Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Behavior Therapy

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:16 pm
Hi, I think my oldest, 6 year old son in first grade, needs some sort of behavior therapy but I have no idea how to begin? or How do I go about this?

Who pays a BCBA?

His main issues are impulse control, following direction. He is extremely advanced in reading.

Do I need to go through school through Board of Ed? Can I get it through health insurance? I live in Jersey and have Amerigroup Jersey Care.

I would love to get him art therapy since he LOVES to cut, color, glue, draw, etc.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:41 pm
You can get ABA through insurance if you have a diagnosis for him that calls for it.

Your first step is to have him evaluated.

Art therapy or art classes might be fun for him, but they are less likely to help with impulse control.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:25 pm
imasinger wrote:
You can get ABA through insurance if you have a diagnosis for him that calls for it.

Your first step is to have him evaluated.

Art therapy or art classes might be fun for him, but they are less likely to help with impulse control.

Who would I call to get him evaluated? Would the evaluation be covered by insurance?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:23 am
Can anyone advise me please ??
I need to get this ball rolling.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:04 am
Usually an autism diagnosis is needed for insurance to cover ABA. I don't know about amerigroup jersey care but United healthcare community plan does not have ABA coverage, and since both are jersey care it may be similar. Check with your insurance company before running around to chase a diagnosis.
Assuming your child is in private school, even with an IEP the board of Ed is not providing ABA services. Mo's of what you will get will be through catapult/tree of knowledge or whichever agency is providing services in your child's school.
It's a tough spot to be in, I've been there. Unfortunately at times the only option is paying privately but that isn't always reasonable or realistic.
Good luck! May you see much nachas and growth with your child

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:06 am
Additionally, as I see you wrote about difficulty following directions, you may want to consider a speech evaluation. That is probably more easily covered if you find a provider in network (I don't know what your network is like but I think it's better than United healthcare is right now)

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:35 am
He gets speech already through health insurance.

He’s in yeshivah.

Paying privately is NOT an option.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:40 am
Call your health insurance and ask them which therapies are covered. Then ask for a list of local providers. If it's not covered by insurance, ask the school if they have experience getting anything covered through the board of Ed.

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:58 am
Call an agency in your area. They wiil be able to guide you.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:18 am
I have a child with similar issues who is a few years older. He has done great with regular old talk therapy. When he was younger, they did a lot of behavioral charts and other strategies to work on impulse control. Now they focus more on social skills. Its not cheap but its also no where near as expensive as ABA therapy.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 3:13 pm
You can try the school social worker (it's free) and see if they could be helpful. Local clinics like Chemed or LCSC take Jersey Care for social work which could deal with some behavioral issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics