Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Research on Move

positivity

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:33 pm
We're looking to move to a smaller community, I'm wondering how you do research on communities. How do we find out what we want to know about communities.
I don't know where to start, who to reach out to etc.
How do we go about doing so when we don't know anyone living in the communities?

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:38 pm
post here Smile that's what we did and we ended up moving to a community where I didn't know anyone IRL before imamother. You can start by looking through other threads looking for a community and see if any of the communities mentioned sound interesting.

Hatzlacha!

p.s. I don't know if I should be a debbie downer but we moved to a smaller community because we wanted to be part of something and lets just say my dh got involved and left a number of things in the community. Small communities often have "politics" and if you don't don't do well with politics it can be an issue. You take yourself wherever you go. I'm overall happy where we are but the fact that it's smaller doesn't mean that there are no issues. Don't want you to be dissapointed.

thegiver

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:39 pm
How small?

flowerpower

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:46 pm
I heard Houston is nice.

You can go for Shabbos to check it out.

OutATowner

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 11:00 pm
Are you looking for something specific? How small?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:56 am
Post specifics of what is making you consider the move, what you need and prefer in a community, etc. you will get better responses here.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 7:20 am
Post specifics.

If your community has an option to be hosted do that. We never had the idea or opportunity though and we found right

positivity

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:32 am
Thanks all.

We have several options on the table now.
We're looking into different Florida communities, however their so many and I'm not sure where we start or how we figure out which one is best for us. We want something OOT, without the NY or NJ mentality and chinuch.
We're not looking for a community with 50-100 people, something a little larger than that. (Maybe a community that even has a kosher restaurant or two)
We are focusing on bigger cities since we feel career wise it would be easier.

Houston is how big of a community?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:47 am
Houston does definitely sound like it might work. The Young Israel community is a pretty warm OOT community with probably around 200 families. The elementary school through 8th grade has over 300 kids and growing. Good job market, big city amenities and pretty nice selection of food and restaurants for an OOT city.
Housing has definitely gotten more expensive as it's become a pretty popular place to move in the past couple of years. But still cheaper than many other places.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:50 am
To state the obvious - make sure that you can get jobs in your fields before committing. Not every industry has openings in every area.

etr

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:06 am
Consider orlando. Economy is booming. Kosher restaurants. Small classes and a very accepting OOT community

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:12 am
I live in Cleveland. Feel free to ask me any questions. If you are looking for jobs in the medical field, it’s a good place to live.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:30 pm
For Florida, Orlando is a good option. Easy to get to, plenty of jobs, reasonable housing, and plenty of people. My sister was there for years. Northern Palm Beach County has some good spots too. In general, Florida is nice in that there are many yidden on their own paths but strong identity, which is different than most OOT communities I’ve seen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating