Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o When you work full time you have a lot of cleaning help
Previous  1  2  3  4

Working Hours / Cleaning Help
I work full time - have no cleaning help  
 18%  [ 81 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 14%  [ 63 ]
I work full time - have cleaning help twice a week or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I work part time - have no cleaning help  
 13%  [ 61 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help once a wk or less  
 12%  [ 56 ]
I work part time - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
I am SAHM - have no cleaning help  
 7%  [ 33 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help once a week or less  
 6%  [ 30 ]
I am SAHM - have cleaning help twice a wk or more  
 9%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 444

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:33 pm
cm wrote:
I have been both a SAHM and a working mom. I have never had cleaning help. I think there is more to the decision-making process than "SAHM=wealthy."

Agreed. I can afford cleaning help but I don’t want it.

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:55 pm
I found this thread very eye-opening on many levels. I was a sahm for many years. It was a choice I made, to live more simply so that I could be home with my kids. Had I worked all those years, I imagine we would have a lot more money in the bank. I know couples where both work full-time. In my mind, of course those families have more disposable income - they are bringing in twice as much money!

It never occurred to me that sahm would equal wealthy, and full-time double income would equal struggling. I guess it depends on when and how the decision is made to stay home.

Boca00

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:26 pm
I work part time (abt 25 hours/wk) and have "live in help"... my kids sweep, mop, vacuum, wash walls, spray and wipe down counters and tables.

(Then my cleaning lady (3 hrs a week), my husband and myself get to clean up after them...)

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:27 pm
juggling wrote:
I found this thread very eye-opening on many levels. I was a sahm for many years. It was a choice I made, to live more simply so that I could be home with my kids. Had I worked all those years, I imagine we would have a lot more money in the bank. I know couples where both work full-time. In my mind, of course those families have more disposable income - they are bringing in twice as much money!

It never occurred to me that sahm would equal wealthy, and full-time double income would equal struggling. I guess it depends on when and how the decision is made to stay home.

It depends very much on what those single and double incomes are.

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
It depends very much on what those single and double incomes are.

Of course. I just found it surprising that so many people assume staying home is proof you have plenty of money, and working is proof you're struggling.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 7:31 am
juggling wrote:
Of course. I just found it surprising that so many people assume staying home is proof you have plenty of money, and working is proof you're struggling.

Where I live, it mostly correlates. Tuition is extremely expensive (most schools are $15-18k/kid) and if a mother isn't working without a reason (like primary caregiver to a really sick child or something), they are less likely to get scholarships which they probably need unless they are well off.

juggling

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:38 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Where I live, it mostly correlates. Tuition is extremely expensive (most schools are $15-18k/kid) and if a mother isn't working without a reason (like primary caregiver to a really sick child or something), they are less likely to get scholarships which they probably need unless they are well off.

So, again. My parents paid full tuition because they could afford to. They cut corners on everything else, because, after paying tuition, they had to. I guess I'm saying it isn't so simple as two neat categories of people, one who has everything they need and want with money left for extras, and the other who works hard and can barely cover their basic needs. There are a lot of people in between, who have money for some luxuries, but not all, and they make choices: sahm with no cleaning help, full tuition with no vacations in Miami. Etc.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:47 pm
juggling wrote:
So, again. My parents paid full tuition because they could afford to. They cut corners on everything else, because, after paying tuition, they had to. I guess I'm saying it isn't so simple as two neat categories of people, one who has everything they need and want with money left for extras, and the other who works hard and can barely cover their basic needs. There are a lot of people in between, who have money for some luxuries, but not all, and they make choices: sahm with no cleaning help, full tuition with no vacations in Miami. Etc.

Of course it's not a direct correlation and there are many variables. But like I said, where I live it mostly does correlate.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics