Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is there a name for this? What is it?
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:38 pm
I once taught a child in an excellent special ed program who came to us with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS which would now fall under ASD. The excellent neuro-psychologist who gave the diagnosis called us to explain that it was not an accurate diagnosis, but she gave it so he would be able to get services. (He technically had enough of the signs, but it was really not that.) Is such a thing possible?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
I once taught a child in an excellent special ed program who came to us with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS which would now fall under ASD. The excellent neuro-psychologist who gave the diagnosis called us to explain that it was not an accurate diagnosis, but she gave it so he would be able to get services. (He technically had enough of the signs, but it was really not that.) Is such a thing possible?

Yes, that's what I was advised to do as well. My d's had some signs of ASD, but not enough to fit the diagnosis. I was advised to push a bit for the diagnosis... even if it's not 100% accurate, because it opens up services, which quite honestly you really do need.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:03 pm
It was suggested to me too since my ADHD son checks off many ASD boxes but I am very mixed on ABA therapy so I never actually did it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:38 pm
My DD was evaluated 3 times in 10 years. Twice, we were told she didn't have ASD, but had ADHD, and some other problems. The third time, b"H, she was evaluated by an expert in ASD, who was able to explain to us how it presented differently in girls.

So, if you think your DD might have ASD, it's possible she does, even if someone says they don't think so.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:06 am
Don't get hung up on the precise alphabet soup diagnosis. She is so so young. I'm not sure it's possible to even accurately diagnose what she has at that age.
You sound like an amazing and attentive mom. Try to get her into some therapy that will help her with social skills and don't worry, I bet with care and early intervention she will grow out of whatever atypical behaviors she is exhibiting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)