Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Perfect potato kugel-possible at home?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:38 pm
My family really loves the potato kugel at shul but we can't can't seem to approximate at home

cm

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:39 pm
What do you like about the shul kugel, and what are you having difficulty with at home?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:46 pm
cm wrote:
What do you like about the shul kugel, and what are you having difficulty with at home?

- it's much higher and lighter than the one at home
- you bite into it and it's softer
- has this delicious light taste the one I make it home always is very cakey

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:46 pm
My husband looves this kugel. He wouldn't let me make any other recipes:
Overnight Potato Kugel:
5 lb potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
8 large egg
1 cup oil
½ cup boiling water
1½ Tbsp salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grate the potatoes and onion. Mix in the eggs, oil and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 2 hours, uncovered.
After 2 hours, cover tightly with 3 layers of foil. Place a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of water. Lower oven temperature to 220F and bake 8 hours or overnight.

I make and bake all in advance. On Thursday night I put it straight in oven for abt 1/2 hr on 350 with a pan of water underneath and then put on 200/220 for the night.
Its almost gone by the time shabbos comes...

sitting

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:35 pm
The ones at shul have usually been heated for a long time . Try baking yours low and slow say a 9x13 for 2 hrs at least on 275.
Makes a big difference.
Also I find if your stingey on the oil and eggs you don't get the smooth texture.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:45 pm
sitting wrote:
The ones at shul have usually been heated for a long time . Try baking yours low and slow say a 9x13 for 2 hrs at least on 275.
Makes a big difference.
Also I find if your stingey on the oil and eggs you don't get the smooth texture.
got it! And the above recipe also seems to suggest that

Thank. You both

mybusyima

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 4:02 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
My husband looves this kugel. He wouldn't let me make any other recipes:
Overnight Potato Kugel:
5 lb potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
8 large egg
1 cup oil
½ cup boiling water
1½ Tbsp salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grate the potatoes and onion. Mix in the eggs, oil and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 2 hours, uncovered.
After 2 hours, cover tightly with 3 layers of foil. Place a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of water. Lower oven temperature to 220F and bake 8 hours or overnight.

I make and bake all in advance. On Thursday night I put it straight in oven for abt 1/2 hr on 350 with a pan of water underneath and then put on 200/220 for the night.
Its almost gone by the time shabbos comes...

I use this same recipe, I think it's from "Fresh and Easy" and it's definitely perfect!!!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 5:48 pm
mybusyima wrote:
I use this same recipe, I think it's from "Fresh and Easy" and it's definitely perfect!!!

I was just coming here to post the recipe when I saw it. Just made it this week, was very well worth the hassle! I got 2 round 9” and one loaf pan.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:26 pm
I'll definitely try it!

4everhappy

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:09 pm
Seltzer instead of water makes it alot fluffier.

hello 1

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:56 pm
Is this kosher salt or table salt?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:09 pm
sitting wrote:
Makes a big difference.

I bake mine on 350 for 2 hours then overnight. That is probably what the shul does. They keep it in a warmer or something over Friday night.

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:40 pm
This is honestly the only potato kugel that I have ever made that actually tasted good. I was always a terrible potato kugel maker but this one changed that. I have also made it into overnight kugel by adding some more water. https://cookingwithtantrums.co.....ugel/

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:51 pm
ectomorph wrote:
My family really loves the potato kugel at shul but we can't can't seem to approximate at home

Do you mean a very commercial taste from a caterer as opposed to heimish

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:53 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Do you mean a very commercial taste from a caterer as opposed to heimish
I haven't tried the above recipe yet so I'll hold off answering that question

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:08 pm
I've never met a potato kugel I didn't like ... however, the one thing I stay away from is adding fillers such as flour

ratio is usually one egg per potato the rest is flavour to your liking ... I add garlic to my ground mix

if you really want a professional cater-like version you need a meat grinder attachment to a kitchen-aid & voila

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:15 pm
My mother makes the best 8 Potatoes, 5 Eggs, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup seltzer, salt and pepper to taste. Do not use a food processor, grate it by hand.

Last edited by nchr on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:23 pm
nchr wrote:
My mother makes the best potato kugel. It's the only food I miss since being vegan. 8 Potatoes, 5 Eggs, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup seltzer, salt and pepper to taste. Do not use a food processor, grate it by hand.

grating by hand is essential imho ...

as for vegan ... replace each egg with 1 tbs flax seed mixed with 3 tbs hot water ... let stand 5 minute until it thickens

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 5:49 pm
Use the S-blade in the food processor and process until it's small pieces, but not mushy. This keeps your kugel fluffy.
You will have to empty the food processor bowl into a mixing bowl after processing each batch of potatoes and onions, so that the pieces that were already processed don't get mushy when you do the next batch.

carnation

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:19 pm
The Braun food processor's kugel blade gives the same results as hand grated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes