Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
So many probems, but I cannot close my mouth

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 4:07 am
Cholesterol on meds.
High BP on.meds
Taquiardia.
Fatty liver.'
Benign lesions on.both sides of liver.
Strong family history of diabetis.
I gained 10 lb in a year instead of starting to lose the 35 I was already overweight..now I need to lose 45.
Help.
Contrave stopped working.
Im a month on belviq. Not heping. I am an was lazy.
I eat from.
emotion stress and as a social activity. I take big portions.

momomany

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:20 am
you are not lazy. you are describing addictive behavior.
an addict cannot stop.engaging in destructive behavior even when they logically know how it is hurting them.

OA is a program for food addicts. There is no judgement... you are not lazy. You need treatment for addiction.

disclaimer: I have been on Greysheet (a version of OA) for 14.5 years. I maintain a weight loss of 80-90 lbs.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:25 am
I feel you, I'm the same. Every doctor I go to tells me to lose weight. It's been like this all my life. Instead of losing weight, I gain weight Everytime. I'm ashamed to go to the doctor because they will put me on a scale. I don't even look down.. but I have to buy new clothes so I know I gained weight. Still, I can't stop eating, cake, pasta, pizza in huge portions. My biggest wish is, to eat normally.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:42 am
Op I think more people than you realize are in the same boat.
It’s so difficult!

I will be following this thread but I doubt something will come up that I haven’t yet heard of.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 7:06 am
My food relationship is not as rocky as yours, so this may not be helpful at all.

My guess is that it is most probably it is the negative talk in your head that is causing the weight gain.

I know of two methods to turn that off:

One is to switch your mental track from "I need to lose weight" (which is an overwhelming and loaded concept) to something like "I am going to make a better food choice now."

Making a better food choice does not have to include calorie counts (it shouldn't). It doesn't mean abstinence or diets or calculations.

A better food choice means "I will eat the pizza instead of the pretzels because I will feel fuller."
A better food choice means "I will drink water now because I am thirsty, and then I will eat the lasagna."
A better food choice means "I will eat the avocado salad instead of the crackers because it is healthier."
A better food choice means "I will make the macaroni and cheese with whole wheat pasta because it is better for me."
A better food choice means "I will taste each of the desserts and see which one I like instead of forcing myself to take only a few but finish them all."

It means paying attention to what you want to eat and then taking control by making a better (not "right") choice.

The good part when you're making better food choices is that you benefit even if you don't lose weight. A diet is painful and only useful if you lose and don't yo-yo it right back on.

A better food choice is beneficial right away.

If that doesn't speak to you, you may prefer the intuitive eating method.

Basically, you stop the judgment of what and when and why and how much you eat. Eat what you want, when you want, and stop piling on blame and self-recriminations when you eat. Don't try to eat low-fat, don't force yourself to eat salad.

Once you have learned to eat without punishing yourself emotionally, you can move on to phase two, which is asking yourself if this is what you really want to eat now. If the answer is yes, eat and enjoy! If the answer is no, ask yourself what (or if) you really DO want to eat right now.

Like: You think you want cake. Maybe you really would rather have French toast, or blueberry pancakes?

I also will say that it is a good idea to find some type of physical activity that you ENJOY, again not to lose weight, but because it will give you more energy. Think about rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, roller skating, dancing, stretches, walking by the beach, playing catch, juggling, or swimming.

Stuff like limiting portion size is only helpful if you can do it without self blame. If you can, tell yourself "I will take this much now, eat it slowly and enjoy it without guilt, and go back for more as many times as I want to." If that triggers bad feelings, it's better to take the bigger portion until you can learn to be nicer to yourself.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 7:29 am
please ginger disclose who you are. that was up there with the best advice I have ever seen on this topic. thank you.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 7:41 am
Start by doing just one thing- cut out added sugar. The sugar is feeding bad bacteria in the gut which are actually hijacking your cravings so that it can continue to grow and thrive! If you eliminate added sugar those bad bacteria will start to die off and your cravings will start to change. Do not replace the sugar with synthetic sugar substitutes (Splenda, aspartame, etc) because those are even worse to the body than the sugar. The first week will be the hardest because the bacteria will literally be begging you to feed it and you will have very strong cravings. But if you can get past that limited time, it will get so much easier when they die.

Once you do that everything else will become easier because your cravings won’t be strong.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:10 am
Ill start with no sugar no yeast no milk because I was already told to do once 20 years ago by a health naturalist something. And 2 years ago I was told by an MD to eat gluten only shabbes. And he tested me for lactose and I am intolerant. So Ill remove sugar since you recomended and remove yeast for a while because Ill stick to oat matza only and only on shabbes and Ill continue without milk. Ill push to go swimming.

When I say lazy I mean lazy to do physical activity. Including housework and sport

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:27 am
So maybe probiotics will also help?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
Ill start with no sugar no yeast no milk because I was already told to do once 20 years ago by a health naturalist something. And 2 years ago I was told by an MD to eat gluten only shabbes. And he tested me for lactose and I am intolerant. So Ill remove sugar since you recomended and remove yeast for a while because Ill stick to oat matza only and only on shabbes and Ill continue without milk. Ill push to go swimming.

When I say lazy I mean lazy to do physical activity. Including housework and sport

Sounds like a great plan! Cutting out dairy will definitely help too especially if you’re lactose intolerant!

Also the “laziness” you describe is probably lack of energy because your body doesn’t have the right “fuel” in it now to get going.

Taking a probiotic like you mentioned also is a great idea- so important and will help get your gut bacteria under control. Good luck!!

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:11 pm
Cutting carbs reduces cravings

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:14 pm
Join a support group. I'm in same boat, I know the junky foods are bad for my health & also sometimes eat just because....

Lifetime struggle....when you are on a specific diet with support & reg weigh ins...& you pay...you are more committed.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 5:07 am
I was thinking of this thread on Motzei Shabbos when I was rummaging through the fridge and pantry looking for something to eat...

I caught myself thinking "What SHOULD I eat?" and discarding one thing after the other because it was too many carbs, not filling enough, fleishig vs milchig, etc. That kind of calculation usually ends up with me eating most of a full bag of tortilla chips because I don't have the energy to prepare whatever I "should" be eating.

So once I realized what was going on, I switched my question to "What do I WANT to eat?" and realized that I wanted some of the leftover meatballs. I enjoyed them, and more importantly was satisfied, not running back to the kitchen for more food all night, even though I was up very late.

I am a much healthier weight when I just eat what I enjoy and stop trying to punish myself with food. Food is a legitimate source of pleasure, and abstinence often backfires. Better that I eat one meal and feel both happy and full, than to eat one sparse meal and then feel deprived and need to snack all night.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 5:39 am
Op im amajor sugar addict.
Lately I’ve tried, if I start my day with zero carbs and sugar- no yogurt , bread, fruit or oatmeal for breakfast, then I really crave less sugar in my day bh.

Eat clean protein, fat etc
Tell yourself you can have the carb/sugar later in the day. And then keep pushing it some more.

The longer you push off the carbs, the less time you have left in the day to binge.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
Op im amajor sugar addict.
Lately I’ve tried, if I start my day with zero carbs and sugar- no yogurt , bread, fruit or oatmeal for breakfast, then I really crave less sugar in my day bh.

Eat clean protein, fat etc
Tell yourself you can have the carb/sugar later in the day. And then keep pushing it some more.

The longer you push off the carbs, the less time you have left in the day to binge.

Interesting how something different works for every person. I used to do the exact same thing as you. Started the day with egg white omelette or eggs including the yolks and cut up cucumbers, celery. Tuna or other fish for lunch with a big bowl of lettuce, olive oil and either diced avocado or chopped nuts added to the salad. Protein, healthy fats, very low carbs until evening . I ended up with crazy carb binges late in the day. Now I start the day with complex carbs like oatmeal, whole wheat pasta or homemade whole wheat bread and low fat or no fat dairy. I may add some carbs like a fruit or multi grain crackers to lunch. No carbs after 4 pm. This worked for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise