Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
ElAl sale, I'm so torn - miss school/work?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:57 am
They get more out of it if they have time before Pesach to tour, explore and experience. Be upfront with the school and teachers as soon as you know. I’d like to think that most would be supportive. There is very little travel time given off. (On the flipside, they get home to early and get inthe way of cleaning and prep...)
You know your school. If they are like Amother Silver's school or like others it may make a difference.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:58 am
amother wrote:
Well, message-wise, there's definitely a difference between going to EY and going to Florida, Switzerland, or a cruise. But it's still similar that it makes a scene when they come back days after everyone else. Maybe there will be others doing the same but it doesn't have to be my kids.

Still a lot to weigh.

I shared that we went last year to clarify that it's not exactly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us. Still very precious but if we had never been to EY, especially for yom tov, then I wouldn't have so many doubts about doing it this way.

Re: the bolded - this may be true to Frum Jews but in most jobs in the working world, time off is perceived as time off. I think it important for our children to recognize that we can’t always do what we want at our convenience from an early age.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:32 am
As someone in Europe who is paying a lot of money to El Al - to fly a shorter distance than you - for Pesach, I say go for it! What a great deal Smile

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:37 am
As an elementary school teacher for over 20 years. Go for it!!!! No amount of my excellent teaching can compete with quality family time for a child's mental health, growth and development. Sure I play a critical role in your child's growth and learning- but family? Nothing compares.
Go go go

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:28 am
amother wrote:
Re: the bolded - this may be true to Frum Jews but in most jobs in the working world, time off is perceived as time off. I think it important for our children to recognize that we can’t always do what we want at our convenience from an early age.

While this is true, there is also the important lesson of teaching priorities. Even if your boss is not happy about you leaving early on Fridays you do it and your kids know it. For something like this it's important to explain that visiting ey and spending yuntiff with family is our priority

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:59 am
amother wrote:
I'm writing as an administrator in a school --
Yes, you are sending a terrible message to the school and your children. Namely, your children's teachers who work so hard day in day out are of second importance. It is so so hard on a teacher and a school to have children leaving early and coming back late. And we will definitely talk about you behind your back, and treat your children differently because we disagree with your choices.
Sadly we are raising children today in a completely self-centered, selfish world where we justify things we do because they're convenient for us, without thinking of the consequences on anybody else.

I'll get bashed for saying it, but just telling it like it is...

(Rant over)

Wow. Lost focus much? Have we really come to the point that grades and a full classroom take precedence over showing our children that Eretz Yisrael should be a focal point of our lives? That it is our national homeland, given to us by G-d and it is central to our lives? I will never forget when my parents brought me to EY as a child of seven- the trip had a lasting impact on my life- most importantly it taught me how choshuv the land is, how visiting and supporting and dwelling in the land should be important to every Jew. OP of course you should take your children to Eretz Yisrael- every step in the land is a mitzvah.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:14 am
Six days of school is far from nothing and it will set your daughter back at least a week when she gets back. If you go it is your responsibility as a parent to reach out to the teacher and proactively help your kids catch up . That being said, I would still go.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:00 am
Go! Lucky you!
BUT It would be smart to speak to the school about your plans before the Pesach rush. Advise them about your dilemma and your decision. Ask them for advice as to how to ensure that your children miss out on a minimal amount of schoolwork. They are big partners in your child’s upbringing, and you should treat them as such. Mutual respect is very important in a sticky situation like this.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:06 am
I would take my kids out!

And to the administrator - treating kids differently because their parents make a choice? You are in the wrong career. Please post the name of the school that you work in so that we can all make sure our kids no longer attend.

yc

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:16 am
if you can afford to take off work - Go!!! and enjoy!! Family is a huge value here.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:34 am
My husband teaches so we can never get those great deals since we can't take time off during the cheap times. Guess my kids won't grow up loving Eretz Yisrael because of that...

Just curious, all of you encouraging amother, would it be the same if it was your childs teacher missing 3 days before and after pesach because that is the only way she can go to EY?

Not that I think kids should never miss school. but I find sometimes the parents who who take weeks off school each year to go on vacation when it is cheaper are the first to complain if the school closes or teacher takes off.

Also, just want to point out, touring in Israel is not cheap. Hopefully you have a place to stay but unless you stick to free things like the kotel, travelling and entry admissions cost money.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:40 am
As someone who has worked in schools for many years, I'd say it's only a minor nuisance for school and child when an early elementary child misses an extra 3 days on each side of a vacation.

Compared to, say, the parents who resist having a struggling child evaluated, or the ones who blame the school when their darling gets a poor grade, I'd say it's not a big deal at all.

And the advantage in family connection and connection to EY is huge.

I'd do it if I were you.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
My husband teaches so we can never get those great deals since we can't take time off during the cheap times. Guess my kids won't grow up loving Eretz Yisrael because of that...

Just curious, all of you encouraging amother, would it be the same if it was your childs teacher missing 3 days before and after pesach because that is the only way she can go to EY?

Not that I think kids should never miss school. but I find sometimes the parents who who take weeks off school each year to go on vacation when it is cheaper are the first to complain if the school closes or teacher takes off.

Also, just want to point out, touring in Israel is not cheap. Hopefully you have a place to stay but unless you stick to free things like the kotel, travelling and entry admissions cost money.

Yes, teachers are allowed to take vacation days, too. I know some schools have a policy that teachers can't extend school vacations but as a parent, I want my kids' teachers to take all their allotted vacation days. Teachers need a break, too.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:43 am
amother wrote:

We've had teachers who did this and the kids had substitutes. I'm sure they don't do it every year but sometimes everybody's just got to chill a bit.

salt

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:44 am
amother wrote:

A teacher taking off work during school time is between the teacher and the principle. Assuming the principle agrees and brings in a suitable replacement, it wouldn't bother me.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:53 am
essie14 wrote:
Yes, teachers are allowed to take vacation days, too. I know some schools have a policy that teachers can't extend school vacations but as a parent, I want my kids' teachers to take all their allotted vacation days. Teachers need a break, too.

My husband gets paid hourly for his teaching. He doesn't get any sick days or vacation days. If he misses school, he doesn't get paid. He has another job which is salaried. All our vacation days have to be during school vacation time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:19 am
My advice would be to go.
But, just to add another teacher's perspective, it is very annoying when I have to scramble around and get together assignments and materials ahead of time for a student going on a trip, only to have the kid come back and not having completed a stitch of it (which is what happens 99% of the time). I'd rather just know I have to catch the kid up on their return. It's a lot easier that way, imo.
I don't think non teachers realize it really is asking the teacher to go out of her way.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:20 am
Amother Pewter: I don't care when my kids' teachers take off, but are you really comparing a teacher taking off to a student taking off?

Teaching is a job. Many people can't take off work to go vacationing.

It's almost like me complaining when one of my clients go on vacation. It means less money for me, and more to catch up with them when they get back. But, that's life and sometimes you have to deal with it.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
As a teacher I'll add: you say you'll have the kids make up the work, but realize that the teacher has to put in special preparation at a time of year when no one has a minute to spare I order to have everything ready for your child, especially for the week after vacation which she's probably intending to prepare at midnight isru chag.
Then your children will come back, jet lagged, and the teacher will have to reintroduce them to routines, having already done that with the class, whole catching then up on the work they missed, because no matter what you intend, they won't have learned everything they missed.
We understand why you do this, but please recognize how difficult it is for the teacher.
Also, especially in the lower grades where so much of the learning is through frontal stories, your child will miss more than you think.

A teacher should not be preparing documentation on isru chag. The same material should be used annually and should be updated the summer prior. There should be a planner and the schedule should be followed. If I ask you for the work for the second week in March today, you should be able to give it to me today, although some stuff may change slightly or be added. I said to go on vacation and I'm a person who will send my kids to school with fevers, so...

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
Amother Pewter: I don't care when my kids' teachers take off, but are you really comparing a teacher taking off to a student taking off?

Teaching is a job. Many people can't take off work to go vacationing.

It's almost like me complaining when one of my clients go on vacation. It means less money for me, and more to catch up with them when they get back. But, that's life and sometimes you have to deal with it.

This. A teacher is in charge of a classroom of 20-30 kids.

A single student's absence does not impact the ability of the classroom to operate as usual.

Besides, in the end, we have to do what is best for us and our kids, and not what is best for our teacher. In making my choice, I would take into consideration the ticket prices, the ability to make up lost schoolwork, the educational value, etc -- NOT how the teacher personally feels about my child missing school.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics