Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Pomegranate-Lacquered Roast Chicken

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:59 pm
Nice variation on classic roast chicken. Notes are the authoress

Pomegranate-Lacquered Roast Chicken

Excerpt From: Miri Rotkovitz. “Bubbe and Me in the Kitchen.

SERVES 4 | MEAT

I very much wanted to pay homage to my grandmother’s role in my own early love of duck. But thanks to the cold water processing that tends to leave kosher ducks riddled with pinfeathers, I thought better of that plan. Instead, I treated a whole chicken to the pomegranate reduction intended for birds of another feather.

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

FOR THE CHICKEN

1 yellow or Spanish onion, peeled, halved, and sliced
1 (3½- to 5-pound) roasting chicken
½ lemon or orange
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ to ½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)

FOR THE POMEGRANATE REDUCTION

1 cup pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce

MAKE THE CHICKEN: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spread the onions in a roasting pan. If there are any giblets or the neck in the chicken cavity, remove and discard them, or freeze for stock if desired. Pluck any pinfeathers, then rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water and pat dry.

Place the chicken on top of the onions, breast up. Place the halved lemon or orange in the cavity, and truss the chicken if desired. Drizzle a little olive oil over the chicken and massage it all over the skin. Season with a pinch of salt, a few grinds of black pepper, cinnamon, and cumin, and rub all over the chicken. Let the chicken rest briefly while you make the pomegranate reduction.

MAKE THE POMEGRANATE REDUCTION: In a medium saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice, honey, brown sugar, and tamari. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour half into a small serving pitcher or bowl, and set aside.
Place the chicken in the preheated oven

Place the chicken in the preheated oven and roast for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 425° and roast for 30 minutes. Brush the chicken with some of the pomegranate reduction from the saucepan. Continue roasting, basting with pan juices and brushing once or twice more with pomegranate reduction, until cooked through, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken. The chicken is done when the juices run clear, the legs wiggle freely in their joints, and a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F.

Remove the chicken from the oven, tent with foil, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Garnish with pomegranate seeds if using, and serve with the reserved pomegranate reduction on the side.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey