Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What is life like in Dallas?
Previous  1  2

SRB

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:34 pm
Op here. Thank you for the info. I think I need a better understanding of the community in terms of hashkafas. It sounds like there is only a small percentage of RWMO (shomer Shabbat, kosher/chalav stam, zionistic, patriotic I.e. celebrate thanksgiving), and that the majority of the community is left wing MO (eat veggie out, have tv, wear pants), Chabad and yeshivish/kollel - am I correct? Can anyone tell me more about the hashkafic breakdown? BTW I'm not making any judgments on anyone, I'm very much a live and let live type.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:53 pm
SRB wrote:
Op here. Thank you for the info. I think I need a better understanding of the community in terms of hashkafas. It sounds like there is only a small percentage of RWMO (shomer Shabbat, kosher/chalav stam, zionistic, patriotic I.e. celebrate thanksgiving), and that the majority of the community is left wing MO (eat veggie out, have tv, wear pants), Chabad and yeshivish/kollel - am I correct? Can anyone tell me more about the hashkafic breakdown? BTW I'm not making any judgments on anyone, I'm very much a live and let live type.

I’m not familiar with Dallas but lived in 3 different communities in the past couple of years. One in the tristate.

I mean absolutely zero offense when I say this, But MO is a very broad spectrum and so is RWMO etc. to you someone wearing pants and eating vegetarian with no hechsher is ‘next level’ but to them they are more RW cuz they wear a scarf / hat.

I think the best way to get a sense of a school is to either look at website/ videos if they have and of course to visit.

No school will be a perfect fit, it’s always a matter of prioritizing values.

SRB

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:30 am
amother wrote:
I’m not familiar with Dallas but lived in 3 different communities in the past couple of years. One in the tristate.

I mean absolutely zero offense when I say this, But MO is a very broad spectrum and so is RWMO etc. to you someone wearing pants and eating vegetarian with no hechsher is ‘next level’ but to them they are more RW cuz they wear a scarf / hat.

I think the best way to get a sense of a school is to either look at website/ videos if they have and of course to visit.

No school will be a perfect fit, it’s always a matter of prioritizing values.

I agree with you on most points however I'm trying to get an idea of this, and other communities we are considering via research from afar BEFORE we decide if it has enough to offer us that it's worth making a trip. I have little kids so not so easy to up and take several unnecessary trips. Yes I can look at a website but that gives me only a picture of the image a school is trying to project - I'm interested in hearing insider experiences. I won't learn from the school's website that there is high turn over in the administration or opinions of the people/staff, etc. And yes I agree that MO is a broad spectrum however, I need to use a descriptive term to express my question. Btw I'm a BT and I've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC and Israel - im very familiar with the diversity in the Jewish spectrum ... I've been everything from secular to where am today. But back to the point - I'm here to get insider info before I decide to take a trip.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating