turkey burgers?
Keep up the great work!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:37 am
This sounds great!
Can you post the philosophy behind the Mediterranean diet and what you could eat etc?
Sounds so doable!

rdmom

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:22 am
I am helping my husband with this.

Lots of fish. All kinds of fish.
I make lots of chumus. Everybody loved it
Artichoke dip.
Veggies
Oatmeal.
Farro
Will try to think of more

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:46 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Double yum!
Any chance you could provide the recipes for the chickpea -spinach dip and the turkey burgers?
Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

Spinach chickpea dip- blend a can of chickpeas. Add in some spinach, 2 tbspn olive oil, water, onion and garlic powder, salt and blend. I added some sauteed onions at the end but just mixed it together, didnt blend.

Turkey burgers- mix together 2 pounds ground turkey, 2 eggs, onion and garlic powder, curry powder and salt. Form patties and bake.

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:49 am
familyfirst wrote:
This sounds great!
Can you post the philosophy behind the Mediterranean diet and what you could eat etc?
Sounds so doable!

I would LOVE to! I have gotten super into it and love talking about it lol. My husband can only stand so much hearing about it. Basically it encourages eating lean proteins, ie chicken, fish, turkey and fatty proteins rarely. All whole grains and plain oatmeal allowed. For fats, they encourage having olive oil as your fat. Fruits and vegetables are very encouraged. Basically your meals are susposed to consist of lots of fruits and veggies, a lean protein and a source of carb from a whole grain or starchy vegetable. And lots of water. The idea behind it is that people in the middle east generally eat like this and stick to more natural types of foods with little chemicals. Their dishes let the ingredients and spices take center stage. They dont put tons of mayo, breadcrumbs, sugary sauces in etc. Let me know if you have any more questions!!

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:55 am
Plan for today!

B- 2 slices whole wheat bread, 2 tbspn almond butter and banana on top, coffee and creamer

S- fruit spinach smoothie

L- salad with avocado and turkey burger

D- Rosemary chicken, brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted veggies- yay for shabbos leftovers!!

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 9:46 am
In joy of kosher.com Jamie Geller has a great recipe for a bean dish. Called Spanish navy beans. So easy and delicious, and is perfect for this diet. Just, beans need to soak overnight.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:29 am
Wow!
How much weight do you lose in this per week?
It's such healthy eating!

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:38 am
So I have only been doing it for a little over a week. I lost 5 pounds so far. However, I am also tracking my calories. If you simply follow the diet but dont track calories, you might not lose weight but health will improve. (ie im eating this way bc I have non alcoholic fatty liver disorder and this diet is proven to be helpful with liver and heart health.) It has also made my IBS waaaay better than it has been in a long time. By following the diet and tracking my calories it has been SUPER doable. I have done low carb and I like this way much better bc I can still totally enjoy carbs and fruit and smoothies and all that. And really, I feel great which is such a bracha in itself.

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:15 pm
Can you explain "tracking my calories"? Is there a specific book or protocol that you follow? I can see myself overeating on this diet, and I did not come across any info on portion size, number of meals and snacks per day, etc.
You're doing great, so far! Keep it up!

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 7:35 pm
rachel0615 wrote:
I am starting a Mediterranean Diet- My dr recommended I take it to help with my fatty liver and also to help me lose weight in general.

Mediterranean Diet as far as I understands includes who grains, simple carbs, lean proteins, nuts, extra virgin olive oil and all fruits and veggies. I will still be having coffee with creamer and peanut butter in limited quantities. I had a baby in Sept and since highest in pregnancy have lost about 40 pounds- I am currently just about where I was when I got pregnant- a few pounds less.

I will be writing what I eat each day. PLEASE PLEASE comment, ask questions to help me stay accountable!

B- coffee with creamer

Brunch- salad with sweet potatoes, quinia, salmon and dates

Dinner- chicken and rice with roasted veggies

Snack- apple with tablespoon of peanut butter and tea

And lots and lots of water!!!!

I can tell you right now you’re setting yourself up for failure right off the bat. You’re not eating enough, and that will surely trip you up very soon. There’s no way to maintain such a sparse diet, you’ll end up feeling starved and deprived and will inevitably go off the diet. Make sure to eat more, and eat every 4 hours.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 7:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I can tell you right now you’re setting yourself up for failure right off the bat. You’re not eating enough, and that will surely trip you up very soon. There’s no way to maintain such a sparse diet, you’ll end up feeling starved and deprived and will inevitably go off the diet. Make sure to eat more, and eat every 4 hours.

Sounds like plenty enough to me. Most diets are way less food.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Op doesn't write serving sizes. Why are you assuming she isn't eating enough? For all you know she eats more calories in a day than you do.

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 9:25 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Can you explain "tracking my calories"? Is there a specific book or protocol that you follow? I can see myself overeating on this diet, and I did not come across any info on portion size, number of meals and snacks per day, etc.
You're doing great, so far! Keep it up!

My dr told me to eat around 1500 calories a day. I track it on an app called "lose it". The app is great bc I also track my weight and water every day.

rachel0615

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 9:27 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Thanks for your comment. That day was a "less food" day but I really wasnt so hungry. Happens occasionally. As you can see, most of my days have a lot more food Smile

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:07 am
Have you read VB6 by Mark Bittman? If you do, let us know what you think about it.

rachel0615

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:57 am
Today's plan :-)

B- coffee with my precious 5 tbspn creamer and milk. Overnight oats (didnt come out so yummy.)

Lunch- salad with avocado and turkey burger cut up

S-apple

D- balsalmic meditiranian salmon with avocado salads, roasted sweer potatoes and cauliflower popcorn

S- chocolate peanut butter trail.mix Heart Heart
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise