Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
2 questions- treating ear infection and vaccination

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:27 am
My 7 month old had a double ear infection that needed two different medicines to make it get better. Since he stopped last Monday he’s been pulling mostly at one ear but now at the other as well. I went to the doctor on Friday and he said his ear is a little red but to leave it. So my first question is if a baby is pulling at his ears for a week does it make sense to ignore it? If it will get better on its own wouldn’t we see improvement already?

Also he was sick since 6 months and didn’t get the 6 month shots yet. His doctor wants to give it now but I’m nervous to give it when his ears are bothering him and he has a runny nose. What would you do?

FTM here so I have no frame of reference...

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:30 am
At a health food store you should be able to get garlic-mullein ear drops. They soothe the pain.
No idea about the shots.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:32 am
My 7 month old had a well visit on Friday. She has a terrible cold (for the past month) and her ears are filled with fluid/mildly infected. I gave her the 6 month shots. She had fever maybe Fri night/shabbos morn and is perfectly happy now.
I wanted to get in her pertussis (whooping cough) shot since pertussis is going around now, as well as her flu shot. I'm glad I got it over with.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:33 am
My pediatrician won't give shots it the child isn't healthy at the well visit- she tells us to schedule shots for two weeks from then to give time to get back to themselves.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:34 am
See what you can do to prevent it from turning into another ear infection. It can happen overnight if fluid sits. Lymnok is right - go to a health food store. It will help your baby feel better, prevent the infection, and as a bonus once he's well, he'll be able to get his vaccinations which will keep him safe from other germs.
Refuah Shelaima!

happymom123

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:45 am
I wouldn't give the vaccines til he's feeling better. Garlic oil works wonders on eat infections so once that's cleared up you can take him back for shots

Harried mama

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:51 am
Doctors aren't usually concerned about giving vaccines when babies have colds and runny noses. With my older kids, I went along with them, but with my younger ones I prefer to wait until they're 100% healthy. Not sure why, just my feeling.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:55 am
Harried mama wrote:
Doctors aren't usually concerned about giving vaccines when babies have colds and runny noses. With my older kids, I went along with them, but with my younger ones I prefer to wait until they're 100% healthy. Not sure why, just my feeling.

I feel like I’ll wait all winter then because he’s been sick/runny nose/pulling at ears for so long. He’s at a babysitter and being exposed to all kinds of germs so I feel like I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
I feel like I’ll wait all winter then because he’s been sick/runny nose/pulling at ears for so long. He’s at a babysitter and being exposed to all kinds of germs so I feel like I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

Which is why I gave my 7 month old her shots. She's had a cold all winter, and is exposed to so many germs at the babysitter. I say just go for it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
Which is why I gave my 7 month old her shots. She's had a cold all winter, and is exposed to so many germs at the babysitter. I say just go for it.
isn’t there a risk of an adverse reaction if their immune system is low already?

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:18 am
My doctor will not vaccinate if the child is even a little sick.

happymom123

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
isn’t there a risk of an adverse reaction if their immune system is low already?

Yes, that's why many doctors will recommend waiting. You can ask the doctor for a recommendation of how to boost your baby's immune system.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:30 am
Zehava wrote:

I seriously think I need a new doctor.

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:51 am
If your child has a mild illness vaccination is fine. Mild illness can include things like eat infections and flu b. Usually vaccines are postponed with Moderate illnesses which include influenza b so some doctors just postpone all together because determining if the illness is mild or moderate may take time and require laboratory testing. Moreover, vaccines are not delayed with moderate illnesses because of "danger" but rather because your child's immune system is busy fighting their cold, flu, etc. and may not respond strongly enough to the vaccine which would leave then susceptible to that particular vaccine preventable illness later on. Just discuss it with your doctor. I've given my kids vaccines when they have colds, especially if they are young and I want them protected against pertussis, etc.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:

Not at all. A cold does not mean her immune system is low.

The risk/benefit of delaying her vaccines and good forbid getting pertussis or meningitis is much worse than giving her vaccines when she has a cold.

Don't forget OP wrote her child is at a babysitter and exposed to many potentially dangerous things.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:02 pm
Zehava wrote:

Sorry to tell you, buy a cold does not equal sick. Yes, a raging ear infection, an illness with fever, etc, should cause shots to be delayed. But not a cold. Many kids have a cold all winter long.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry to tell you, buy a cold does not equal sick. Yes, a raging ear infection, an illness with fever, etc, should cause shots to be delayed. But not a cold. Many kids have a cold all winter long.
my baby just got over a raging double ear infection and he’s still pulling at both ears. His doctor still wants to give shots but I’m nervous to give it when he’s just been sick and still isn’t clear.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I seriously think I need a new doctor.

Your doctor is following standard protocol.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:

A child with a cold is sick with a virus. This is something the immune system is actively fighting. Having a cold all winter long is an abnormal situation. Perhaps your medical training or experience has been different from that of my pediatrician.

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
my baby just got over a raging double ear infection and he’s still pulling at both ears. His doctor still wants to give shots but I’m nervous to give it when he’s just been sick and still isn’t clear.

You can wait. I probably wouldn't because I dont consider ear infections to be a moderate illness (and would ask my dr his opinion) but you can. Also, consider your child's likelihood of coming into contact with diseases like pertussis and measles. Is he in day care? Is he home all day? Are you vaccinated? Do you stay home? Has your children already received all of his pertussis vaccines? There are so many factors that fit into the equation of making a decision that you and doctor know better than anyone on this forum.

On another note, is your child nursing or being fed with a bottle while laying down? You want to try to do what you can to eliminate the ear infections and keep them away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics