Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS keeps getting sick and Dr says it’s all good

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:47 am
My six yr old ds keeps getting sick. Just about every week or other week he gets a cold, strep or virus. I think something is up. Since the summer, he hasn’t been himself. More anxiety, more irritability.. and he is doing well in school- academically and socially as far as I can tell. My doctor doesn’t see anything unusual. He says it’s because these days ppl are sending their kids to school sick (with Tylenol to bring down the fever) and my son is the unlucky recipient of these germs. I would like to have bloodwork done to check if there is an underlying sickness or situation that is allowing my ds to catch all these things so easily. My doc thinks I’m just being a nervous mother- which I’ll admit I am in general. But I’m still convinced he needs bloodwork. How do I know if this is my intuition speaking or my anxiety as a parent? How much more should I push?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:52 am
is this the first year he is in a "school" setting. kids often get sick more when they first start being around a lot of kids. I probably would still push. the dr. might still say no and you might have to try to find a different dr. or an alternative one

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:52 am
Ask for blood work. Could be as simple as iron deficiency. ..

Go for a second opinion to a different pediatrician if you don't feel comfortable.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:02 am
Thanks for your responses. He’s been in a school setting before and while he does get more sick than some of my other kids.. this year it’s a lot more. I’m so uncomfortable going to another doctor even though I might have to. Is there a pediatrician that ppl go to just for second opinions or like a thorough check up kind of thing? I’m in Brooklyn.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:02 am
the first thing that comes to my mind is this book that I read a while ago it's called
"Cure your child with food : the hidden connection between nutrition and childhood ailments."

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:37 am
I have a child who has always been sickly. Sick every week almost. MRSA more than 30 times. My doctor told me to put her on a good probiotic with more than one strain and see what happens. He's had it work wonders.
I put her on Prodermix APDII and BH! Two weeks later we had a different child. MRSA almost completey disappeared, her color changed for the good, she started growing after being stunted...
Doesn't hurt to try,

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:40 am
I’m actually a big fan of giving my kids probiotics but I usually just give them the kiddie maxi health version. Where do you get the one you are referring to? Is it a company or a type?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:56 am
Why does your dr refuse to do a blood test if she keeps getting sick & you are asking for one? You can start with a finger prick....hatzlacha! Hope it's minor....not like what my child had.....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:59 am
It's a company. I get it at Supreme, but I'm sure other stores sell it as well. It's a heimishe brand. I mamash saw wonders with it. I was totally surprised. I knew probiotics were good, but only gave occasionally. Doc (real, certified MD), said to give it to her twice or even three times a day at first.
It took two weeks to see a change, but the change was massive. And I've missed giving her the probiotics three times in the last few months and each time, she came down with MRSA.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:11 am
You are his best advocate. If you have a feeling that it isn’t “nothing”, please take him for a second opinion. It could be something simple like a vitamin deficiency, as other posters said. But you want to know you did everything you could to keep your child healthy.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:25 am
Walk in with confidence and say ds needs a general work up blood test. Insist on it.
Once you get blood work back (and I assume all will be fine) go to the health food store and get supplements to build up his immunity.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:29 am
Thank you all so much. I feel better now about pushing for bloodwork. And I’m going to look for the probiotics.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:59 am
another thing, there may be a food that he is sensitive to or his body needs more nutrition.
My dd who have had multiple ear infections and got sick soo often and we tested her for allergies (kinesiologist) got her off food and gave her probiotics. I read up on the book Cure your child with food and started giving her healthy food choices. its very informative... got it from the library.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
another thing, there may be a food that he is sensitive to or his body needs more nutrition.
My dd who have had multiple ear infections and got sick soo often and we tested her for allergies (kinesiologist) got her off food and gave her probiotics. I read up on the book Cure your child with food and started giving her healthy food choices. its very informative... got it from the library.

Kinesiologist don't "test" for anything. I've heard horror stories of people who have been damaged by such "testing."
Likely, the only thing you've done to your daughter is take away yummy foods, while also getting her on a probiotic, which is good. Most stam, she'd be fine WITH the yummy foods and the probiotics.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:56 pm
Go to an ENT and have his tonsils looked over.

DD was constantly sick with everything under the sun. Once we got her tonsils out she's been B'H as healthy as a horse. If everyone else in the house is sick for a week, she'll be over it in 24 hours. Usually the bugs and viruses skip her altogether these days.

baked ziti

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:12 pm
I had a very similar experience. My daughter was also quite pale. Her pediatrician was dismissive but I insisted on doing bloodwork. It turned out that she had mono. Symptoms in young children are less pronounced than they would be in teens and adults. Recurring infections, such as strep, sinusitis, and ear infections, is a very big indication. They are usually more tired or cranky. Definitely push for bloodwork. By the time I got my results she was at the tail end of it and I felt awful about having missed it.

P.S. We switched to a different pediatrician. A mom knows her child best. A pediatrician must respect that. I was also disappointed that the dr failed to notice that my child was back every other week.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 12:34 pm
Did you get to bottom of it or got to try to boost his immunity?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 1:30 pm
Was there possibly a tick bite in the summer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics