Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what age do you give yogurt?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:49 am
At what age do you give your baby dairy yogurt? And does flavor matter or any is okay? I’m pregnant and basically not cooking. I’m trying to introduce solids other than baby jars to my 7 month old but I really don’t have a lot of healthy options because chicken and meat are big no-no’s during pregnancy. I need healthy ideas and thought yogurt might be one.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:01 am
I give yogurt by 6 months. If you're looking for healthy, give greek yogurt.
Do you give baby cereal?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:04 am
11 months

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:07 am
The flavored ones are loaded with sugar. Plain with some jelly is a better choice.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
I give yogurt by 6 months. If you're looking for healthy, give greek yogurt.
Do you give baby cereal?

I try to give baby cereal but he hates it. He’s impossible to feed when he doesn’t like something.

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:16 am
I started no sugar added yogurt at 6 months old and I added a bit of pureed fruit from a pouch (Ella's kitchen). My baby is now over 1 and will eat plain unflavored greek yogurt.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:55 am
I started giving plain yogurt around 9 months old. I found at that age they have little expectation of what it should taste like so they eat it plain. You can also add pureed fruit, maple syrup, coconut sugar to taste.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:12 am
Chicken and meat are no no’s during pregnancy? Said who? And what’s the connection between pregnancy and your 7 month old?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:13 am
pesek zman wrote:
Chicken and meat are no no’s during pregnancy? Said who? And what’s the connection between pregnancy and your 7 month old?

She's saying she's too nauseous to cook and serve it.
OP, can you buy the ready chicken jars?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
tried it, he wouldn’t touch it. He’s a picky eater and they’re pretty horrible. If I was making chicken myself I would definitely feed him but I can’t tolerate the smell of it, cooked, baked or bought.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:18 am
None of my kids really warmed up to eating solids until 8/9 months. At 7 months hes not picky just probably not really ready for it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:23 am
OP, if he doesn't want solids, formula is enough for a 7 month old baby.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:28 am
Around 6-7 months I start yogurt. Best to give plain whole yogurt or whole Greek yogurt with no sugar added. You can add puréed fruit if you want, but not needed. My kids eat yogurt plain all the time and love it.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:29 am
ra_mom wrote:

Oops sorry didn’t catch that part

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:39 am
We started my grandson on whole milk yogurt at 5 months. He loves it. The YoBaby brand is good, because no added sugars, and us made with whole milk (as opposed to low fat - babies need the fat). It comes in large containers or single serving packs.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:44 am
Yogurt is fine at 7 mo. I always give plain

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
I try to give baby cereal but he hates it. He’s impossible to feed when he doesn’t like something.

My kids never went for cereal. You can get baby jars thats a combo- applesauce with cereal mixed

I gave yogurt at 7 months. Other dairy stuff I wanted a few more months.

Chicken soup from Shabbos is a good dish.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:40 pm
I mix baby cereal into the baby food jars both to make it more filling and less liquidy.

I start whole milk plain yogurt around 8 months after we've already done trials of cereals, veggies, fruits, and chicken/meat. Most kids are fine with plain yogurt because they don't know that there are tastier options. The one child I have who wouldn't eat it plain is perfectly happy to eat it with fruit puree mixed in for flavor.

nyc123

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:49 pm
Yogurt as good as long as it’s the no sugar added kind. Baked sweet potatoes are great for that age too. Also any vegetables cooked in a soup (cooked carrots, cooked celery- in big chunks so that they can grab it and try to bring to their mouths). If you want you can put some chicken in the soup too (if you can tolerate) but really no need - chicken is a little tough for them to manage at that age anyway- but he might chew on it, get some “juice” from it, and then spit it out. At this age, food is really about learning the coordination of eating and breathing, learning and building up muscles for chewing, swallowing, hand/eye coordination for grabbing food and bringing to the mouth. Food from 6-12 months is just about learning- not necessary for nutrition. So don’t stress too much! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics